HWCH 2007 (2 Viewers)

A friend's band who are/were relatively famous had no trouble getting through. She told me that a couple of years ago they were doing a photo shoot for HWCH with about 15 other bands, and upon talking to eachother they discovered that none among them had actually applied. This was back when bands were still being charged about a fiver for their applications.

I've heard this off loads of people (people who've applied but didn't get in). You could easily put it down to sour grapes I spose, but the selection process is fierce odd altogether.

A friend's band who are/were relatively famous had no trouble getting through. She told me that a couple of years ago they were doing a photo shoot for HWCH with about 15 other bands, and upon talking to eachother they discovered that none among them had actually applied. This was back when bands were still being charged about a fiver for their applications.

don't they set aside a block of slots for bands that might actually pull though? (no offence to any bands on here who applied :p)

- leigh

i'd say 90% of the bands were already on the bill without the sonicbids thing. but thats how all these festivals work. They have to be relatively commercial in their operation, otherwise there'd be a very empty Tripod...

i'd say 90% of the bands were already on the bill without the sonicbids thing. but thats how all these festivals work. They have to be relatively commercial in their operation, otherwise there'd be a very empty Tripod...

right - here i go...
the following bands i don't think needed to apply as i think they got automatically (deservedly!!!) and would have a (decent-ish pull to fill out a venue)

Aleko
Betamax Format
Butterfly Explosion
Channel One
Dry County
Evil Harrissons
Fight Like Apes
Ham Sandwich
Hooray for Humans
Le Bien
Miriam Ingram
Panda Kopanda
Super Extra Bonus Party
Ten Past Seven
Twinkranes

not knocking anyone else who entered and got in, but i just think these are the pullers - the rest are either...
very good, but don't have a huge following
or
i've never heard (or heard of)
or
i just think are shit

:D
- leigh

House of Mexico played this two years ago, we played in Pravda to 10 - 15 people, many of whom were are friends and family. Certainly that year the place would seem to fill up for one band, then empty instantly for the next as people moved on to another venue... so I don't know if it was that useful for us

We did get beer vouchers though and I got wrecked, so... every cloud...

House of Mexico played this two years ago, we played in Pravda to 10 - 15 people, many of whom were are friends and family. Certainly that year the place would seem to fill up for one band, then empty instantly for the next as people moved on to another venue... so I don't know if it was that useful for us

We did get beer vouchers though and I got wrecked, so... every cloud...
That's the problem with multi-venue festivals i find, that and the fact that many gigs will be totally full so you have to arrive a band early to be sure to see the band you want.

I Dunno, there's a few on it i'd like to see

Alphastates.....who are alright
Butterfly Explosion....girl singer looks good
Cathy Davey......loved her album
Channel One....cool noises
Fight Like Apes....lend me yiser face, like a band you'd see on 120 minutes
Ham Sandwich....not bad...liked click click boom
Hooray for Humans....who aren't playing
Jenny Lindfors....bit i heard i liked
Queen Kong... of there songs on my space has a riff from dirty boots by sy
The Blonde Majority...good vocal arrangements, catchy toons
The Radio....liked premonade star

Has anybody heard The Radio's album(s)? I'm mad into Rollerskate Skinny so I might take the plunge.. loved their last single, but I hope the rest is as good.

inexpensive, one entire weekend, loads of good bands, a forum for bands to meet up and hang out, playing in venues that a lot of bands wouldn't get the chance to otherwise... eh, yeah, how is that 'shit'?

This is a load of my arse.
"A forum for bands to meet up and hang out"? Dublin isn't exactly Mexico city. Most of these bands know each other - or at least know someone who knows them or something. It's not like they've been flown in from different parts of the universe.

"playing in venues that a lot of bands wouldn't get the chance to otherwise" - There isn't any reason why any of these bands wouldn't ever have the opportunity to put on a gig in these seemingly illustrious venues.

"one entire weekend" - isn't every weekend an entire weekend?

I mean if these bands want to get signed to a big label, they'll be signed on the basis of at least having some following they've built up themselves. It's hardly likely that this is the only opportunity they'll have to show their wears to record label people.

It's a bit silly having this selection process being so public. It's like being lined up against the wall to be selected for a football team at lunch time in the school play ground. Or Friendster.

I mean if these bands want to get signed to a big label, they'll be signed on the basis of at least having some following they've built up themselves. It's hardly likely that this is the only opportunity they'll have to show their wears to record label people.
If anything they run the risk of having label dudes there but no punters as their crowd has headed off to see some other band in some other venue.

this all sounds like sour grapes guys, sorry but it does

are The Chicks reforming for this, or is there another band called 'Chicks'?

Same one.

They're all back living in Ireland again now and I think they missed making music together.

They played a couple of other gigs this year.

I can't wait, willl be amazing.

Re: the radio.

Annie from chicks was in the radio for the first record. I've looked around for it briefly but didn't see it on sale anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back