Talk about the dinner you made (1 Viewer)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
I couldn't find the old thread. I seem to be constantly running out of dinner ideas so post your recipes/suggestions here.

On Friday I made shrimp & sausage jambalaya (except I used prawns so it was prawn & sausage jambalaya). It's really easy and tastes great! It's well spicy.

I used two big toulouse sausages - chopped these up and fried them in two big knobs of butter. Then I threw in four tablespoons of cajun spices. You can get these in your fancy shops like Fallon & Byrne or whatever, or you can just use 1 tbsp cumin, 2 of paprika and half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. (I just realised my four tablespoons was way too much, explains why my jambalaya was super awesome HOT, but that's actually good because I like it like that)

The main thing is to fry the spices in the butter for a few minutes, then I threw in a can of tomatoes, then some chopped celery (2 stalks), a green pepper and 4 or 5 spring onions. I left those to saute for a couple of minutes, then added some salt and a bayleaf, stirred that in, and then threw in 750 mls of chicken stock. Then I threw in 150 g of brown rice. However, I found this wasn't enough and later I had to add some more rice (I actually used sushi rice as it cooks faster, worked grand). But next time I'll use maybe 200g of brown rice. I left this around half an hour until the rice was more or less cooked, then threw in the prawns, which cooked in a few minutes. I think it was around 400 g of prawns.

It was super yum with bread & butter and even nicer the next day. Rec-o-mmended.

I've been experimenting for the past three weeks on trying to source all my food from donegal. Its going well except donegal does not have indigenous meusli, bananas, coffee etc. however, basic raw materials are there - i made this last week and it was great:

French Beef Stew
Ingredients
675g cubed beef stewing steak
4 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
400ml beef stock
4 carrots, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preparation method
1.Combine beef and flour in a large plastic food storage bag and toss to coat evenly.

2.In a 6 litre casserole or saucepan, brown beef in hot vegetable oil over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

3.Add tomatoes, beef stock, carrots, potatoes and thyme. Bring to the boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover; and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Blend in mustard and serve.

Also i made up this soup last week. i Make a vat of soup on a weekly basis now:

one big onion (cut this up)
one section of garlic (cut this up)
one really big carrot (cut this up)
two heads of broccoli (cut this up)
some butter/water
vegetable stock
dill - two spoons
salt/pepper

put butter the saucepan with a little water (stops the onions from browning if you are absent minded), melt it at low (50%) heat
cut the onion and garlic into saucepan and cook it at a low temp untill its soft - dont make it brown.
add in the carrot and broccoli, enough boiling water to cover it (boiling water helps broccoli stay dark green)
add the vegetable stock and two spoons of dill.
cook untill carrots are cooked
put it in the blender.

fry up some chunks of peppers and mushrooms, put them into some foil, put fish on top, add garlic, some fresh corriander and plenty of blue cheese, squeeze lemon juice over the lot and seal it in the foil. put it in the oven til the fish is cooked, not too long, then empty it all over some baby spuds. you could probably do it in a dish too but then you'd have to wash it.

I couldn't find the old thread. I seem to be constantly running out of dinner ideas so post your recipes/suggestions here.

On Friday I made shrimp & sausage jambalaya (except I used prawns so it was prawn & sausage jambalaya). It's really easy and tastes great! It's well spicy.

I used two big toulouse sausages - chopped these up and fried them in two big knobs of butter. Then I threw in four tablespoons of cajun spices. You can get these in your fancy shops like Fallon & Byrne or whatever, or you can just use 1 tbsp cumin, 2 of paprika and half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. (I just realised my four tablespoons was way too much, explains why my jambalaya was super awesome HOT, but that's actually good because I like it like that)

The main thing is to fry the spices in the butter for a few minutes, then I threw in a can of tomatoes, then some chopped celery (2 stalks), a green pepper and 4 or 5 spring onions. I left those to saute for a couple of minutes, then added some salt and a bayleaf, stirred that in, and then threw in 750 mls of chicken stock. Then I threw in 150 g of brown rice. However, I found this wasn't enough and later I had to add some more rice (I actually used sushi rice as it cooks faster, worked grand). But next time I'll use maybe 200g of brown rice. I left this around half an hour until the rice was more or less cooked, then threw in the prawns, which cooked in a few minutes. I think it was around 400 g of prawns.

