Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

I meant impede the traffic behind you
Yes you do move with the traffic;
But if you both turn right and you are positioned as the pic indicates as in front Right Hand Side, you have to drift across to the left side of the road in front of the driver when the turn is made, making yourself very vulnerable and also slowing down everyone behind you in the process.
I don't know how to explain it any better than that sorry
Yes, that would be true if you were crossing to an open single lane on the other side, where I needed to end up on his left.
But the likely hood of either of us getting fully across to the end position at that junction in daytime is practically nil. There’s a turning ‘bay’ for want of a better word for cars so they can get across two lanes of traffic coming from their right and wait to enter their lane. This is a two way ‘filter bay’ so cars from other direction can enter the road we’ve just come from. (Which is one reason I don’t go to the left hand side on that junction).

I turn in the same arc as any car, but end up closer to the pedestrian crossing, we’ll out of everyone’s way while crossing, and awaiting my chance to get across to the bike lane on other side

No lights no turning arrows. We’re there ones I’d have been on the left

But if you both turn right and you are positioned as the pic indicates as in front Right Hand Side, you have to drift across to the left side of the road in front of the driver when the turn is made, making yourself very vulnerable and also slowing down everyone behind you in the process.
I’d still argue that you’re in a queue in that situation and the traffic behind just has to accept moving slower or waiting for the next turn of the lights. You’re not causing an obstruction, you are in a position to be seen and safe. As a cyclist, it’s what I’d do. As a driver, I’d prefer to know where the cyclist is so I don’t hit them. I’m sitting down in a warm, dry box on wheels with decent tunes on the stereo - why do I need to get around a corner a couple of seconds faster?

One thing you learn while cycling is that it's often safest to position yourself so as you 'deliberately' block cars. Usually referred to as taking primary position or taking the lane. If you cycle in the gutter, motorists will pass you with no regard for you. If you take primary position, you 'force' them to overtake in a proper and safer manner.

One thing you learn while cycling is that it's often safest to position yourself so as you 'deliberately' block cars. Usually referred to as taking primary position or taking the lane. If you cycle in the gutter, motorists will pass you with no regard for you. If you take primary position, you 'force' them to overtake in a proper and safer manner.
this. Its a while since I cycled in traffic but I did it for the guts of 30 years. If the choice it to give the car the opportunity to overtake you, but put yourself in danger by doing so, or blocking them and risk pissing them off, its a bit of a no-brainer decision.

Usually theres a bunch of cyclists at every junction at rush hour. They all spill out across the road in front of the first car. It used to annoy me a bit because I'd have taken up my position all of a sudden for it to be blocked in by a load of lads on bikes who I'd just overtaken.

When you cycle the same route every day you get very tuned into traffic light sequences. I'd always be inclined to anticipate the green light coming, and be slowly moving off as the light is changing. That gets me ahead of the other cyclists (who tend not to do the same), and the cars.

If i was taking the right turn on that jizz of a junction, here's what i would do. Act like a car. Any cars ahead waiting to turn, pull up behind them. When it's my turn at the front i'd be taking pretty much the center. It's a small road space, so don't want anyone trying to squeeze past either side. Middle bit looks minging, but I'd be taking it like a car I think as well. When crossing the rest i'd be going as straight as possible and only pulling right at the last minute, to give impatient cunts behind me the opportunity to turn right earlier if they want.

Honky junction to have to manipulate every day.

yeah.

I'd do one more, I'd pretend to be a bit shit. If there was someone getting angsty and crawling around my ass, I'd throw fake wobbles in. Do little unpredictable looking things, which look jerky, but I'm really only moving the bike around underneath me.

It was to get an oil check on driver. If they genuinely were nuts, and desperately needed to get past you no matter how dangerous it was, they'd keep crawling around on your ass. At that point it can be safer to try to pull over and stop or something. Or launch into a full sprint to get through the choke point. But more usually they'd see funny stuff, think WTF is this tool doing? and back off slightly, and you'd have time to get past the scary bit.

There was a humpback steel bridge in NJ that had literally no hard shoulder, exactly two lanes, and iron sidings. You had drivers trying to squeeze past you, with massive iron bars to one side of you. I'd save up on the run in, and hit that thing at around 90% effort to avoid getting mashed.

I've mentioned it before to be fair. Though only what I can reasonably put in check-in luggage of course.

Forgot which thread this is.

But if there's something you really really want I could hold it and we can work out some way of getting it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back