Im Very Annoyed With Some People Here (1 Viewer)

my feelings on MCD are clear, particulary to a certain Purcell shaped member of the cabal. It should be interesting meeting the .... man... again.

I don't get the guilty referance. what's that about? i complain about the price of beer, food, my rent and prostitutes, but i still fork it out. i don't patronise MCD gigs.

if i did, would i be guilty? are the audience as guilty, in fact more guilty?

if thine MCD eye offends thee, pluck it out.

this aint over.

Hector Grey (17 Sep, 2001 03:22 p.m.):
i don't patronise MCD gigs.

if i did, would i be guilty? are the audience as guilty, in fact more guilty?

Here boss I know this might seem a little bit hard to understand but let's say a very small percentage of the crowd will be sung over to going cos the cake are on the bill. Therefore making money for MCD.

Also by playing their gigs are you not saying the way they treat bands and audience alike(ie: ripping both off) is okay?

i have a reply all typed up, but i don't know if i'm going to post it.

when you're really trying to break away and do something you love, maybe trying to get the word out enough so you can ditch you r stinking job and travel the world spreading your music, or just get to play it infront of new people who might like it and buy the album so you can afford the next one, i'll be right behind you too.

Suicide Forced To Cancel Irish Performances
News last updated: 17-09-2001

It is with the band's sincerest regret that SUICIDE have been forced to cancel this week's scheduled Irish performances.

As residents of Manhattan, New York City, the band are still coming to terms with the horrific events of the past week which occured within blocks of their residence.

With the turmoil engulfing the area they cannot be guaranteed to reach the airport in time for their scheduled flights as no Private Traffic is being admitted.

The Jimmy Cake has more heads than a hydra (nine vs. seven).
When we post as individuals on Thumped we speak with individual voices. When we play gigs, we decide what to do after discussions which never leave everybody happy. So it goes.

For the record, so far we have played one MCD sponsored gig which we didn't know until afterwards was an MCD gig (with D.Kitt in Whelan's - it was the Kitt Krew what booked us), and agreed to play one MCD show now cancelled. So that puts us more or less on the same footing as the man with the bag on his head in the TBMC.

PS
When can we stop using the events in NYC to pretend our lives are meaningless?

john (21 Sep, 2001 02:19 p.m.):
Stephen (17 Sep, 2001 02:36 p.m.):
Hector Grey (17 Sep, 2001 02:32 p.m.):
i honestly don't care.
but i didn't say there was a precedent, i was trying to appriciate what the reaction would be. had some previously championed band been signed to a major, i wouldn't have to ask that question.

savvy?

In closing, you and me, behind the bike sheds, at big lunch. You're fuken dead bud.

first john you know you have a higher center of gravity than me so you know you are fucked.
Secondly I just thought it was funny about the whole hector vs. MCD seeing as the band is nine strong. I mean three people are hard enough to get to agree let alone nine.
In conclusion, you know what it's liek you've counted the crowd and the ticket price and then looked at your pay and wonder "where did that grand go?".
It's not funny really is it?

havn't you noticed the Hector versus Everything aspect of my metier?

The reason im so annoyed is that i know people who work in a major label and i can assure you that they care deeply for music. I really dont understand why so many people here have such a chip on their shoulders about major labels. And without MCD there would be less venues. And as for ticket prices being lower, anybody who is promoting a band will look for as much money from the tickets as they can. Anyone who says differently is lying. Plus, i`d like to know who all these bands coming out of Ireland are. Its true that there are many Irish bands but few are making it outside Ireland. Oh yeah, and some-one was complaining about JJ72?? They are signed to an independant label so you might want to back-pedal there.

well, i might as well be the first...

- "i know people who work in a major label and i can assure you that they care deeply for music"

that may be so, but that's not what the fuss is about. major labels - no matter how deeply some of their staff might care about music - are designed to exploit. they serve no other purpose. i suppose some other people might post about major label links to arms manufacturing and animal testing and whale-nuking and the like but that's a wider framework. the fact remains that no band has ever been signed to a major label due to their artistic merit.

- "without MCD there would be less venues"

bullshit. so is that why they've frozen out the tivoli?

- "anybody who is promoting a band will look for as much money from the tickets as they can. Anyone who says differently is lying"

bullshit. if only for an obvious example, see www.thumped.com/thekids - name any other promoter who published their accounts as a flyer to show everyone where the money went.

and i really don't give a shit what else you were saying, but i'm not going to let you get away with saying that jj72 are on an independent label. they are not. they are on lakota records, who are financed directly by sony records. (how do you think they were able to afford full-page ads at a moment's notice when the hype took off?) lakota is perhaps a perfect example of the indie-front label, though more see-through than most. it is 100% owned by sony. so, as you say yourself, you might want to back-pedal there.

"Plus, i`d like to know who all these bands coming out of Ireland are. Its true that there are many Irish bands but few are making it outside Ireland."

Damo Frost are on tour in the U of K, + the Dudleys have done some London jobbies and I beleive Joan of the arse are away to the U of K soon to....

anyway why do a band have to be "making it" abroad to deserve your attention... thats quite sad chap.

"Oh yeah, and some-one was complaining about JJ72?? They are signed to an independant label so you might want to back-pedal there."

its not so much thier indieness or not, (see silo's point on that one :) ) its the fact that they are God awful angst rock cashing in on a sudden resurgeance of misuderstoodness in youth culture.

And they're crap!!!

Muzzle (24 Sep, 2001 09:08 p.m.):
Plus, i`d like to know who all these bands coming out of Ireland are. Its true that there are many Irish bands but few are making it outside Ireland.

Right Boss I think you are missing what you are looking at here. trees forest etc. this is a scene. We are an independent scene.
Just cos you can't buy any of the really great records being produced in Ireland at the moment anywhere but Ireland and England. Doesn't make them any less great.
I don't need anyone's endorsement for my musical tastes I suggest you do the same.

And frankly if you think JJ72 are an independent band you really have missed the point.

Ok, Just want to start by saying that Lakota isn`t owned by Sony. Its funded by them. Either way it is owned not by a corperation but by 3 individuals. And why did that promoters company show where all its money went? simple. Its got you loving them hasn`t it? Also, those Lee Scratch Perry band wouldnt sell 4 any more than a score and you know it. Besides, £20 is alot 4 a ticket if u ask me. Finally u say that majors are there to exploit? Do you think that independants are there to help you out of the goodness of their hearts? When it comes down to it, they all, independant or not, are out to make a living. Im sorry, but i think you all have a very shallow view on all this. Ok, im done. Now its time for you to quote me and disagree in a feeble attempt to make yourselves look intelligent. Fire away, but it wont change the facts.

he he he, I didn't know The Kids were a company?? do they have executive board meetings on what lollipops they'll be giving out, or what comedy black marker pictures they'll be scrawling on folks hands??

Muzzle, reading all this is like watching a dog chase its tail...

is what the kids are at these days? rather then being militantly puink and DIY they've become militantly corperate??

"uh man Slipknotbizkit suck, they're still on an independent label, I mean when are they going to get with it and sell out!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back