It was super yum with bread & butter and even nicer the next day. Rec-o-mmended.

oh mi corazón

get some amazing new spuds from the veg wagon that has all the local shit in it. forget and peel them, decide to salvage them by making mash, realise your out of butter, add a wee bit of dill but then the lid falls off and its nearly 25% dill. grin and bear it while your eyes water with the sheer concentration of dill. those cans in the fridge are looking pretty sexy right now.

fry up some chunks of peppers and mushrooms, put them into some foil, put fish on top, add garlic, some fresh corriander and plenty of blue cheese, squeeze lemon juice over the lot and seal it in the foil. put it in the oven til the fish is cooked, not too long, then empty it all over some baby spuds. you could probably do it in a dish too but then you'd have to wash it.

What kind of fish? Still though, fish & cheese = all sorts of wrong

i made a turkish dinner last night, rice cooked with onion, tomato, pine nuts, currants and cinnamon, and aubergines stuffed with mince. the rice was good but the aubergines were fairly insipid, mainly because i had to use veggie mince to cater for the lame, animal-loving life partner. i stewed it in all kinds of crap (red wine, onions, tomatoes, minced olives and garlic, soy sauce) to try to give it a good flavour but it still tasted like veggie mince.

I'm mad into roasting chickens lately.

I have my shit down. Get them coming out moist on the inside with crispy skin and bones falling apart. I'm fond of adding a lemon and a good bit of garlic also.

Sometimes I'll just pour a glass of wine and have half a chicken on its own with salt and pepper in front of the telly.

No rules. No fear.

Washingcattles Beefy Saag Alloo with optional halumi

You'll need
Halumi (optional)
Beef (cheap steak works)
Fresh Coriander I usually use the bunch in a bag you get from tescos I've no idea how much there is in one of these but use the whole thing
Pureed Spinach
A few Tomatoes I prefer cherry tomatoes
A Red Onion (optional)
4 cloves of Garlic
Crushed chillis
a bigish lump of Ginger
Half a lemon
Curry Powder
Garam Masala
2-3 rooster Potatoes

Start boiling those potatoes, Leave the skins on they're good for you.

When your Potatoes are cooked I like to cut them into small chunks or slices then put them on a baking tray drizzle some olive oil, then liberally cover them in Garlic, curry powder and chillis, then give them about 20 minutes in the oven to add a bit of crispyness to the skins. This is optional of course.

While all that is going on

Grate up that Garlic, Fella

Finely chop your ginger and coriander, sonny

Dice those onions and tomatoes, kid

cut up some steak into strips and the halumi into slices

lash up the Heat with some olive oil in a pan

Fry the steak and halumi with grated Garlic and chopped ginger and as many crushed chillis as you see fit.

lash in your Onion let it soften up as you like it. Normally red onion wouldn't be in this kind of thing but I like them they're definitely not essential but you have to let them cook a wee bit because otherwise they bully the whole thing little.

Add your tomatoes give it about 30 seconds for them to soften up.

Now add the spinach, coriander, Garam masala, Curry powder a bit more garlic and crushed chillis give it a squeeze of Lemon juice.

Turn down that heat and let it have a simmer. Stir and fold it regularly.
At this point it should look like a bubbling cow pat with white cheesey lumps and beef strips in it, don't worry this is correct.

Serve with rice if you're a wannabe fat bastard like myself.

It should look like this

SaagPaneer.jpg

I prefer Halumi to panaer and you have to imagine some strips of steaks sticking out. It tastes amazing but it does look like shit.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back