Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

a motorist turning right there would occupy that space (and more) in a car too anyway. he wouldn't have said boo to a motorist doing it.

he seemed like the sort of angry prick who goes around honking and shouting in general to be fair.
I've done the same thing dozens of times and never even gotten a mild honk from a driver.

I would be on the left of the lane so cars could overtake me making the turn.
Also it's super risky drifting across the front of traffic as you all make the turn, as well as impeding traffic progression

My 2c

That would be my approach also.although I've not been in heavy traffic for quite some time.

Safety first

I would be on the left of the lane so cars could overtake me making the turn.
Also it's super risky drifting across the front of traffic as you all make the turn, as well as impeding traffic progression

My 2c

a dissenting voice!

cars can turn* right or left at the junction - so on either side you are potentially in the way, but I see your point, which is why I was uncertain myself.

not sure I fully get the second part though? short of deliberately placing yourself in front of the turning car (which I didnt and dont do) you'd be hard put to impede traffic, and you're obviously not going to cycle in front of an oncoming car?

*also this particular genius didnt have his indicators on, which is another issue.

disagree completely. if the motorist intends to take the same turn they should not be overtaking you in the process; that would increase the danger to the cyclist - so that's even more reason to stay right and control the junction.

What people are supposed to do and what they do on roads doesn't always match up.

I get the point about cars turning left there too,but I'd still feel safer out front and to the left

if a motorist following behind intends to turn left, you're leaving space for them to get past on your inside. a motorist should *not* overtake a cyclist who has indicated their intention to turn right.
as i said above, if JR had been driving a car, there wouldn't have been a word said.

Its a solid white line on a thin lane, the car has to wait behind you because theres no way they'd have 1m clearance of you and still be in their own exit lane. there should be no cohabiting of the junction and the driver should read the book about the laws of driving. I'd be in the positing someone marked by someone already on the thread because you have to pre-empt the idiot who's gonna put you in danger by taking the lane.

1700762069182.png

a dissenting voice!

cars can turn* right or left at the junction - so on either side you are potentially in the way, but I see your point, which is why I was uncertain myself.

not sure I fully get the second part though? short of deliberately placing yourself in front of the turning car (which I didnt and dont do) you'd be hard put to impede traffic, and you're obviously not going to cycle in front of an oncoming car?

*also this particular genius didnt have his indicators on, which is another issue.

I meant impede the traffic behind you

You are missing my point;
You are preventing traffic from progressing by not being positioned correctly (correct in my experience) when the light turns green
I don’t really follow because when the light turns green, are you not going to move yourself? Or is it a filter light? Because if a car was stopped waiting for full green/correct arrow they would also be in the way?

I don’t really follow because when the light turns green, are you not going to move yourself? Or is it a filter light? Because if a car was stopped waiting for full green/correct arrow they would also be in the way?

Yes you do move with the traffic;
But if you both turn right and you are positioned as the pic indicates as in front Right Hand Side, you have to drift across to the left side of the road in front of the driver when the turn is made, making yourself very vulnerable and also slowing down everyone behind you in the process.
I don't know how to explain it any better than that sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back