Internet Doctoring (1 Viewer)

i tried but got shouted down at the party.
dood you're looking pretty ripped these days if you dont mind me saying.
you hit the gyms over the summer?

uh huh

25090738_ccad56a55e_o.jpg

::clef::i'm a batman, you know what i mean?
and i do my little turn on the batwalk::clef::

it really does sound like stress, i had all those symptoms and also an occasional feeling of impending doom (when for no good reason you're convinced something awful is gonna happen), going for a walk helps, screaming at randomers works too.

I finally managed to get a night of sleep, so it's not so bad now, but it was still fucking pounding as of yesterday afternoon. Usually I have to sit in a quiet room for the better part of a day because there's just no other way for me to calm down. I get really panicky if I try to do anything or go anywhere, and I find I get lost in the middle of sentences if I try to have a conversation. It sucks balls.

Fucking googling symptoms, though -- never a good idea. I was googling shit before I got my wisdom teeth out, and then what was worse was signing the waiver before I went in for it. It listed off all the shit that can go wrong, and you're meant to give your permission for the doctor to make the decision to do more stuff if necessary, but I was freaking the fuck out. They had to cut out a bit of my skull and take out a big cyst, too, so I was terrified that I was gonna wake up with a big disfigured face and my jaw wired shut. I was fine.

I'm terrified of brain tumours, too. every time I get a headache, I freak out. I should not have The Google. I should not be allowed to access sites with any medical information on them whatsoever.

I'm terrified of brain tumours, too. every time I get a headache, I freak out. I should not have The Google. I should not be allowed to access sites with any medical information on them whatsoever.

No one should google symptoms. I'd always say, oh it's nothing when I didn't feel right. I hate hospitals. Until one day, something did happen and I got all freaked out. I started googling every fucking ache or pain. Terrible. I had to make myself stop. Now I'm back to just not caring. I'm better off, if something is going to happen, let it. This maybe a poor attitude to have but I figure better than driving myself insane.

I've no medical authority but it does sound like what you had was panic attack. I've had my fair share. Could be a bunch of mumbo jumbo but I was told after a traumatic event people can develop anxiety disorders or make preexisting ones worse. It almost feels as if you're having a heartache. You can't breathe, your heart races and you feel as if you're going to die. Like there is no other way it can turn out. They are awful. It's like all reason in your brain disappears because YOU know you are dying. It's really difficult the but the best thing to do is to control your breathing and try to calm down. The sooner you do this the sooner it passes.

It was something like a panic attack, but a sort of long, drawn-out one that lasted for several days. I get acute ones occasionally, but this is my second one of these shitty ones this month. They really stink. I used to get them whenever I had to go to UCD for any reason, and they took days to recover from.

I know it's stress, and a particular kind of stress that sets them off, they just suck and I always go a-googling as if I'm going to find a better explanation. It's what happens to me when I know that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result, and so I'm trying to find a better solution, and my 'better solution' results in someone deciding that threatening me is easier than just doing what they were meant to do.

It could also be that I calculated what I was owed for work I did months ago, and it is well over 10K, and I don't have enough in my bank account to cover the rent next week. I think that would stress anyone out.

Thanks to the internet, I have also managed to convince myself that I am actually mentally retarded, and everyone just assumes that it's a little late for me to find out so they might as well play along. I generally assume it's some form of autism, but not Asperger's because that's for smart people, and I'm just plain dumb.

I spent most of high school thinking I was autistic and when they wanted me tested for ADD, I was more frightened of them discovering my hidden autism than any ADD (which I knew I didn't have -- I just hated assholes with clipboards and knew it was just so they could dose all the mouthy kids with their new Ritalin), so I avoided being tested.

I wish I were making that up. It's all just a way of trying to find excuses for the fact that the only consistency in my life is that I am consistently failing at everything I do. And spectacularly. There's no diagnosis for being a loser, although I'm sure some dickhead will come up with one.

sounds pretty much like you're minds just doing its best to deal with modern life, it just gets swamped sometimes, better that then let everything wear away at you till you dont recognise yourself anymore.
also i thought people with autism had trouble feeling empathy for others as they found it difficult to understand the world around them and those in it as seperate to themselves? i get that i dont know you but are you sure that sounds like you?
i had pretty much everything you're describing on and off for 6 yrs. i had my daughter just before starting college so didnt have time to be stressed so my mind seemed to keep chugging on by letting me be laid back most of the time with random chunks of crazy time. even just accepting its stress is a big step, there might be things you can change, if you can't, you cant.
walks really really helped too. ive had 7 months crazy free so it's something you can manage meds free.

I generally assume it's some form of autism, but not Asperger's because that's for smart people, and I'm just plain dumb.

It's all just a way of trying to find excuses for the fact that the only consistency in my life is that I am consistently failing at everything I do. And spectacularly. There's no diagnosis for being a loser, although I'm sure some dickhead will come up with one.

