Is there an 'Everton thread everyone loves them' thread? (7 Viewers)

I'd put it down to the amount of stupid goals we used to concede. He's still better than anyone we have, and a better player than Fellaini, we need someone else to take the creative load off of Santi, he was poor in big games last season because teams knew that if they concentrated on neutralising him there weren't all that many others who could play a killer ball.

Mostly though it's down to the fact that we can buy Cesc for less than anyone else can, due to the 50% sell on clause in the deal Barcelona would make more money out of selling him to us for 25 million than they would from selling him to United for 49. It's all pie in the sky though, like I said I don't think he'll leave, not this summer anyway, if he ended up playing second fiddle to Thiago Alcantara in 2013/14 then maybe next year he might. I'd be delighted to sign Fellaini.

I hear you but not really an absolute to say that Cesc is "better" than Fellani, they're completely different players, Fellani is the type of player that Arsenal haven't had probably since Viera, Cesc is a luxury really whereas Fellani is a nesccesity. I mean on paper Cesc is a better player, better range of passing, great feet good pace, but Fellani is stronger, tougher in the tackle holds midfield together better, never goes missing, does the donkey work and covers the more ground than (I think) everyone except Michael Carrick. He also offers an entirely new aspect to Arsenal if they need it, he is the out ball, he is the "plan B" player that they haven't had for years. For that alone I'd say if you look at the options he brings you've got Arteta, Wilshire, Cazorla or Rosicky with him in behind for games against the top sides and if you have to go and batter a way through Stoke then in comes Ramsay into the holding role and play him in behind Theo Walcott. That alone is an enormous step forward for Arsenal. Cesc is basically more of the same only better, but it doesn't solve the big problems.

Next stop has to be securing a top drawer partner for Koselny. I'd go italian, any one of about 4 from Juve.

Next stop has to be securing a top drawer partner for Koselny. I'd go italian, any one of about 4 from Juve.

Whichever one of them is most like Mertesacker, but better, that's the one. Kos is great at attacking the ball, wins almost every tackle he goes into and is mobile, a partner who can mop up behind him and who reads play well is ideal for him, which is why a combo with Vermaelen doesn't really work, they're similar players, also Vermaelen's form has fallen off a cliff.

I actually like Per a lot though, one of those players that you usually don't really notice when he's playing well but everything seems more secure, but you really notice when he has a bad game or when he's not picked.

Whichever one of them is most like Mertesacker, but better, that's the one. Kos is great at attacking the ball, wins almost every tackle he goes into and is mobile, a partner who can mop up behind him and who reads play well is ideal for him, which is why a combo with Vermaelen doesn't really work, they're similar players, also Vermaelen's form has fallen off a cliff.

I actually like Per a lot though, one of those players that you usually don't really notice when he's playing well but everything seems more secure, but you really notice when he has a bad game or when he's not picked.
I like him too, he reads the game well but his lack of pace is a killer. Cheilini would be perfect or Balzeregli.

McGeady is right out of Darron's mold, also shoots at all the wrong moments instead of passing
Can't cross. That's the main thing. In the past I would have said Moyes will get something out of him, but with Martinez in there I can't say McGeady would fill me with hope. On the other hand, the way Martinez plays crossing may not be such a huge issue.

You hope.

Yeah obviously.

Talk of Alcaraz arriving doesn't fill me with hope. Martinez has to be smart enough to realise that if it's not broken don't fix it. There's a lot of very commanding old heads in the Everton back 4 so his first task has to be to listen to them, and get a few new players introduced to the way of doing things that's been working for the past few seasons.

Kone arrived today. Big strong lad, good feet gets goals. I'm wondering if he can play with Anichebe, if he can we could out muscle a lot of defences.

Still badly need a left back to either replace Baines (if he leaves) or cover for him, A centre half and as many good midfielders as we can nick from Wigan.

Next season I see us in mid table but hopefully we can go on a cup run sneak into the Europa league that way.

Speaking of which, Wigan are going to be in Europe this season. Weirddddddddddddddd.

Speaking of which, Wigan are going to be in Europe this season. Weirddddddddddddddd.

It's not just weird it's irritaing, we really need a play off system between the cup winners and the highest finishers in the league. Wigan is one thing but Swansea barely played anyone to win the league cup, even if they'd been drawn against one of the top 6 they'd have played their B team anyway and they're in Europe now it's maddening.

It's not just weird it's irritaing, we really need a play off system between the cup winners and the highest finishers in the league. Wigan is one thing but Swansea barely played anyone to win the league cup, even if they'd been drawn against one of the top 6 they'd have played their B team anyway and they're in Europe now it's maddening.

Hold on, Swansea beat Liverpool at Anfield (yeah, i know) and Chelsea over two games. Imagine they'd lost to Bradford tho, now league z's Bradford would be in Yurp. It's like when you start a career in Fifa and want to take some no hopers to the top.

Swansea might even take this europe thing seriously. Wigan wont.

Hold on, Swansea beat Liverpool at Anfield (yeah, i know) and Chelsea over two games. Imagine they'd lost to Bradford tho, now league z's Bradford would be in Yurp. It's like when you start a career in Fifa and want to take some no hopers to the top.

Swansea might even take this europe thing seriously. Wigan wont.
Wigan can't. Swansea don't have the squad for it. The Europa League is ridiculous you have to play something like 25 matches to win it. Every mid table english club who have done okay in it has suffered domestically except for us when we go to the quarter finals and finished 5th. But to be fair we got an easy group. It's great to get there and it is exciting enough once you get through the group because the Portuguese, Italians, and Spanish actually want to win the thing, but it's a poisoned chalice because of the format and the fact that English sides who qualify don't/can't take it very seriously, and are therefore poorly seeded in the draws.

I mean they deserve that but honestly like you said Wigan and Bradford could have been up against the likes of Real Betis, Sevilla, Valencia, Fiorentina, Udinese and Lazio. It's a great underdog story but at the same time it's a slap in the face to teams who could compete at that level.

That said I will be watching Swansea.

Wigan can't. Swansea don't have the squad for it. The Europa League is ridiculous you have to play something like 25 matches to win it. Every mid table english club who have done okay in it has suffered domestically except for us when we go to the quarter finals and finished 5th. But to be fair we got an easy group. It's great to get there and it is exciting enough once you get through the group because the Portuguese, Italians, and Spanish actually want to win the thing, but it's a poisoned chalice because of the format and the fact that English sides who qualify don't/can't take it very seriously, and are therefore poorly seeded in the draws.

I mean they deserve that but honestly like you said Wigan and Bradford could have been up against the likes of Real Betis, Sevilla, Valencia, Fiorentina, Udinese and Lazio. It's a great underdog story but at the same time it's a slap in the face to teams who could compete at that level.

That said I will be watching Swansea.

Other than Liverpool and Chelsea, who won it and arse, who came close, the only teams to have ever taken it seriously are Midlesbra and Fulham and neither of those teams were relegated that season. Did their rep a favour actually. I've seen English teams play their B-teams and still have a shit domestic season. It good for your better players to play against better teams, right? Why do Newcastle, for example, go for a european place when they don't want it? Remember when Bolton were in it? Jaaaaaaaaayses.

Champions league place for the winner of the Europe league. That'd spice that sausage right up.

Birmingham did okay in the Europa League while playing in the Championship the season before last, unlucky not to make it out of the group stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back