Is it ok to be mean if you're being funny? (3 Viewers)

Is it ok to be mean in order to be funny?

• Yes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Only if the person you're being mean to laughs

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Only if the person you're being mean to laughs OR can't hear you

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
What I meant was, in sweetoblivion's thread I understood that jane and sweetoblivion herself were saying that there is an anti-woman vibe sometimes on thumped, and the evidence for this is the existence of threads like "why do women take so long to do anything?" The case for the defence was "but those threads are jokes"
I generally think being mean = being funny, but i wouln't slag people for jokes that i didn't know, or slag a person i know amongst people i didn't, because if they don't get that you're joking (or don't find the jokes funny for whatever reason), they just think you're being mean, which is what happened with the threads. That or some people aren't as funny as they think they are.

I generally think being mean = being funny, but i wouln't slag people for jokes that i didn't know, or slag a person i know amongst people i didn't, because if they don't get that you're joking (or don't find the jokes funny for whatever reason), they just think you're being mean, which is what happened with the threads. That or some people aren't as funny as they think they are.

Perhaps a disclaimer?

"I know this person and we were discussing this particular personal problem in the pub last night and joking about it"

"This is a running joke"

"He has no left testicle"

"She really has no sense of humour, it's a medical condition"

etc...

Dammit I'm abbreviating too much ...

What I meant was, in sweetoblivion's thread I understood that jane and sweetoblivion herself were saying that there is an anti-woman vibe sometimes on thumped, and the evidence for this is the existence of threads like "why do women take so long to do anything?" The case for the defence was "but those threads are jokes"

Hence the question, which is expressed in egg_ language, but I hope it's clear enough

If a collection of musicians, indie kids and anarcho-veggie types is anti-woman what hope for the rest of the world.

what happens if you replace mean with racist/sexist/Janer/gary glitter?

living and spending times in different countries makes you realise that slagging each other is an irish pastime.

It's not a uniquely Irish thing. A guy I know over here seems to be under the impression that following up really REALLY nasty statements with a loud guffaw = gas.

e.g. "You're fat and look like a boy. AHAHAHAHAHA! Love you sweetie!"

Interestingly, he doesn't tend to do it to people who would tell him to shut up and fuck off.

It's not a uniquely Irish thing. A guy I know over here seems to be under the impression that following up really REALLY nasty statements with a loud guffaw = gas.

Interestingly, he doesn't tend to do it to people who would tell him to shut up and fuck off.

want us to go up and sort him out?

Dunno he sounds like a prick; number one rule is never ever under any circumstances tell a girl she is in any way fat.

You can't insult people and then throw in a get out clause. You just insult them in the knowledge that they'll know your messing or don't at all.

My irish housemate gets an awful lot of abuse from me, way more than my brit housemates. Although it's mostly about him being posh although he's not at all, he just happens to have went to Belvedere(insert any fee paying school here) and has a double barrelled surname.

Edit: I'll come along with Broken Arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back