I don't think I have ever felt the urge to use the phrase, "cop on" so much before. Seriously, Jane. FFS

sounds pretty much like you're minds just doing its best to deal with modern life, it just gets swamped sometimes, better that then let everything wear away at you till you dont recognise yourself anymore.
also i thought people with autism had trouble feeling empathy for others as they found it difficult to understand the world around them and those in it as seperate to themselves? i get that i dont know you but are you sure that sounds like you?
i had pretty much everything you're describing on and off for 6 yrs. i had my daughter just before starting college so didnt have time to be stressed so my mind seemed to keep chugging on by letting me be laid back most of the time with random chunks of crazy time. even just accepting its stress is a big step, there might be things you can change, if you can't, you cant.
walks really really helped too. ive had 7 months crazy free so it's something you can manage meds free.

No, I know I'm not actually retarded, it's just that that's the extent of my paranoia, which googling symptoms manages to fuel. I was in high school long before there was an internet, and my fucking paranoia was that bad. Imagine if I'd had access to the internet during my formative years -- I'd be fucking superloopers. The extent of my paranoia when it comes to my own abilities is such that I have actually entertained the idea that everyone except me knows I'm genuinely retarded.

I don't need drugs, I need a career I don't suck at. I need to stop accepting whatever jobs come my way, which I do with my 'beggars can't be choosers' approach to my work life. There are, sadly, no drugs and no alternative therapies that can cure serial loserdom. And I will probably always carry with me the sinking suspicion that somewhere, someone is sitting on some test results with a big 'RETARDED' rubber-stamped across it.

Sometimes I feel like there should be a Neurotics' Olympics. Then I worry that I'd come in last and all the other neurotics would make fun of me for not being neurotic enough. Man, I need to go for a walk or something. FAAAACK.

I don't think I have ever felt the urge to use the phrase, "cop on" so much before. Or "get over yourself" as I have trained a new friend to say to me if I ever sound like the above. Seriously, Jane. FFS

Ah, no, I just mean that I have to stop being a loser in the sense that I don't even have a proper CV at the moment because I've never applied for a job. I've always had a job, but they've always been the sort of thing where people asked me to do stuff and maybe wanted a thrown-together resume just to keep on file.

That's fuckin' sad, like. Now I really want to do a neurotics' olympics, though.

I'm totally gonna kick ass in the phobiadecathlon, although I'll have to choose my ten strongest phobias. Who wants to represent us in hand-washing? And definitely the competition for the symptom-googling team will be fierce.

turn that frown upside down

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its stress Jane.
I am totally familiar with these symptoms, and for me, the cure is
a) take a holiday. ( if possible)

*(basically b, c, and d are all the same, be disciplined.. but, yeah...)

b) do one thing at a time, do it slowly, focus on it. Doesn't matter what it is, just do it methodically. Do not let your mind skip off half way through. Don't do two things at once. Focus on doing just the one thing.
If you cant do this, then put yourself in situations where you can;t be distracted. Disconnect your machine from the Internet for an hour if you are working on writing something. Turn your phone off. Dont read email. I dunno, you will know better yourself.

c) Make a list.
The reason that panic builds, is that you feel like there are an infinite amount of other things that you have to do, and it paralyzes you and you can't do anything right.

Have a cup of tea. Do a few easy things off the list, and cross them off.

d) force yourself into a routine. It sounds kind of lame, but do it. Wake early. Go to bed early. Eat at the same time every day. Be meticulous with your time. Do not let work time overflow into your time. Be an asshole. My weekend. My time.
I'm not staying out drinking, I'm reading some comfortable book in a quiet room at 9.30, and going to bed at 10.30. That kind of thing. Focus on shutting down your brain. Its a skill, and a discipline. Its not easy, but you can learn it.
edit, like Squiggle said, Yoga / meditation are much the same thing, they are tools to help you discipline your mind.

This post might be kind of disjointed, I was out in da shitay last night, and I'm hung over to jaysus.

c) Make a list.
The reason that panic builds, is that you feel like there are an infinite amount of other things that you have to do, and it paralyzes you and you can't do anything right.

Lists are good. And timetables. I'm currently working on making a four-week timetable for myself so I can manage my time better. I'm working out what needs to be done daily, weekly, bi-weekly etc. I'm just getting too stressed over ridiculous things at the moment. Obviously the baby doesn't work to a timetable but lots of other things can.

I'm a bastard for worrying about things that need cleaning or washing or getting stuff done in the garden and so I'm going to just set times to do stuff like that.

And I'm going to set fixed days to see my da and do his shopping. I go down there in a rage a lot of the time as I feel I should be back home doing something else! He can be a pain in the hole though for ringing me when he's out of tomatoes or something stupid, so I had words with him the other day and said I'll do one shop for him once a week and that's it.

Stupidly, I also worry if I haven't brought the dogs for a super big fun walk in the phoenix park or the beach in a given week and they've only been to the local park every day. I'm going to set one day a week now for a big walk rather than feel guilty.

Plus I'm going to have to work again in a couple of months so I'll need to fit that in too. Which I will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back