Homemade Soup (1 Viewer)

KokaneeCowgirl

Hiyas,

Any recipe ideas? My better half and I are dying with colds and I want to make a nice homemade soup for dinner tonight. I'll post my usual recipe below but was wondering how other people make theirs? I want to try something different tonight.

Soup
Sweat 1 large onion with 3 cloves of garlic (more or less to taste)
Add in some chopped carrots, celery, swede
Fry those around for a while, just softening them a bit
Add a couple of OXO cubes and water and 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Season and serve when all veg are cooked through

Sometimes I add pearl barley or rice or chicken at the first stage when frying off the onions and other veg.

Spinach and Mushroom Soup for the feeble bodied:

-Lots of onions, garlic, ginger and nutmeg (nearly a full 'meg' I'd say), fried up (all good for the immune system)

-Then throw in a couple of bags of frozen spinach, some chopped mushrooms, stock, other seaoning including marmite and lemon juice, both of which are full of vitamins.

cook for a while, blend well and eat everyday for the rest of your life coz it's so blinkin gorgeous

Add sour cream to taste when serving.

-Lots of onions, garlic, ginger and nutmeg (nearly a full 'meg' I'd say), fried up (all good for the immune system)

-Then throw in a couple of bags of frozen spinach, some chopped mushrooms, stock, other seaoning including marmite and lemon juice, both of which are full of vitamins.

cook for a while, blend well and eat everyday for the rest of your life coz it's so blinkin gorgeous

Edit: oh - i forgot these were medicinal recipes...
is this not a bit overkill on the flavours and tings? surely someone can come up with better homemade soup recipes than this? :p

i made leek and potato soup last week, also dying with a cold, it was yum, really soothing....from nigel slater. this makes enough for 6 , i was eating it for a week but it is divine:heart::heart:

3 leeks
40g slice of butter
3 medium potatoes
a parmesan rind
1.5 litres veg stock or water
handful of parsley
6 tablespoons grated parmesan

slice the leeks and cook v slowly in the butter for 20 mins.
peel and cube potatoes and add to leeks, cook for 5 mins.
add cheese rinds and stock, season and cook for 40 mins.
at the end take out the rinds, add the parsley and whizz the soup in blender. season again and stir in grated cheese.

Mmm, that does sound lovely - but I've never had marmite, let alone in a soup - what's it taste like?

Thanks for the tips :)

i made leek and potato soup last week, also dying with a cold, it was yum, really soothing....from nigel slater. this makes enough for 6 , i was eating it for a week but it is divine:heart::heart:

Oooh that actually sounds like just the ticket. May add a bit of cream (naughty!!) for extra specialness.

Yum yum. Thanks .|..|

Mmm, that does sound lovely - but I've never had marmite, let alone in a soup - what's it taste like?

Thanks for the tips :)

It's just a meaty kind of dark flavour. Works wonders in as a stock but isn't necessary. I add it for nutritional value. Full of B vitamins.

Shaney- don't forget to touch your mickey after you chop chillies. It brings you much good luck!

Parsnip and Ginger Soup... really great.

Can't remember exact quantities but basically...

3 or 4 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced,
ginger, peeled and thinly sliced,
1 bunch spring onions
salt and pepper
Stock

fry the ginger in butter or oil over a low heat (in a large saucepan) for about 3 minutes. Add the parsnips and fry for a further 3 or 4 minutes. Chop the spring onions and add. Add a litre or so of stock and simmer until parsnip has softened. Blitz the lot until smooth and season.

easiest soup ever -

*chop up a few carrots, celery, potatoes (less potatoes than the rest of the veggies unless you like the soup thick), onions, broccoli (you could be even healthier and get all organic veggies)
*put in a pot
*put an organic Kallo yeast free stock cube in just boiled water and pour over veggies till it covers them (or more if you like it watery etc)
*bring to boil
*simmer for around 13 mins (!)
*add thyme, black pepper, etc to taste.
*Blend with handheld blender if you want.

Delish! Serve with some wholegrain toast/spelt toast.

i made some barley and lentil soup tonight because i'm not feeling the best.
it was really great. fucked a load of stock, olive oil, garlic, some ginger, onions, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, oregano and basil together and it came out great.
i decided not to blend it because i wanted that chunky veg buzz.
plus it was nice to have barley for a change.

'nother super easy one:

*saute chopped potato, onion, garlic, leek (if you have one), chopped chilli.
*add stock (marigold stock powder stock is grand) and simmer until veg is tender.
*add either chopped roasted red peppers you have lovingly roasted and peeled yourself or (wimpy but much easier option) a jar of roasted red peppers.
*add a tin of sweetcorn.
*and a good glug of cream if you like.
*blenderize and season to taste.

it is nyom. nyom, i tell you.

Tomato and Red Lentil Soup:

cook up celery, onions, carrots, fresh fennell, garlic, fresh chilli
cook your lentils in another pot with wedges of onion and lemon (no salt) til they're soft

Put them together with a couple of cans of tomatoes, some puree and stock

Blend

Eat

Be merry

Parsnip and Ginger Soup... really great.

quote]
will defo try this sounds sweet...

Heres one
Tuscan Bean Soup (for 6)

fry chopped large onion and handfull chopped pancetta (optional) in olive oil slowly for about 10 mins,
add 3 finely copped carrots and 2 finely chopped celery for 5 mins
add 2-3 chopped garlic cloves for 1 minute
add 1.2 liters of stock and 3 tins of chopped tomatoes
add bay leave and season well
bring to boil and reduce
cook until veggys are soft
add cannellini beans (kidney or butter beans do either) about 5 mins from end.

also if your feeling fancy serve with basil pesto and parmesan toasts....

jasus i love eating...

3 leeks
40g slice of butter
3 medium potatoes
a parmesan rind
1.5 litres veg stock or water
handful of parsley
6 tablespoons grated parmesan

slice the leeks and cook v slowly in the butter for 20 mins.
peel and cube potatoes and add to leeks, cook for 5 mins.
add cheese rinds and stock, season and cook for 40 mins.
at the end take out the rinds, add the parsley and whizz the soup in blender. season again and stir in grated cheese.

I made this at the weekend.
Nicest soup ever :) :) :)

Cheers Coraline...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back