I'm Going Back to College! (1 Viewer)

man. I am very fucking old. And I got out of the Academic world for the first time about 2 months ago.

Best thing I did in a very very long time. Christ. In fairness, fuck most Academia. Fuck the egos, and the bipolar nutcases, and the people treating you like shit because they think they can.
And fuck being skint all the time.

Let's hear it for actually getting shit done.

man. I am very fucking old. And I got out of the Academic world for the first time about 2 months ago.

Best thing I did in a very very long time. Christ. In fairness, fuck most Academia. Fuck the egos, and the bipolar nutcases, and the people treating you like shit because they think they can.

I could say the same thing but I haven't been studying in 8 years. I'd prefer to study than work in academia. Get me the hell out before I go insane.

Hello.

I can't decide whether to go for a taught MA or Research MA.

what are yizzers thoughts on the matter? The subject is English and my interests vary from mildly amazing to mildblowingly awesome.

I did a taught one, we had 6 hours of lectures a week. It really helped to have lectures, meeting other students and getting to know your lecturers etc. I suppose it depends on the course, but for mine I couldn't imagine having done a research one.
That said, if it's an area you're really familiar with and lectures etc wouldn't benefit you, and you work better on your own, then maybe consider that.

do a research one, and try to track down your lecturers and talk to them one on one.

generally they will talk to you. Come to them at the start when you know nothing, and then after you know your shit to some extent.

You can always sit in on lectures your interested in anyway, no?

try to track down your lecturers
hmah! fuckin good luck.
for 2.5 years the only way i could pin down my adviser was if i was demo-ing an undergrad practical with her and she was physically trapped in the same room as me. in my 3rd year she's giving me more attention though. being a postgrad is an existential nightmare. but you get used to it.

Likewise. The only time I met my supervisor was by going to a lecture that I knew he had to give, sitting up the top of the lecture, and then cornering him before he could get out. The whole lecture he'd be giving nervous glances to see if I was still there, and I'd just lock eyes with him. Lunatic bastard so he was.
And if you missed him, the prick would literally be out the door and in the car speeding down to Cork.

When I was writing the thesis he asked why we didn't meet up more often.

There are ways though. And not all of them are like that. The young uns are usually still relatively keen.

I figured out today that the printer in frot of my office, in the few months before it died of overuse (like every copier/printer unfortunate to be taken in here), printed 406000 pages.

Roughly speaking that's enough to cover 5 football pitches.

I'm not feeling great about the outside world today.

a funded research masters that i find interesting would be my dream.

I'd generally just pick the hardest, most frightening shit I could find. Eventually it will become interesting.

I drew the line though at Formal Methods. Its good to find that place, I'm smart enough to do this, this and this... but not this.

found out today im gonna be starting a doctorate in clinical psychology in september. i still feel like getting onto the course at all is a bit of a joke. way too much of a messer for that. parents were so chuffed they agreed to pay the registration fee. suckers .|..|

found out today im gonna be starting a doctorate in clinical psychology in september. i still feel like getting onto the course at all is a bit of a joke. way too much of a messer for that. parents were so chuffed they agreed to pay the registration fee. suckers .|..|

Woah congratulations! that is some achievement. thinking about something similar myself.. where you doing it? Out of curiosity what kinda work experience did you have clincial reserach etc? thanks. Just been reading the clinpsy forum which is totally freaking me out seems so very competitive..

Woah congratulations! that is some achievement. thinking about something similar myself.. where you doing it? Out of curiosity what kinda work experience did you have clincial reserach etc? thanks. Just been reading the clinpsy forum which is totally freaking me out seems so very competitive..

thanks :) im still in shock. sat on my bed looking at the envelope for ages. terror! gonna be doing it in u.l. which is grand cos you only have to be there every second monday and on placement wherever then full time.
experience stuff... did a masters - not clinically related at all tbh but i did psychology and neuropsychology as part of it (bout 30% i spose). worked in neuropsych service for 14 months, 6 months of that was an assistant psych post. have been working in child services for last 12 months as an assistant psych as well, in a clinic and schools. had some tutoring work, bits n pieces of volunteer work and research assistant work too. it is ridiculously competitive, about 170 applicants for courses this year. the different colleges all seem to look for different things as well... i didn't get called for interview for ucd and yet have a place in limerick. madness!

edit: if youre thinking of going for it, good luck! hopefully it'll be worth it :)

edit: if youre thinking of going for it, good luck! hopefully it'll be worth it :)

Cool well I wish you all the best, would like to hear some updates in a year or so on how you're finding the course, I'm only finishing second year of undergrad so a long long way to go. I'll be ancient finishing it if I do decide to go ahead and do it, which is slightly scary to think about. But then again would hate to just have a job-to-pay the bills, so probably stick with it.

Cool well I wish you all the best, would like to hear some updates in a year or so on how you're finding the course, I'm only finishing second year of undergrad so a long long way to go. I'll be ancient finishing it if I do decide to go ahead and do it, which is slightly scary to think about. But then again would hate to just have a job-to-pay the bills, so probably stick with it.

will update with how it goes! i love working in the area so hopefully will be happy doing it. probably stating the obvious but if ya can get an assistant post afterwards it defo seems to be the way to go. will give you a real taste for it as well. the assistant psych google group thingy often has job stuff on it, im guessing youve prob seen it but just in case: http://groups.google.com/group/AP_Ireland?hl=en&pli=1

You're a legend .|..|.|..| so frickin delighted for you!!! :):heart::heart::heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back