Homemade Soup (1 Viewer)

excellent source of soup recipes: the new covent garden soup book (i think that's what it's called - it has a green cover). pretty much everything i've made from it is yum, and there are loads of unusual ideas.

i have plans to make a moroccan chickpea and spinach soup from it this evening, with lemon zest, cinnamon, and dried apricots.

Because the Fogester is ill, and I'm on the way out, I made a big vat of soup full of root vegetables, spinach, peas, garlic and ginger.

It's really nice.
because it's really nice, i'm assuming you didn't use parsnips....my g/f made up a ton of root veg soup on sunday, and unfortuantely used too much parsnip...i'm just happy she said she didn't like it before i did...grody to the max.

i made leek and potato soup last week, also dying with a cold, it was yum, really soothing....from nigel slater. this makes enough for 6 , i was eating it for a week but it is divine:heart::heart:

3 leeks
40g slice of butter
3 medium potatoes
a parmesan rind
1.5 litres veg stock or water
handful of parsley
6 tablespoons grated parmesan

slice the leeks and cook v slowly in the butter for 20 mins.
peel and cube potatoes and add to leeks, cook for 5 mins.
add cheese rinds and stock, season and cook for 40 mins.
at the end take out the rinds, add the parsley and whizz the soup in blender. season again and stir in grated cheese.

this sounds amazing. gonna make this for dinner this week. yay.

I made an experimental soup last night that turned out smashingly. Knorr were doing a promotion where they were giving people jalapeno peppers (!) last night so I started with that.

Sweat 3 small onions, 1 jalapeno pepper (de-seeded) and 4 celery stalks for about 10 minutes in olive oil
Add chunks of swede (amount to your preference) and 2 medium sized potatoes cut into chunks
Add 3 chopped carrots
Add 3 chicken stock cubes (or veg stock) and enough water to just cover the vegetables. Bring water to the boil
Let boil until veg are nearly cooked and add about half a cup or so of peas

When the potatoes and swede are cooked through, use the hand blitzer and blend.

Absolutely gorgeous - the pepper added only a slight bit of heat but a helluva lot of flavour and the soup was really nice and thick.

Yumyumyum

Wow, parmesan rind - inspired!
I've become anti-tinned tomatoes in soup, it can wreck the taste of other veggies. But lop a bit of sugar + worchester/soy sauce in, and it improves it slightly. AND tinned corn, never used that before, gonna throw some in next time.

I managed to break my housemates handblender, so it's off to Argos for a new one. You can pay up to 90 quid for one...thats just silly.

Parsnip and Apple soup is lovely with lots of proper black pepper.

Carrot coriander and coconut soup.

Load of carrots and some dried coriander

Boil them in water till they are nice and squishy

Blend them up and add salt and pepper.

Then add a tin of coconut milk. Re-heat and serve with some fresh coriander. So simple.

Made it last night it was delicious.

Parsnip and Apple Soup sounds delicious. A friend of mine had celeriac and pear soup recently... very yum.

An italian soup I love -

Garlic - as much as you like.
2 onions, finely chopped.
Lots of herbs - preferably fresh but dried are ok too
Tinned Tomatoes
small pasta shapes - really small ones like orizo or the little star shapes.
Water
Sugar, salt and pepper to taste.

Finely chop the garlic and sautee with the onions. Add the tomatoes and herbs... simmer about 15 or 20 minutes. Season to taste. Add a cup of pasa shapes and a cup of water. Simmer until pasta shapes are softened and serve. Delicious!

Parsnip and Apple Soup sounds delicious. A friend of mine had celeriac and pear soup recently... very yum.

An italian soup I love -

Garlic - as much as you like.
2 onions, finely chopped.
Lots of herbs - preferably fresh but dried are ok too
Tinned Tomatoes
small pasta shapes - really small ones like orizo or the little star shapes.
Water
Sugar, salt and pepper to taste.

