Ireland vs. France (2 Viewers)

Anelka was the best player on the pitch, deffo. He played in a way that kind of suited us though, in that I thought he might really trouble Kilbane with his pace but he usually cut inside and acted as a playmaker. Still, he was excellent.

I don't know who said that their midfield is as uncomfortable on the ball as ours but it's patently untrue. Otherwise France wouldn't have monopolised the ball in the second half.

THe substitutions backfired spectacularly, all three of them. Oh well. I thought that taking Duff off was insane, he was our only creative threat challenged St. Ledger for my Ireland MOTM, with Lawrence not far behind. Doyle getting the award was, in my opinion, a loaded choice and an attack on Trap by media elements who were waiting to get the knives out at the first sign of failure.

To whoever thought that France was the best draw we could get: do you now see that you're mental?

Anyway, disappointed beyond belief and freighted with the terrible knowledge that come Wednesday I'm going to summon irrational hope only for it to be crushed without mercy.
That's a great fucking post. .|..|

France was never the best draw we could get, but definitely better than playing Russia in -100 degrees on an artificial pitch in Moscow. They would fucking hammer us in those conditions. Greece would definitely have been the best draw, as they proved by their shitness against the Ukraine.
The most frustrating thing about this France situation is that now we need to go to Paris and score a goal, but Trappitoni will refuse to play our two best attacking midfielders, as he has been refusing to do for the last 5 games. Even if one of the Super Reid Brothers was to play alongside Whelan in midfield, I'd give us a shot. But with Whelan and Andrews there, we're fucked. All we can do is hope that the French self-destruct, as they have showed signs of doing.

Trappitoni will refuse to play our two best attacking midfielders, as he has been refusing to do for the last 5 games. Even if one of the Super Reid Brothers was to play alongside Whelan in midfield, I'd give us a shot. But with Whelan and Andrews there, we're fucked. All we can do is hope that the French self-destruct, as they have showed signs of doing.

Steven Reid isn't even fit enough to play and has said as much himself while Andy Reid has only started playing well this season, unfortunately Trap only thinks of him as the fat lazy fuck he was for the previous 2 years before that. We could have done with him in the last half hour last nite alright though.

I think we were very unlucky to lose that last night and that 0-0 would have been a brilliant result.

Scummy shit goal to concede and an unbelievably good save by Lloris at the end to deny Whelan, not to mention Evra's unbelievable block for Lawrence's shot.

Even more uphill now than before but we can take heart in the fact we did fashion very good chances, albeit very infrequently. Football is a funny old game and scoring one in Paris is certainly not beyond us by any means. Keeping them out will be much more difficult, though it should be underlined that at no stage did they actually open us up last night.

Anelka is in great form at the moment which is a real pisser. When he's in the mood he's still miles better than Benzema or Gignac.

I don't know who said that their midfield is as uncomfortable on the ball as ours but it's patently untrue. Otherwise France wouldn't have monopolised the ball in the second half.

Before Anelka started to turn it on in the second half they created nothing. The two in the middle passed backwards and across the middle exactly as we have lambasted Whelan and Andrews for thats all I'm saying on the subject.

Subs last night were incredibly frustrating. Best was obviously rubbish but I was especially disappointed in Hunt and McGeady, they kept moving inside when we were in possession and gave no width whatsoever which sort of negated the point of bring a big, tall, strong, useless motherfucker on for Doyle.

That's mainly because Hunt and McGeady are fucking useless. Always have been. They were embarrassing compared to Lawrence/Duff. I was surprised at how well both of them stuck to the task of keeping Evra and Sagna quiet too. Going forward they were our best threat.

Dunne's going to go up front for the last ten minutes in the return and he'll destroy Gallas and Abidal in the air we're going to knick one lads I can feel it.

Subs last night were incredibly frustrating. Best was obviously rubbish but I was especially disappointed in Hunt and McGeady, they kept moving inside when we were in possession and gave no width whatsoever which sort of negated the point of bring a big, tall, strong, useless motherfucker on for Doyle.

Agreed about Best. He doesn't appear to be that great in the air and has a dreadful first touch. Never thought we'd miss the much maligned Caleb Folan (aka the new plank) but I think he could have wreaked havoc against Gallas and Abidal in the closing stages just like he did in Bari when he set up Keane's goal and that late chance.

