Home improvement (4 Viewers)

we have a honeywell system here - wireless TRVs talking to a central controller. it's dead handy - you can set all sorts of schedules and thresholds for each room.
right now, because the lads are still working here (they're finishing the wiring in the kitchen) with loads of doors open, i'm sitting at my desk with just the rad in this room on, using the manual override on the TRV.
My goal is efficiency - you’re only running the boiler long enough to heat the radiators that are actually turned on, right?

Also have our first far infrared radiator ordered. Just a small one for somewhere that we can’t have a normal radiator, but I’m interested to see how it works out.

My goal is efficiency - you’re only running the boiler long enough to heat the radiators that are actually turned on, right?
yes - you can define thresholds for each room. e.g. 20C, and once the room reaches that temp, the valve is closed. and you can use schedules to stagger which rooms are on at which time, or as mentioned, manually override them.
we don't bother with schedules, we just have thresholds set for each room and turn the heating on as required. there's also an economy mode, which reduces each threshold by 3C, and another which is 'all rooms to 15C'.
there's a hardwired frost protection built in that if any reach 5C, they come on.

A lot of new trvs don't require to drain system, a lot of retrofits involve replacing entire apartment blocks and they dont need to drain them

Source: my dads mate runs an industrial renewables company and told us

ZigBee is the tits.
I use Hubitat elevation as the brain and nearly every smart yoke in the house are ZigBee. Think I've one z-wave device

ZigBee is the tits.
I use Hubitat elevation as the brain and nearly every smart yoke in the house are ZigBee. Think I've one z-wave device
I’ve 47 Zigbee devices in the house so far.

Also have a load of older wifi smart plugs and bulbs, plus the Ring alarm motion & contact sensors all integrated in Home Assisitant.

I’ve 47 Zigbee devices in the house so far.

Also have a load of older wifi smart plugs and bulbs, plus the Ring alarm motion & contact sensors all integrated in Home Assisitant.

Sweeet. am yet to integrate my intruder alarm system as I want to install my cctv first as I'm waiting on a few things to be done before that but yeah, eventually being able to control and see everything from dashboards on phones and maybe a tablet or two in the gaff.

The only problem I’m having right now is the wiring of some of the existing 2 way light switches. Flip the switch in the attic and the switch at the bottom of the attic stairs loses power so it stops working, even manually.

Also my hall light switch is a 3 gang 2 way switch that also provides power to (but doesn’t control) the living room light switch. I lost an afternoon trying to figure that one out - turn off the hall light and the light in the living room goes on, that kind of thing… the fact that every single lighting wire is brown doesn’t help me much either. Anyway I put the original switch back on and when I’ve enough electrical jobs I can’t do myself I’ll get a man in. Like I’ve a smart immersion controller to go in, but I’m not touching that.

Also have our first far infrared radiator ordered. Just a small one for somewhere that we can’t have a normal radiator, but I’m interested to see how it works out.

What kind of infrared radiator did you go for? I was watching grand designs recently and the home owner went with ceiling ones, that were built in behind the plasterboard. SEE HERE. Got me thinking.

What kind of infrared radiator did you go for? I was watching grand designs recently and the home owner went with ceiling ones, that were built in behind the plasterboard. SEE HERE. Got me thinking.
All I know is it’s also a bathroom mirror.

I had wanted to rip out the gas boiler and all the existing radiators in a year or two and put those panels in everywhere instead but then we needed to replace the (25 year old) boiler at short notice so that plans been shelved for a while.

Edit. This one I think. I didn’t order it myself

The only problem I’m having right now is the wiring of some of the existing 2 way light switches. Flip the switch in the attic and the switch at the bottom of the attic stairs loses power so it stops working, even manually.

Also my hall light switch is a 3 gang 2 way switch that also provides power to (but doesn’t control) the living room light switch. I lost an afternoon trying to figure that one out - turn off the hall light and the light in the living room goes on, that kind of thing… the fact that every single lighting wire is brown doesn’t help me much either. Anyway I put the original switch back on and when I’ve enough electrical jobs I can’t do myself I’ll get a man in. Like I’ve a smart immersion controller to go in, but I’m not touching that.
brown wires are usually positives called switched lives and you're basically feedin the load (bulb) from different positives / locations

A lot of new trvs don't require to drain system, a lot of retrofits involve replacing entire apartment blocks and they dont need to drain them

Source: my dads mate runs an industrial renewables company and told us
i would have assumed it's determined by the old valve you're replacing?

brown wires are usually positives called switched lives and you're basically feedin the load (bulb) from different positives / locations
Sorcery. I mean I think I need to join some wires so they’re permanently on and feeding the smart switch, but haven’t a notion how it all fits together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back