Finely chop the garlic and sautee with the onions. Add the tomatoes and herbs... simmer about 15 or 20 minutes. Season to taste. Add a cup of pasa shapes and a cup of water. Simmer until pasta shapes are softened and serve. Delicious!

oh, oh, that reminds me:

simple garlic broth

a few tablespoons of minced garlic (about a small head. really, loads of garlic.)
bit of olive oil
pinch of saffron (optional, though it's very nice)
stock
sprig of thyme, sprig of parsley, and a bay leaf tied together

saute the garlic in the oil until it's just starting to go golden, then lob in everything else. simmer for about twenty minutes, or even longer if you want it to be garlickier.

you can then dress it up in various ways:

*add tinned tomatoes and tortellini
*add peas and tiny pasta
*serve in a bowl over a poached egg and some toast, with parmesan on top
*cook potatoes/rice in it
*make garlic versions of your favourite soups with it as stock
*etc.

it freezes really well, too.

excellent source of soup recipes: the new covent garden soup book (i think that's what it's called - it has a green cover). pretty much everything i've made from it is yum, and there are loads of unusual ideas.

i have plans to make a moroccan chickpea and spinach soup from it this evening, with lemon zest, cinnamon, and dried apricots.

sound, will check out that book for sure.

that soup sounds amazing, will source it and if i find it i'll make it this weekend for defo.

i know a nice one pot wonder with dried apricots chicken pine nuts and rice, but maybe thats another thread.

One of the most depressing things about my granny being dead is that I don't get to eat her veggie soup anymore. It was the proper stuff, made at the start of the week that me da used to eat for the rest of the school week (they were pretty poorly off).

Honest to god it's still the nicest soup I've ever had, full of chunky barley and fresh veg and herbs.Bit of crusty bread and I can understand why da doesn't seem too unhappy about essentially living off it when he was a kid.
She used to send it over to me in Uni and everything, and after my flatmates discovered how good it was 3 litres would last two days!

Not sure exactly how veggie it was tho as I think it was the bones of sunday dinner she used to make the stock!

Anyone got any good recipies for pumpkin soup? I made some yesterday and it's nice but not fantastic, bit of a weird texture. I added a potato and it got a bit better.
Here's the recipie anyway
fry chopped onion and garlic
add lots of pumpkin
add water and stock cube
Boil til soft
Fry up some spices in a frying pan, cumin seeds, coriander, curry powder and add
Blend and eat some
ponder the texture for a minute
Add a cooked spud and blend again
say hmmmmm, not bad.

We made this today, it's rreally good. It's taken from here with a few variations which I've added below.

Thai Style Pumpkin Soup With Chillies And Lemongrass:)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons tasteless oil (we used olive oil)
1 onion -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 small pumpkin -- such as buttercup -- skinned and chopped into 1-inch chunks.( we used the ones you get for making lanterns.)
2 1/8 cups water
1 2/3 cups canned coconut cream
1 tablespoon hot sweet thai chilli sauce ( we used a fresh chilli)
1 tablespoon lemon grass -- finely chopped
OR 1/2-tsp lemon rind -- finely grated
freshly ground pepper
salt
1/4 cup fresh coriander (we used the dried stuff bout a teaspoon)
cinnamon at least half a teaspoon to taste
dried cumin at least half a teaspoon to taste
chopped coriander leaves -- for garnish

1. In a large pot, heat oil and gently cook onion with brown sugar and
garlic over low heat until softened (8-10 minutes).

2. Add chopped buttercup, water, coconut cream, chilli and lemongrass or rind.

3. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt.

4. Simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.

5. Remove and puree until smooth.

6. Just before serving, adjust seasoning to taste.

7. Mix in chopped coriander.

8. Ladle soup into heated bowls and garnish with a fresh coriander leaf.

Hope that makes sense

ooh, that sounds yum. but...

1/4 cup fresh coriander (we used the dried stuff bout a teaspoon)

nooooo! there are no substitutes for fresh coriander! either you used a)some kind of dried form of the leaf, which can't have had much flavour as coriander really doesn't dry well, or b)ground coriander seed, which is also delicious but has a very different taste and shouldn't be used instead of the leafy stuff.[/coriander fascist]

that said, i'm sure it tasted lovely anyway, and i am taking note of the recipe.

ooh, that sounds yum. but...

nooooo! there are no substitutes for fresh coriander! either you used a)some kind of dried form of the leaf, which can't have had much flavour as coriander really doesn't dry well, or b)ground coriander seed, which is also delicious but has a very different taste and shouldn't be used instead of the leafy stuff.[/coriander fascist]

that said, i'm sure it tasted lovely anyway, and i am taking note of the recipe.

Jeez I'm really sorry, we used ground coriandder seed as it's all we had. Fresh Coriander Leaf is however amazing I do agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back