Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

Are you riding on the drops? I rarely ever do that. I'd say 70% on the hoods, 26% on the tops, and 4% on the drops.
Riding on the hoods
So maybe I will make the adjustment to it

But at a certain point I don't see what I'm getting from hoods over the flat bars that I love.

It seems like everyone has agreed these bars are best - and cycling has this relentless pursuit of perfection to the nth degree of conformity on everything that seems joyless to me.

It was my choice to listen to all these people, so it's totally on me.
Just wish I liked this thing more, that I just spent €3,000 on.

I love the saddle. It's amazing my two butt bones sit on it perfectly. Fuck a Brooks.

just had my first spin on the 'good' bike in over 8 months. 27km, and i kept it easy; it's gas how little dialling back the effort affects your speed. kept it totally aerobic, no getting out of breath and averaged 25.5km/h, where if i'd bust a gut when i was fit, i'd usually make it to 30 (plenty of traffic lights for the first and last few km prevent a faster average).

I seriously doubt so, without further expensive outlay; the shifters on the bike he bought would have been designed for drop bars, so as well as new bars, you'd need brake levers and shifters too.
One of the reasons cyclists are so 'conformist' is down partly to marketing but also down to conforming to the rules of physics. The modern road bike is about selling speed, and a huge amount of that is aerodynamics. The bike he bought conforms to that design goal; wider bars will increase your drag coefficient. A more upright position will also do that.

And when I say 'modern road bike', that's the latest iteration in a design which goes back many many decades. Even 'comfortable' tourer bikes usually conform to the same basic design.

Non cyclists have often thought I'm odd when I mention that the saddle on my road bikes are visibly higher than the bars; takes a little bit of adjusting from your lower back muscles but makes life easier in the long run.

can you retrofit?
Not worth it
I can make the adjustment with my attitude and my body for what I have to do

It's more like I feel I spent decades finding my joy in biking and I'm after giving over that to a system I don't love. Like I haven't kept my own counsel strongly enough. Excuse the solipsistic angst.

I love my bikes. I get them I feel good getting on them every single time. This new one feels like an applicance.
We'll see.

1715554731269.png
1715554774913.png

1715554814687.png

I should love this one. Maybe I will in time.

1715554893874.png

i'm not that familiar with the specialized range, but i suspect the roubaix name suggests it's for nice long rides on country backroads.

just one thing i noticed (and this is a possible 'spend more money' comment) that some people prefer SPD 'clipless' pedals to SPD-SL.
the difference is SPD pedals are double sided, so easier to clip into, plus as the cleat itself is smaller, you can get shoes it's recessed into so you're not doing that duck walk when off the bike.

My panniers dont fit on my folding bike so I'm *considering* getting some kind of vertical bromptom style bag.

I should do work instead of looking though

jaysus cycling indeed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How does that happen, do you think?

Like how does the Merc not see her?

Went for a sunrise biek ride this morning and met a friend while out
super early
He texted me later with a link saying "I will buy you any helmet you like"
I don't ride with a helmet, but videos like that.......

I had the 'almost' version of that this morning.
Lucklily i live near a school where almost everyone drives an SUV or some stupid german status thing so you know, on the actual sight or sound of a car that they are gonna do something stupid.

I'm days away from becoming a camera guy though, i've see a fucking lot in 6 hours of commuting this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back