iPhone (1 Viewer)

i-fone.jpg

Given that the saps that queued up over night for the iPhone 2 are more'n likely the same saps the queued up for the iPhone 1 a year ago, does this mean that there' a new market for second hand first generation phones for a pittance out there? I've been playing with one of them touch's and they're pretty sweet, I'd be tempted to join the club if I could get asecond hand ist generation that I could jailbreak and unlock to Meteor.

Jesus. Just updated ipod touch to 2.0 and now the wifi is broken. Doesn't detect anything. Tried restoring it and no joy. I've just paid 7.99 to break the thing.

Ah well. I tend to cut a few corners when it comes to paying for digital entertainment so its probably fair i get stung every once in a while.

Jailbreak and unlock for 3g iphones and 2.0 software is due out in the next few days.

Bit of a non-story for the fecking front page of The Irish Times.

Someone in Alabama can't get online?
I mean, what the fuck like.

Irate iPhone user sues over dropped calls and slow speeds

JOHN COLLINS
Fri, Aug 22, 2008
THE iPhone is at the centre of a legal action in the United States based around claims that, contrary to assertions by its maker Apple, it does not function properly as a phone and does not download web pages and other data at twice the rate of its predecessor.
The plaintiff is seeking to have her case dealt with as a so-called class action which would mean that other consumers could join her.
The iPhone, which combines a mobile phone, internet access device and a digital music player, has been one of the most talked about consumer electronics devices since its introduction in the US in June 2007. More than one million of the updated 3G (third generation) iPhones were sold in the three days after it launched on July 11th in 21 countries, including Ireland.
Apple advertised the iPhone 3G as being "Twice as fast. Half the price". But since its introduction, online forums have featured numerous complaints from customers claiming the new model dropped telephone calls, suffered from a weak phone signal and did not run as fast over 3G mobile phone networks as they had been led to believe.
Over 5,000 topics related to 3G hardware have been posted to Apple's own online support forum.
Apple sent an update to the iPhone software this week which would have been delivered to phones automatically but the company did not give any details of the problems it was seeking to fix.
The US legal complaint, filed in Alabama by plaintiff Jessica Smith, maintains that the new iPhone connects to a 3G network "less than 25 per cent of the time". She says she "noticed that her internet connection, receipt and sending of e-mail, text messages and other data transfers through the device were slower than expected and advertised", and she experienced "an inordinate amount of dropped calls".
In Ireland, the iPhone is available only from O2 - through its own stores and those of Carphone Warehouse. An O2 spokesman declined to comment on the legal action but said "feedback on the functionality of the new iPhone from O2 customers who have purchased it has been mostly positive so far".
O2 operates a "call guarantee policy" for dropped calls, which comes into play if a customer "is disconnected from a call as a result of a break in coverage".
Provided they ring the same number within five minutes of being disconnected they will receive a credit to their account equal to the cost of the first minute of the second call.
Earlier this week, online news sources reported the problems connecting to 3G networks would be fixed by a software upgrade that would be released next month.
© 2008 The Irish Times

so my mate bought one the other day. he had an unlocked 1st gen iphone before so ive played with both.
my god the 3G can do some amazing things.
it has a speedometer, which we tested and it works.
its GPS function is crazy. when you open google maps it automatically finds where you are. and it updates in real time. also, using GPS, you can walk a short distance, say 5 metres and itll tell you how far you walked.

Hardly news if you don't even have a password enabled.

I should probably do that. Or should I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back