Ring type cameras? (1 Viewer)

the_jen

Supporter
Solutions
Anyone any experience / opinion of Ring type cameras? Particularly setting them up for old people without inviting a forever role as tech support.

Ring cameras are quite popular due to their user-friendly features and are highly effective in home security. They provide high-quality video, motion alerts, live view, two-way talk function, and are accessible via smartphone, tablet, or PC. This makes them an excellent choice for supervision, especially for older people.

However, while Ring has made their setup a very straightforward process, it can still be complex for someone who isn't tech-savvy, particularly for senior citizens who are often not comfortable with technology.

The standard setup process for a Ring camera includes:
1. Downloading the Ring app on a smartphone or tablet.
2. Creating an account.
3. Following the step-by-step process within the app to connect the camera to the home's Wi-Fi network.
4. Mounting the camera.

After setup, the challenge can be teaching the elderly how to use the Ring app, understanding notifications, and using the two-way talk feature.

Depending on the individual's comfort level with technology, you might find that the initial setup process and teaching them how to use it might invite an ongoing support role.

To mitigate this issue, consider writing up or printing off a step-by-step guide with screenshots on how to use the app so they have a point of reference when you're not there. You could also consider regular sessions where you can answer their questions and troubleshoot any issues they might be having.

If the elderly person has a regular carer or someone else who visits regularly, it would be beneficial if that person also learns how to use the system, providing another source of tech support.

Another possibility could be to setup remote access for you or someone else willing to provide tech support, so that changes can be made or any issues can be diagnosed without needing to physically interact with the device. Make sure this is done with full consent and understanding, of course.

In conclusion, while Ring cameras are easy to use for most, they may not be the same for the elderly and might require ongoing tech support. Ring does offer customer support, and their website has a detailed FAQ and Troubleshooting section, which might provide answers and solutions to common problems.

I set up a Ring camera for my mother with an Amazon Echo Show 8 so she can see who’s at the door without having to actually do anything. She’s in her 80s and it’s grand - zero interaction required from her.

I bought a second battery so that one is always charged and ready to go and I can swap it out whenever it gets low.

A guy in work showed me a photo of one this week that was found stuffed in a pipe and hidden in some bushes. So it appeared as if criminals was using it to monitor the coming and goings of a house in order to determine an opportune moment to rob the place.
I have called to house when no one was home and talked to someone over the phone via one kinda weird and funnily futuristic but it worked.

I have the doorbell and I got one put in for my ma too. They're deadly, especially when you're not home. You can chat to the DPD man and tell him where to leave the package.

They also work with 5Ghz wi-fi, which is great cos most stuff doesn't.

My one is on battery so I have to charge it every once in a while. A full charge lasts for months. My ma's one runs off the mains so there's no issue.

I have one as I thought it'd be useful because I work at the back of the house. I can't get it to connect to my HUB though. It doesn't activate automatically as I expected it to when someone is at the door or rings the bell. I still rely on the dog going apeshit to warn me that someone is at the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back