Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

Still not convinced of this tbh
I have done research - and not looking to open the can of worms here.
Everyone likes what they like and they get used to what they like.

It's more a comment on the judginess of cyclists than the actual system in question.

Appreciate the info on the Ti bike
yeah, i've seen videos that the benefits are not quite as people claim.
one of the claims is that you are able to pull up on the upstroke, which you can't do on 'normal' pedals and you get to use some extra muscles doing so.
i'm just so used to clip'less' pedals that normal ones feel a bit strange.

Not even close, tbf. I think at one point about 50 years ago we came close to two deaths per day. It's about a third of that now.

I just looked at the numbers and now I'm in a wormhole trying to see what the big change across 2000 to about 2010 when the numbers halved more or less. It's been status quo since then. although car ownership is forever rising here i think.

The roads honestly feel lawless at the minute.
Tame enough examples from the last 24 hours...

I was nearly mowed down by a van crossing this roundabout last night. I'm going straight through, he's coming from left to right. Didn't slow coming to the white line. Mitigating factor, traffic was built up going from right to left so he thought he had a clear path, and did give an apology.

Google Maps

Next bit home. Car overtook me here and turned left, just a full on left turn across me. It's a bit of a hill, so i can have the head down and not be looking forward all the time depending on tiredness. Cheers prick.

Google Maps

This morning. After the roundabout it's a bus and cycle lane only. Consistently it used to have one or two cars chancing it, now every morning there is 4-6 cars and vans. This morning the light (at the end there) had turned red. A car passing the roundabout when then light, way ahead, had turned red, just fucked on through. That's a good 10 seconds. The other side is open to all traffic, people on bikes would be first in the queue and should be taking the center of the road to stop cars behind trying to squeeze past. So dickhead there could have hit anyone coming over that hill. Unreal.

Google Maps

Just some of the usual business out there. 80% of cars overtaking me are too close on a daily basis. Wife is still on N plates and is constantly tailgated and beeped when going at the speed limit.

Tame enough examples from the last 24 hours...

I was nearly mowed down by a van crossing this roundabout last night. I'm going straight through, he's coming from left to right. Didn't slow coming to the white line. Mitigating factor, traffic was built up going from right to left so he thought he had a clear path, and did give an apology.

Google Maps

Next bit home. Car overtook me here and turned left, just a full on left turn across me. It's a bit of a hill, so i can have the head down and not be looking forward all the time depending on tiredness. Cheers prick.

Google Maps

This morning. After the roundabout it's a bus and cycle lane only. Consistently it used to have one or two cars chancing it, now every morning there is 4-6 cars and vans. This morning the light (at the end there) had turned red. A car passing the roundabout when then light, way ahead, had turned red, just fucked on through. That's a good 10 seconds. The other side is open to all traffic, people on bikes would be first in the queue and should be taking the center of the road to stop cars behind trying to squeeze past. So dickhead there could have hit anyone coming over that hill. Unreal.

Google Maps

Just some of the usual business out there. 80% of cars overtaking me are too close on a daily basis. Wife is still on N plates and is constantly tailgated and beeped when going at the speed limit.
that's a shit situation. I haven't cycled through traffic since before covid but there was so much shit happening every week that rattled my confidence, and I was sure something was going to happen me sooner or later. During covid I went into the office the odd day, and it was great because of no cars. But I could never go back to cycling through traffic again. I guess its different where I'm living now and the cycling infrastructure us actually quite decent in the city here in Kilkenny, but the chances of me needing to cycle again are nil.

i live near this junction, and there was yet another cyclist taken off his bike a few weeks ago. any of the incidents i've seen there (well, i saw the aftermath, not the actual incidents) have been motorists coming out of the side road and clipping a cyclist who's on the main road. no issue with visibility, just the usual example of motorists looking for other cars and blind to anything else.

i've positioned the camera to be facing the way the motorist would be looking when pulling out.

that's a shit situation. I haven't cycled through traffic since before covid but there was so much shit happening every week that rattled my confidence, and I was sure something was going to happen me sooner or later. During covid I went into the office the odd day, and it was great because of no cars. But I could never go back to cycling through traffic again. I guess its different where I'm living now and the cycling infrastructure us actually quite decent in the city here in Kilkenny, but the chances of me needing to cycle again are nil.
I'm just going from work and back, so know the route well and where the dodgiest bits are. I'll always pull in when I cross the Navan road going up Nephin to let the red light skippers behind me fuck off ahead of me.

Massive drop in drink driving and huge improvements in car safety are usually cited as the main reasons for the drop.

when you factor in the smaller population, and much fewer cars on the road in the 70s the numbers then become even scarier. I love to pull those stats out when my parents/uncles go into the 'sure we all drove home in the snow after 72pints, had a race to the chipper in ballygob, and all got home safely' nonsense

@ann post first big scrappage scheme late 90s/early 00s might have had an impact.

the way car safety has been going (though this effect has levelled off a lot, i suspect), it's now *more* dangerous to hit another car in your say 20 year old car than when it was new. because if you hit a newer car, it'll carve its way much further into your car than another 20 year old car would.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Final four from the fitter

It is getting exciting

Comments from you pros welcome

Trek Domane SL or SLR 60cm (110mm 15° stem)

Specialized Roubaix 58cm (100mm 15°)

BMC road machine 58cm (110mm 17°)

Giant defy (XL) (100mm 17°)

Final four from the fitter

It is getting exciting

Comments from you pros welcome

Trek Domane SL or SLR 60cm (110mm 15° stem)

Specialized Roubaix 58cm (100mm 15°)

BMC road machine 58cm (110mm 17°)

Giant defy (XL) (100mm 17°)
any more info on the specs. The above are frames, so would be good to see the wheels, groupset, etc

In that case, I'd go for BMC. Always loved their bikes.
BMC

This road bike has a Premium Carbon frame and fork designed using TCC Endurance technology, and features ICS technology, Stealth Cable Routing and a Premium Carbon D-Shape seatpost. Our ICS2 stem plus compact aluminium bars work seamlessly with the Shimano Ultegra Di2 12-speed groupset, and the 35mm CRD-321 tubeless-ready wheelset and compact gearing maximise speed everywhere.

BMC

This road bike has a Premium Carbon frame and fork designed using TCC Endurance technology, and features ICS technology, Stealth Cable Routing and a Premium Carbon D-Shape seatpost. Our ICS2 stem plus compact aluminium bars work seamlessly with the Shimano Ultegra Di2 12-speed groupset, and the 35mm CRD-321 tubeless-ready wheelset and compact gearing maximise speed everywhere.
are you getting Di2?

do not go for tubeless, would be my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back