It seemed strange that McGeady and Hunt were playing on the left and right respectively, i.e. on their wrong feet, as you said it meant they kept having to check inside.

Thought the much hyped Gourcouff was fairly ordinary. I loved it when he totally cocked up an attempted back heel in the first half.

Thought the much hyped Gourcouff was fairly ordinary. I loved it when he totally cocked up an attempted back heel in the first half.

Yeah thats the lads name Did he put his shot out for a throw in when he had an open goal? I suppose the two Diarras in the middle work as a unit so long as he does all the passing. He was poor and I didn't think much of them in midfield (until Anelka went looking for the ball)

apparently Lissandro Diarra said something offensive about the Irish to Whelan and that started the fracas at the end. A bit of needle in the second leg could be good for us too.

Brilliant atmosphere at this game. gutted by the result but proud of the effort put in by the players.

Best was poor but it was a big ask and I think he has played well when previously given the chance. Kilbane almost cost us again but i thought he was good overall. Central Midfield was tight and got in lots of good tackles obviously at the expense of any attacking intent.

Keane and Doyle played well but had very little opportunities.

still holding out just a small bit of hope for wednesday.

Brilliant atmosphere at this game. gutted by the result but proud of the effort put in by the players.

Best was poor but it was a big ask and I think he has played well when previously given the chance. Kilbane almost cost us again but i thought he was good overall. Central Midfield was tight and got in lots of good tackles obviously at the expense of any attacking intent.

Keane and Doyle played well but had very little opportunities.

still holding out just a small bit of hope for wednesday.

Yeah it felt like Landsdowne again.

We'd probably have to sacrifice a striker to accomidate an attacking midfielder in which case is Keane or Doyle a better goal poacher?

Our subs were all quite disappointing alright, including Best losing posession with a poor pass leading up to their goal. I think he'll turn out to be a useful player in time but he's just not ready for this level yet in fairness, it's a big ask for him to jump up from playing the likes of Scunthorpe and Reading to some of the best players in the world in his 3rd or 4th appearance for us. Could be argued that Clinton Morisson should have been there instead, at least he has the experience of playing at this level before.

I watched a recording of the RTE coverage today and I really think Ireland had the right game plan to take on a technically superior team. The first half was very even with us getting the better chances and it was only a combination of exhaustion and maybe some fear coming into our play (booting it away at the first chance instead of trying to pick out a pass and retain the ball) that allowed France to get more time on the ball and establish their passing rhythm around the 55min mark, resulting in 15 minutes of domination that led up to the goal.

They chased us down better in the second half and didn't leave much chance to retain the ball I thought. At one stage there was a man either side of Andrews while he tried to hang on to the ball. Once he pulled it away from one, the other nabbed it. They hadn't seemed to bother so much with closing down in the first half.

Could be argued that Clinton Morisson should have been there instead, at least he has the experience of playing at this level before.

I watched a recording of the RTE coverage today and I really think Ireland had the right game plan to take on a technically superior team. The first half was very even with us getting the better chances and it was only a combination of exhaustion and maybe some fear coming into our play (booting it away at the first chance instead of trying to pick out a pass and retain the ball) that allowed France to get more time on the ball and establish their passing rhythm around the 55min mark, resulting in 15 minutes of domination that led up to the goal.

Agreed, We'll play the same way in Paris but now we have nothing to fear which is a good thing. After the goal we did enough to get one back even with the twin shits on. I'm more hopeful now than before the match that we'll get through. We are usually pretty great at being underdogs, and they aren't great with the favorites tag, the two playoffs where we lost we were the favourites going into the matchs. Okay we were favorites against Iran too but they weren't up to much so twasn't much of a suprise. That Gignac miss was hillarious.

Could be argued that Clinton Morisson should have been there instead, at least he has the experience of playing at this level before.

SHOULD be argued. Trap is a cunt sometimes. I mean ffs Clint has delivered in big games before and is in form. If it's just throwing him on for 20 minutes then get him in the squad to fuck. Best isn't good enough yet, it's as clear as day. Depressing shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back