iron & wine (1 Viewer)

eoinbox

anyone goin to this tonight in whelans? or anyone seen him live before? dont really know what to expect....

eoinbox said:
anyone goin to this tonight in whelans? or anyone seen him live before? dont really know what to expect....
Expect a geezer with a massive fucking beard. Really lucking forward to this one myself.

Sufjan last week, Sam tonight, if someone wants to ressurect Elliot Smith and get him to play Dublin next week I'd be in US singer songwriter heaven.

Haven't seen them before but am really looking forward to this gig. I'm bringing a cattle prod with me to punish the inevitable chit chatters at the bar!

Really enjoyed the gig, it got of to a good start with "Sodam, south Georgia" which is my favourite song off of the second record, shame about the lack of "Upward over the mountain" though.

Very surprised that there were so many people there, I went expecting that the tables would be ot downstairs.

Thoughts on the Texan guy that opened the gig? Was a bit iffy about some of his songs but decided to take a chance on the album.

Unicron said:
Thoughts on the Texan guy that opened the gig? Was a bit iffy about some of his songs but decided to take a chance on the album.
he bored the shit outta me in cork.

Unicron said:
Really enjoyed the gig, it got of to a good start with "Sodam, south Georgia" which is my favourite song off of the second record, shame about the lack of "Upward over the mountain" though.

Very surprised that there were so many people there, I went expecting that the tables would be ot downstairs.

didnt see the opener, what kinda stuff was it? i was well impressed with iron&wine, though i was waiting for upward over the mountain, and that other one - promising light?
place was jammed, which was cool, but once again, as per the joanna newsom gig in the sugar club, 3 drunk cunts seemed determined to wreck the buzz chatting at the top of their voices. to these gents and their ilk, i propose:

Gun%20to%20the%20head%20180.jpg

Bird Stealing Bread... one of the high points of my gig going year so far...

like sun kill moon's village gig i found this was great at the start and then became a little difficult to concentrate on as it wore on due to the acoustic nature of it all. havn't heard the albums buh have a feeling the songs will sound great on record.

a guy in the toilet told me he thought it was one of the shittest things he'd ever been to (something about 'this kind of thing is exactly what's wrong with the fuckin dublin music scene')

and he had been to the toilet.

d.o.b said:
a guy in the toilet told me he thought it was one of the shittest things he'd ever been to (something about 'this kind of thing is exactly what's wrong with the fuckin dublin music scene')

and he had been to the toilet.
South-Carolinian folk music is whats wrong with the Dublin music scene?

I had a real problem with the pillocks singing off-key harmonies along with all the songs they recognised. They were in fornt of the sound desk, towards the left wall. You'd almost prefer inane chat, as at least it doesn't attempt to 'add' to the music. What promoter worth its salt puts a quiet, s/s in to Whelans on a Friday night anyway? Should have gone to Belfast.

J.

Justin Toner said:
What promoter worth its salt puts a quiet, s/s in to Whelans on a Friday night anyway?

J.
The real thing to be asking is what twats get pissed as farts, go to see a quiet s/s, and decide to chat the whole way through a gig???????? A prime example are the two fuckwits at Goodtime John's gig last week.

Drunken Twat: Spring Break!!!!!!! (repeat every 2 minutes)

Chutneyfarmer: Shut up you twat, yr about as funny as Schindler's List

Justin Toner said:
I had a real problem with the pillocks singing off-key harmonies along with all the songs they recognised. They were in fornt of the sound desk, towards the left wall. You'd almost prefer inane chat, as at least it doesn't attempt to 'add' to the music. What promoter worth its salt puts a quiet, s/s in to Whelans on a Friday night anyway? Should have gone to Belfast.

J.
thats exactly where i was! REALLY fuckin annoying. see, the big argument for putting it on a friday is that kinda crowd - you wouldnt have gotten it on a tuesday, plus he's in the middle of a tour, so jimmying days isnt possible. also its not as if it was gonna suit him better anywhere else in dublin.
eoin

eoinbox said:
thats exactly where i was! REALLY fuckin annoying. see, the big argument for putting it on a friday is that kinda crowd - you wouldnt have gotten it on a tuesday, plus he's in the middle of a tour, so jimmying days isnt possible. also its not as if it was gonna suit him better anywhere else in dublin.
eoin

Might I humbly suggest the Douglas Hyde Gallery? It would have been sweet there. Or anywhere without a bar - Bank of Ireland Arts Centre comes to mind.

J.

Justin Toner said:
Might I humbly suggest the Douglas Hyde Gallery? It would have been sweet there. Or anywhere without a bar - Bank of Ireland Arts Centre comes to mind.

J.
sceal maith más fíor. whats the capacity in those places though? and are they easily booked etc? just wondering loike
eoin

eoinbox said:
sceal maith más fíor. whats the capacity in those places though? and are they easily booked etc? just wondering loike
eoin

DHG was limited to 100 for the Sufjan gig, I think, but surely Sam Beam was on a guarantee and MCD pocketed the rest. I'm pretty sure you would have got 100 people willing to pay 18 quid or even 20. As for rental, I don't know. DHG promoted SS themselves.

BoI costs 375 to rent and includes a piano (!), though they only deal with registered companies, i.e. you need a VAT number, etc. The capacity there is 200. It's usually used for jazz and classical concerts, though I'm sure folkier acts would be acceptable.

Who needs a bar anyway? Go for a swift one beforehand and then disect the gig over several more afterwards. If you want.

There has to be a better way. Pubs only care about selling booze, promoters only care about box office. It's the audience who care about the music. Check out the rental on your local town hall, community centre, etc. And as a bonus, no booze means all ages!

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back