I'm Going Back to College! (2 Viewers)

I went back to college (UCD - psychology) when I was 28. I finished in May and am hoping to go on to do a masters in Sept. I am SO delighted I went back and would totally recommend it. I did find that it was more work than social life cos they've the modularised system there now which basically equates to non-stop work but if it's what you want to do then you tend not to really mind about that.

I went back at 24, good times, I partied and worked hard for the three years.

are you breaking up with her?

Well, actually THAT particular lady was never my boss. And, unfortunately, it ended a few months ago anyway.

Glad to be getting the fuck out of there now. I was going to start a Breaking Up With Someone From Your Workplace thread but never got round to it. Needless to say it's not much of a laugh whatsoever.

Fair play man. 26 myself & I started back last year. Same boat as yourself. Dropped out first time round and got fed up with crummy jobs & whatnot. I'm going at nights which I thought would be a lot tougher than it actually is. Doing film, literature & drama in DBS. Kind of looking for work in production companies at the moment but they're few and far between if you don't have experience or know people. But yeah, stick with it man. You won't regret it.
.|..|
I'm doing that course too!! Hmmm...

yeh go for it Cinnamon - best of luck!

I did my first degree at eighteen and hated every second of it. Taking time out to be sure of what I wanted was the best thing I ever did and when I did my masters I put every bit of effort possible into it. I think that's half the battle, figuring out what you want and it helps you enjoy college more.

Good luck with it :)

I went straight into the workforce after school, made shit loads of money in property and am retired at 28.

Enjoy arts!

I went back as a mature student. It depends on your circumstances though. I had no ties or anything family wise, I probably have more coming out than before. College is hard but if you know what you want which you seem to, you'll be fine. I've seen a lot of mature students struggling to maintain families and homes which studying and that is a bitch.

Hello.

I can't decide whether to go for a taught MA or Research MA.

what are yizzers thoughts on the matter? The subject is English and my interests vary from mildly amazing to mildblowingly awesome.

Hello.

I can't decide whether to go for a taught MA or Research MA.

what are yizzers thoughts on the matter? The subject is English and my interests vary from mildly amazing to mildblowingly awesome.
do you have a taught one in English already or did I dream that?

I wouldn't do another taught one in the same field.

If I imagined it and you don't have one, I'd go for a taught one, the minor thesis will give you an indicator of what doing research is like and you can go on to do a PhD if you want to. Going from undergrad straight into pure research in pretty unusual in English as far as I recall and I think it'd be headwrecker and a half.

do you have a taught one in English already or did I dream that?

!ninjaaaa and also :( and let's not get into that one

Going from undergrad straight into pure research in pretty unusual in English as far as I recall and I think it'd be headwrecker and a half.
yes it is pretty odd, which is why I find it a fairly interesting idea

i think it's unusual because it's really hard! with no prior research experience being thrown straight into structuring all your own time and working almost totally on your own for 18 months-2years.. the one person I know who did it that way said it was the worst ever and would not recommend it.
if you got some research experience from that of which we shall not speak then fair enough, but if not I think you'd be making life a lot easier for yourself if you dipped your toes in via a taught masters first. get to research for about 3 months, find out if you like and and if you can hack it, and then go on and do a PhD if you're into it or stop at the minor thesis if you're not.

i got the parchment for my second masters in the post the other day, i never want to go back there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back