homebrew recipes (1 Viewer)

there was a program on hosted by Rory McGrath and each week they made a home brew from natural ingredients and from a kit. The Cider one looked very easy to make from scratch. All you needed was an apple press and apples.

If its your first time brewing, I'd recommend an extract, available from most health food shops. Cleanliness is the key. Lots of washing and sterilizing involved, but well worth it. Brewed an 8.4percent lager from extract, that was lovely and worked out at 40 cent a pint.

Tom you should be on tv. I like the way you stroke the beam in the first video.

Just bottled a ginger beer and an cider tonight. The ginger beer will finish at 6.6% and the cider at 8.4%. Recipes below.

Ginger beer

350 g ginger root, grated
1 kg sugar
1 lemons, sliced
1 tsb brewers yeast
Approx 5 Litres of water

Instructions

1. Boil as much water as you can get in your stock pot, peel the lemons (avoiding pith), then throw in the peel and squeeze in the juice.
2. Grate the ginger (skin too) and throw in.
3. Add sugar and reduce temp to simmer for about 30 mins.
4. add mix to demijohn. Once cooled to fermentation temp sprinkle the yeast on top.
5. Cover and ferment for 4 days.
6. Strain and squeeze the juice from the pulp and transfer to a clean fermenter until complete (usually about 5 / 7 days).
6. Bottle in strong glass bottles adding 1 teaspoon of priming sugar to each.

Cider:

5lt of lidl cloudy apple juice
sugar
1 tsb yeast

Heat 2 ltr of juice enough to dissolve the sugar, i used about 300grm of brewers sugar. Stick it all in the 5ltr container and leave for about 6 days or until it's finished fermenting (5-7 days). Prime bottles with 1 tsb of sugar and bottle. leave for a few days to fizz up and drink.

I am going to try the homebrewing. I was thinking of just getting this set of equipment. There are two fermenters - is that so you can leave it ferment in one and then transfer it to the other for mixing with the priming sugar or just so you can have two batches on the go? is a grommet the air lock thing? is leaving it ferment in a plastic bucket as good as the glass ones? can you put a brew belt on the plastic buckets? I know i could ring up and ask these questions but i get confused. I have a book and it seems easy enough but then when i think about starting it i have an awful time trying to remember what i need to do and know.

Just bottled a ginger beer and an cider tonight. The ginger beer will finish at 6.6% and the cider at 8.4%. Recipes below.

Ginger beer

350 g ginger root, grated
1 kg sugar
1 lemons, sliced
1 tsb brewers yeast
Approx 5 Litres of water

Instructions

1. Boil as much water as you can get in your stock pot, peel the lemons (avoiding pith), then throw in the peel and squeeze in the juice.
2. Grate the ginger (skin too) and throw in.
3. Add sugar and reduce temp to simmer for about 30 mins.
4. add mix to demijohn. Once cooled to fermentation temp sprinkle the yeast on top.
5. Cover and ferment for 4 days.
6. Strain and squeeze the juice from the pulp and transfer to a clean fermenter until complete (usually about 5 / 7 days).
6. Bottle in strong glass bottles adding 1 teaspoon of priming sugar to each.

Cider:

5lt of lidl cloudy apple juice
sugar
1 tsb yeast

Heat 2 ltr of juice enough to dissolve the sugar, i used about 300grm of brewers sugar. Stick it all in the 5ltr container and leave for about 6 days or until it's finished fermenting (5-7 days). Prime bottles with 1 tsb of sugar and bottle. leave for a few days to fizz up and drink.

Sounds deadly, must give it a go some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back