Ireland vs. France (1 Viewer)

I heard 'Put em under pressure' by Horslips on the radio yesterday and got goose bumps.

'Mon Ireland

I expect us musical Thumped indie-nerds to be putting harmonies and "oohs" on the various songs which will be belted out.

We are the Boys in Green
The best you've ever seen
We've just made history
We're off to Germany

would sound deadly with 3-part harmonies, a plucky bass and some tom-y Hal Blaine drums.

Can collect my ticket from 4pm so that to me sounds like a nice time to go to the pub at. CAN'T BLOODY WAIT.
Tried it at Georgia game but got punched in the back of the neck. too soon I think...maybe next World Cup campaign.

COOOOMMMEEEE OOOONNNNNN IIIRRRRREEELLLLAAANNNNDDDDDD

packie.jpg

7c2ebc3e-cfe5-4102-9189-f28a746cb650.jpg

Irwin.jpg

stauntonb.jpg

That was depressing...but obvious. How are you going to win a game without passing the ball? I can't remember an occasion where we strung more than 4 or 5 passes together. If you watch the other games tonight and look at the other lower seeded teams like Bosnia and Slovenia, they are all comfortable on the ball.

Unless we change tactics on Wednesday we'll go out on a whimper.

An even first half I thought but france ruled second half, they didn't get many clear chances tho because they lacked the final ball so we can count ourselves lucky in that respect. I just can't see us getting through, we haven't got enough football in us as has been pointed out god knows how many times. I thought it was a mistake taking off Doyle, the only contributions Best made were the few free he gave away and that ball he played to Keane about 5 mins too late. Andrews was out on his feet and should have made way, but I suppose who would you put on? I'm praying for a first half goal for us on wed and then take them all the way to pens but the likelyhood is a 2 or 3 - 1 defeat.

I think that's the end of that unfortunately. France weren't amazing but there was a clear gulf in class that showed as our lads tired and they cranked things up a notch in the 2nd half. To go down to the most cruelly perfect deflection is a sickener, it was a weak shot and looked like it was going wide, even though France probably deserved it based on their second half dominance. Proud of the effort that was put in by the likes of Lawrence (easily our standout player), Whelan, Andrews, Doyle, Dunne etc. but industry alone isn't going to be enough and we didn't get the lucky break that we would've needed to get a result. At least we were let off the hook with Killer's dreadful backpass and the resulting missed open goal. Huge ask to go over to Paris and score twice but if we somehow go 1-0 up over there I suppose anything could still happen, not going to pretend I have much optimism though. What was the deal with the fracas at the end? Was hard to make out what was going on there from where we were sitting.

Yup t'wasn't great I actually think we played okay. is no one with me there?

There midfield is as uncomfortable on the ball as ours, the real difference was that Anelka got a free role in the second half and constantly found space and delivered decent passes we just don't have anything like that in our squad. Still think we can get one in France. If they play how they did tonight in the second leg the crowd might just turn on them (as they tend to) and that may be a slight advantage. Also they were incredably bad at the back, Doyle won every ball in the air (If we just had a Niall Quinn now) I think Trap thought Bests "physical presence" would make a difference instead his inability to find a team mate did. Lawrence and Dunne were the stand outs, Duff had a moment or two. Still it is different from near the back of croker to watching it on telly.

I knew Henry was a windy bastard but jesus he really was weak, his blatant hatered of tackling was embarrassing in the first half.

Do it the hard way 1-0 away and get there on penos?

Anelka was the best player on the pitch, deffo. He played in a way that kind of suited us though, in that I thought he might really trouble Kilbane with his pace but he usually cut inside and acted as a playmaker. Still, he was excellent.

I don't know who said that their midfield is as uncomfortable on the ball as ours but it's patently untrue. Otherwise France wouldn't have monopolised the ball in the second half.

THe substitutions backfired spectacularly, all three of them. Oh well. I thought that taking Duff off was insane, he was our only creative threat challenged St. Ledger for my Ireland MOTM, with Lawrence not far behind. Doyle getting the award was, in my opinion, a loaded choice and an attack on Trap by media elements who were waiting to get the knives out at the first sign of failure.

To whoever thought that France was the best draw we could get: do you now see that you're mental?

Anyway, disappointed beyond belief and freighted with the terrible knowledge that come Wednesday I'm going to summon irrational hope only for it to be crushed without mercy.

We had our chances but just couldn't take any of them. Painful second half. We were lucky to get away with the Kilbane backpass alright. He's had enough dodgy moments in these qualifiers. Good lad and all, but let's hope this is his last campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back