Irish Broadband (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter hugh
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0
hugh said:
www.irishbroadband.ie

Wireless broadband. They install some sort of receiver in our house.

Anyone use 'em? Any good?

i do, im on the breeze lite 2mb 20:1 deal. its ok at the moment, it clips along nicely and theres no download limit i believe. however i have in the past had shit from them. the quality of service was absolutly shite for at least six weeks but longer i think (4 or 5 kbps was the average, now its generally in or around 1.3 or 1.4Mbps down and often over 2Mbps up for some reason). i was very busy with other stuff at the time so didnt pay too much attention but when i got onto their customer support about it they were useless and i spent a fortune on phonecalls (they never rang back once except when i was trying to order BB from them!baggyyyy).

another thing to bear in mind is that apparently theyre shite for gaming and dont make any guarantee about latency and something called "pings" which IBB are crap with and which get IBB customers booted off games sites all the time. i never play games so i dont know. im not sure whether these pings might be the same reason that listening to streaming radio is shite too and makes it cut out so much as to make it not worth bothering with at all. also you cant use VoIP with IBB either i think.

have a look at the BB boards site - they hate irish broadband there.

Miss Piggy said:
i do, im on the breeze lite 2mb 20:1 deal. its ok at the moment, it clips along nicely and theres no download limit i believe. however i have in the past had shit from them. the quality of service was absolutly shite for at least six weeks but longer i think (4 or 5 kbps was the average, now its generally in or around 1.3 or 1.4Mbps down and often over 2Mbps up for some reason). i was very busy with other stuff at the time so didnt pay too much attention but when i got onto their customer support about it they were useless and i spent a fortune on phonecalls (they never rang back once except when i was trying to order BB from them!baggyyyy).

another thing to bear in mind is that apparently theyre shite for gaming and dont make any guarantee about latency and something called "pings" which IBB are crap with and which get IBB customers booted off games sites all the time. i never play games so i dont know. im not sure whether these pings might be the same reason that listening to streaming radio is shite too and makes it cut out so much as to make it not worth bothering with at all. also you cant use VoIP with IBB either i think.

have a look at the BB boards site - they hate irish broadband there.

see now. you can be spotted as a boards person cos of all them comments about gaming / pings. there's a handful of people posting on boards who had bad experiemces with IBB but they post so much you'd thing there was loads of them

i have been on IBB for over 18 months and they're grand (apart from the few weeks there recently where their whole network went to shit). i do the gaming every now and then and the pings and the latency is fine

pete said:
see now. you can be spotted as a boards person cos of all them comments about gaming / pings. there's a handful of people posting on boards who had bad experiemces with IBB but they post so much you'd thing there was loads of them

i have been on IBB for over 18 months and they're grand (apart from the few weeks there recently where their whole network went to shit). i do the gaming every now and then and the pings and the latency is fine

but im not a boards person. i went there when my broadband was shit (for weeks and months on end) and saw that other people were also getting shit service. i know some people have it fine but for me it really was shit for ages, absolute shit, but its grand now.

and i take your point.

can you listen to real audio streaming stuff on yr IBB? i can most of the time so long as i dont try surfing websites at the same time.

Miss Piggy said:
but im not a boards person. i went there when my broadband was shit (for weeks and months on end) and saw that other people were also getting shit service. i know some people have it fine but for me it really was shit for ages, absolute shit, but its grand now.

and i take your point.

can you listen to real audio streaming stuff on yr IBB? i can most of the time so long as i dont try surfing websites at the same time.
i can do it all, boss

i have their ripwave thing, and its completely fucking shit. its been an absolute nightmare. when it decides to fucking work, its no better than the old dial up i used to have, and actually worse in many cases. i would say, avoid wireless ibb (at least the ripwave thing) like the fucking plague. their "customer support" is non existant also.

did a speed check there now

Downstream 1896 Kbps (237.0 KB/sec) 2047 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 2679 Kbps (334.9 KB/sec) 2893 Kbps (inc. overheads)

The Irish broadband ripwave package is really bad. If you are going to be playing games online then this is 100% not for you.

