ISH Magazine - feedback on your feedback (1 Viewer)

ISHDenise

Having carefully considered comments made on this board, and to dispel any further confusion, I’d like to make the following points:

ISH is a free publication with a primary focus on unsigned and indie-label bands. Editorial staff understood as soon as this magazine was founded that it would be impossible to cater to all tastes and musical preferences, and whilst we do have what would be called a “target audience,” all comments, regardless of their stance or opinion toward the magazine, are noted and feedback is appreciated.

There are, however, several issues raised on this board with which the editorial staff have some difficulty. A number of comments were noted from people who had not yet seen the first issue. We would ask, and not unreasonably so, that people at least read a copy before passing judgement. It is not our wish, nor would it be fair, for people to take the exchanges on this board to be in any way authoritative or balanced regarding the magazine, and we’d hope that you’d make up your own minds.

Relating to comments on design and layout of the magazine, we feel that several of these comments have been made in a sweeping and general manner and aren't completely fair in that regard. (i.e. it has been indicated that photos obscure text throughout the magazine, when in fact there is only one instance in which this can fairly be stated.)

This is Issue No. 1, and it should be a matter of public knowledge that we view the journalistic and graphic development of this magazine as an ongoing process. That said, the editor and staff stand by the first issue wholeheartedly, and whilst we accept imperfections, we are proud of the (mostly) positive reactions we’ve received thus far from various quarters.

ISH is not affiliated with any organisation, nor are we affiliated or any way associated with any bands. In fact, we find it both unfortunate and perplexing that the notion of an unsigned band receiving positive coverage in any publication is automatically looked upon suspiciously by certain individuals and the false assumption made that such a review was written by a friend of the band. Whilst it is true to say that a number of ISH reviewers/writers have developed personal relationships with bands after reviewing or interviewing them, we feel it prudent to mention that all reviews/interviews/content/etc. are subject to editorial scrutiny so as to minimise any chance of favouritism or false reporting.

That said, the attitude that a band must consistently “pay their dues” and go unrecognised on Ireland’s “toilet circuit” until such a time as they have attracted a large following or label interest, we feel is dubious at best. It is the intention of ISH Magazine to feature up and coming acts, without the need for these artists to have to beg for a nugget of press coverage or publicity every once in a while. Furthermore, we feel that if all Irish bands were to pay said “dues” to the extent that certain people/circles within the Irish music scene would have it, it is doubtful that many bands and artists would receive any recognition at all. ISH is hoping to provide a platform through which people can find out about bands and gigs that would not be so readily covered in more mainstream media and publications.

Furthermore, comments made relating to the influences cited by a specific group/band in Issue No. 1 do not necessarily reflect the tastes or opinions of the staff. Regarding this, we feel that too much has been made of a less than relevant point.

The editorial staff of ISH would also like to clarify that we do not view other music magazines with such contempt as has been suggested on this board, nor to we “aspire to be/usurp” any of these mainstream magazines. And for the record, we do not condone nor wish to become caught up in name-calling or other such behaviour.

Relating to matters of funding, this is indeed not a matter that the editor and staff of ISH are willing to discuss in a public forum such as this. In the same way that any other publication/organisation would deem such information confidential – so do we.

Again, I would like to express that all comments and feedback are welcome. You can contact me directly by e-mailing me on [email protected].

Best regards,

Denise Williams
Editor, ISH Magazine

ISHDenise said:
Furthermore, comments made relating to the influences cited by a specific group/band in Issue No. 1 do not necessarily reflect the tastes or opinions of the staff. Regarding this, we feel that too much has been made of a less than relevant point.[/size]

:D :p

billygannon said:
Apparently I'm "enchance".

He must have hacked into me or something.

What does ISH stand for?
Irish Scene and Heard I think. How do I know that? Because I remember reading it somewhere.

And my knowing it does not mean that I'm sleeping with Denise.

In all fairness like...

sorry Roxy!! I looked back & i relaized it was ISHDenise who started this thread. I lost interest towards the end. Brain malfunctioning.

Dual names would be great in real life. In greece, they have a formal & informal name. completely different they are too.

I'm thinking the whole ISH thing is from IRISH. Well, if that really is the case then whoever thought of it should have been thinking alot harder.

roxy said:
I say stick to your guns, Denise, and ignore the naysayers.

Why people must always be so bitter is beyond me. I think mix it up with realism. The two are not interchangeable.

Fiona

Well said.

It's pretty easy to rip anything apart, but credit must be given to the fact that this is a voluntary publication and that it is being handed out for NOTHING to anyone who wants it. I have heard of a lot of the bands in it, I was genuinely interested in it, and I was for the most part very impressed with the first issue. It promotes bands and artists that wouldn't otherwise get a look in. This is surely a positive thing.

Jenko

PS - They are looking for contributors, if you can do better, do it.

PPS - I do not know Denise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back