Bulgur Wheat -might appeal to veggies on Thumped (1 Viewer)

Wobbler

Website
www.discogs.com
What a grain. You can find it in health stores (but don't let that put you off)and those deadly food shops where foreigners work. Shits on quiona.

I followed this recipe today. It happens to be vegan.

Nigel Slater said:
Bulgur wheat with aubergines and mint
Bulgur is one of those mild, warming grains that soothes and satisfies. I value it for its nubbly texture and nutty flavour. This, to me, is supper, but others may like to use it aside something else such as grilled chicken or a gravy-rich stew.
serves 2 with seconds
olive oil - 6 tbs
a small onion
a bay leaf
aubergines - 2 small ones
garlic - 2 large cloves
bulgur wheat - 225g
vegetable stock - 500ml
tomatoes - 4
pine kernels - 3 tbs, toasted
mint - 15-20 leaves
Warm the olive oil in a shallow pan, peel and finely slice the onion and let it cook slowly in the oil with the bay leaf. When the onion is soft and pale gold, add the aubergine, cut into 3cm pieces, and the peeled and chopped garlic. Let the aubergine cook, adding more oil if necessary, until it is golden and soft. Pour in the bulgur wheat and the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer gently for 15-20 minutes till the wheat is tender and almost dry. Halfway through cooking roughly chop the tomatoes and add them, then, once the wheat is cooked (it should still be nubbly and have some bite), stir in the toasted pine kernels and chopped mint leaves. Check the seasoning; it will need both salt and pepper.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/oct/12/foodanddrink.shopping1

Any other fans? Any other recipes, I have a big bag of the stuff.

Got a kilo bag for two something today. That was in a foreign shop on Talbot St. They probably fleece you in Health Food shops. Pity you couldn't make it for tea,. You could have tried some.

What a grain. You can find it in health stores (but don't let that put you off)and those deadly food shops where foreigners work. Shits on quiona.

I followed this recipe today. It happens to be vegan.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/oct/12/foodanddrink.shopping1

Any other fans? Any other recipes, I have a big bag of the stuff.

i have one for a great sort-of-tabouleh thing where you just soak the bulghur til it's soft in hot water, then add loads of chopped rocket, mint, parsley, sliced cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and a really lemony salad dressing. the recipe says to serve with grilled chicken but it's nice on its own too.

i'll check the exact quantities this evening.

i have one for a great sort-of-tabouleh thing where you just soak the bulghur til it's soft in hot water, then add loads of chopped rocket, mint, parsley, sliced cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and a really lemony salad dressing. the recipe says to serve with grilled chicken but it's nice on its own too.

i'll check the exact quantities this evening.
Nice one.

TOTALLY WRONG! Qunioa is the king of all grains*.

It's by far the most nutritious as it's also a complete protein as well as a complex carbohydrate.

It also tastes great if you make it properly. Best to cook it with 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of quinoa, then when the germ begins to seperate (ie when you start seeing curly white bits), take it off the hob and let it sit till it soaks up the rest of the water. A simple and effective way to make it taste amazing is mix in some sesame oil and a decent bit of salt before serving.

* Technically untrue, as it's officially a a pseudograin. Still, moot point.

/hijack

A simple and effective way to make it taste amazing is mix in some sesame oil and a decent bit of salt before serving.

/hijack

Or cook it in veggie stock instead of just water. I'm usually a quinoa salad for lunch girl but doing the bulgur wheat this week cause I couldn't find any quinoa in the supermarket. Makes a nice change, but quinoa's definitely more filling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back