We started using them at work and they are a disaster. Constantly not working, after they installed the three pilots they then billed us for the forthcoming year in its entirety. No customer service whatsoever. The boss then cut a deal with esat cos they were that bad.

it really comes down to the mast you're on. some people have pretty bad horror stories to tell about them.... i think they're deadly though.

Yo thanks for all the tips. Think I'll stay away from them ...

Problem is - we currently have utvinternet clicksilver. It works fine if we connect with an ADSL modem but if we use the wireless router/firewall (which we really want to use) it craps out after 5 in the afternoon. I just bought a new Mac and ADSL modem does not work with Mac at all. Router/firewall exhibits same behaviour as with PC.

So ... it sounds like a problem at the exchange/server but .... if that's the case why would one connecting device (ADSL modem) not crap out after 5 while the other one does (router/firewall)?

Maybe its a problem with the router/firewall .... but how could it possibly have a fault that makes it crap out at the same time every day?

Have contacted UTVINternet ... they think its an Eircom problem with the line ...... eircom are supposed to be checking it out ... nothing is happening .... I am going nuts ... and hence thinking about shag-them-all-lets-not-use-the-telephone-line-at-all alternatives.

hugh said:
Yo thanks for all the tips. Think I'll stay away from them ...

Problem is - we currently have utvinternet clicksilver. It works fine if we connect with an ADSL modem but if we use the wireless router/firewall (which we really want to use) it craps out after 5 in the afternoon. I just bought a new Mac and ADSL modem does not work with Mac at all. Router/firewall exhibits same behaviour as with PC.

So ... it sounds like a problem at the exchange/server but .... if that's the case why would one connecting device (ADSL modem) not crap out after 5 while the other one does (router/firewall)?

Maybe its a problem with the router/firewall .... but how could it possibly have a fault that makes it crap out at the same time every day?

Have contacted UTVINternet ... they think its an Eircom problem with the line ...... eircom are supposed to be checking it out ... nothing is happening .... I am going nuts ... and hence thinking about shag-them-all-lets-not-use-the-telephone-line-at-all alternatives.

I suspect that something in the premises turns on at 5 o'clock causing an interference with the wireless connection. I was once fixing a connection in a bakery but couldn't figure out why the connection was having a stroke at a certain time each day when all of the tests on the line came back fine. So at the end of the elimination process it turned out to be an oven timer turning on at this particular time and thats the problem solved.

Politakill said:
I suspect that something in the premises turns on at 5 o'clock causing an interference with the wireless connection. I was once fixing a connection in a bakery but couldn't figure out why the connection was having a stroke at a certain time each day when all of the tests on the line came back fine. So at the end of the elimination process it turned out to be an oven timer turning on at this particular time and thats the problem solved.

"Premises" meaning my house? Hmmmmm ...... dunno about that. We're not actually using the wireless thing as a wireless thing if you know what I mean. I.e. we are plugging the machine directly into the back of the wireless router with a cable and its plugged directly into the telephone socket. So if there is something screwing up the line then it would be screwing it up for telephone calls and everything .... which is not the case.

hugh said:
"Premises" meaning my house? Hmmmmm ...... dunno about that. We're not actually using the wireless thing as a wireless thing if you know what I mean. I.e. we are plugging the machine directly into the back of the wireless router with a cable and its plugged directly into the telephone socket. So if there is something screwing up the line then it would be screwing it up for telephone calls and everything .... which is not the case.
that's pretty bizarre

do you have eircom phonewatch by any chance?

pete said:
that's pretty bizarre

do you have eircom phonewatch by any chance?

No. Does that screw stuff up sometimes?

Just upgraded the firmware on the router and everything seems to be working fine ..... but really have to wait until after 5 today to see if it has fixed it.

hugh said:

Just upgraded the firmware on the router and everything seems to be working fine ..... but really have to wait until after 5 today to see if it has fixed it.
ah i was just thinking that maybe if it were kicking in at 5 it was screwing up the dsl end of things, but only to an the extent that the (more sensitive?) router would be affected but not the dsl modem.

i have no idea what i'm talking about, by the way.

hugh said:

Eircom phone watch can cause signal problems and requires an engineer to install it but this isnt the case with your problem I don't think!

Firmware upgrade didn't work ... but ...

We just tried plugging router into downstairs telehone socket instead and it seems to work perfect from there ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back