HWCH 2007 (3 Viewers)

I don't really see why people are getting so worked up about this, the selection process
seemed fair enough and the fact that they offer to give feedback detailing the areas
that they looked at when selecting bands seems pretty nice.

Imagine going to any other festival promoters and asking why or why not your band
was wasn't picked, this seems slightly more constructive even if you don't like their style.
given the fact that over 800, or something like that , acts applied means that there
is loads of interest in this, whether you guys are interested in it or not.

As for billy likening the bands that didn't make it to being sports team rejects I think that's a little silly at least they had their music listened to and considered.
I can't imagine that electric picnic, leechrum or any other festival big or small would have put together some sort of system where bands receive any sort of feedback as to why they where weren't picked.

the remark about bands not getting to play venues such as crawdaddy or whatever is a bit silly, maybe they just mean the chance for unknown bands to showcase work to some sort of audience without promoter or the bands themselves incurring huge losses is a good thing no?

The implication being that anybody who disagrees with you is a bitch or a failure? Careful now...

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure that I would want to give any money to a festival if the people running that festival believed themselves to be above criticism and refers to anyone who is less than 100% positive about it as a 'little bitch'. People who organise stuff should be looking for constructive criticism.

And if people are critical of the entry criteria, then how is that just bitchy? HWCH should be very wary of declaring themselves the arbiters of musical taste and quality. It's a festival, where decisions are made on the basis of the taste and marketing judgement of a small number of people. There's no objective decisionmaking when it comes to matters of music. To suggest that there is is to misunderstand what music means to people who really love it.

Not that I think HWCH is a terrible idea or anything, but I would also wonder why someone's question about whether HWCH fulfils its own goals was greeted with such a nasty, nasty response. Or am I a little bitch, too, just for asking?

I don't really see why people are getting so worked up about this, the selection process
seemed fair enough and the fact that they offer to give feedback detailing the areas
that they looked at when selecting bands seems pretty nice.
The selection process doesn't seem fair though-from what I understand...any band wanting to play this pays a E20 registration fee. This is money down the drain when there are acts playing who didn't even register in the first place.

I can see the meeting at the major labels:

"Ok, guys, someone has to go to HWCH. I know that no one is interested in a bunch of Dublin bands that they can see anytime they like anyway, but we have to show up - anybody? How about this - if you go, you won't have to organise the Christmas party? Anybody?

(man walks into the room)

Hey - who are you?

(Man answers) I'm just here to fix your powerpoint - did someone call the helpdesk?

(Record company man has an idea) How would you like to go to see some up-and/or-coming bands, where they network and share experiences in venues they wouldn't normally get to play? they may even need help with their powerpoint . . .well? . . .Well?

(Dangles promo copies of the new 'D11 Runners' EP and a jackie Hayden keyring)"

Not getting on the bill is not necessarily a sign of laziness on the bands part and is not a sign that they don't play outside of Dublin.

We (Groom) do all those things in the quoted post (to the best of our ability) and still nothing.
Ah now, that's not what i was saying at all, exactly the opposite in fact:
Probably 70-80% of these "hard working heroes" have never even played outside dublin.
If someone sees this as a big opportunity to "sort out potential tours, support slots and what not", they'd be a lot better off going out and doing it themselves than playing the same weekend as fifty or a hundred other bands.

Can someone put me straight about this being some sort of battle of the bands for adults or wha'?
It's actually the regional finals of "i'm an indie waif, get me out of here".
RSJ, you should know by now that I am very, very easily confused. Apologies for reading your post arse-backwardsly.
I even got a bit confused meself! Yer aaaaaaaaaa'righ.

Bands are silly for getting annoyed at being rejected anyway. If you ask the opinion of people you don't respect you've only yourself to blame.

This thread has EXPLODED!!!

amassiveexpl.jpg

Isn't the idea of them telling you why you weren't selected a bit "You're A Star"?

There was someone on Edel's show on Phantom the other day talking about HWCH. She said that people were ringing up to harrass the organisers about not being selected which is not on at all.

She then kind of said that if you hadn't been selected that you maybe weren't good enough and should just accept it.

Geebag.

I think the thing is, the people who get what it's possible to get out of HWCH are those who have an attitude like egg's, that it's a weekend of gigs, some of which might be quite good fun and feature pretty good bands.

And the bands who are accepted automatically are those who've already made it as far as they have by doing it themselves. In other words, the 'pulling' bands (and I'm not knocking the idea that they should have them) are those who have followed a model that is very different from the one that HWCH promotes.

Charging bands to apply is also well dodgy. You can't celebrate the underdog while making the underdog pay for the privilege of maybe not even playing. And to suggest that there are 'administration costs' involved is bull. Pass those costs on to your sponsors, not the bands who could use that money to make just a few more self-released CD singles.

I reckon MDR's scenario is more than a little accurate when it comes to labels.

Jane, I think it's free to enter.

I'll be going to it.. it's not a bad price to see Fight Like Apes, Jape, Lovekevins, Grand Pocket Orchestra, The Radio, blablabla.. I'd probably pay 15 quid to each of them any other time.

It's actually the regional finals of "i'm an indie waif, get me out of here".

Now this show I'd watch, but you'd have to have the indie waifs share a house with the bitches from Flavor of Love 2. And then, in a very small bedsit downstairs, there would be twenty fat brides, one size-zero dress and two boxes of laxatives.

Best TV ever.

Also, can we have a volcano in it that erupts poison sharks?

The selection process doesn't seem fair though-from what I understand...any band wanting to play this pays a E20 registration fee. This is money down the drain when there are acts playing who didn't even register in the first place.

I think they did away with the €20 application fee last year when they hooked up with Budrising. We didn't have to pay it anyways. Not sure how it worked this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back