Home improvement (1 Viewer)

I see some horrendous stuff in my job. I'm looking at some carpentry here that looks like it was done by a a drunken blind man.

A word of advice .. the cheapest tradesman is probably the wrong one

I see some horrendous stuff in my job. I'm looking at some carpentry here that looks like it was done by a a drunken blind man.

A word of advice .. the cheapest tradesman is probably the wrong one

yeah, I found that to my cost with the characters who did work on our house before we moved in:

- an electrician who walked away from a house that wasn't earthed properly (or at all)
- a plumber who used the wrong fittings, leading to leaks all over the place.

yeah, I found that to my cost with the characters who did work on our house before we moved in:

- an electrician who walked away from a house that wasn't earthed properly (or at all)
- a plumber who used the wrong fittings, leading to leaks all over the place.
We had a bad plumber install a new boiler.
Just had the whole lot redone again 18months later.

The chap who did the skirtings in this sitting room I'm painting didn't mitre them. I've never seen anything like it

what are you getting done?
I have a garage and utility space at the side of the house that I'm getting renovated. Turning the garage into an office and want to insulate and tile the utility space. Renovating the main bathroom and getting the kitchen gutted in preparation for a new kitchen coming in december.

then some other cosmetic stuff around the outside of the house too.

I have a garage and utility space at the side of the house that I'm getting renovated. Turning the garage into an office and want to insulate and tile the utility space. Renovating the main bathroom and getting the kitchen gutted in preparation for a new kitchen coming in december.

then some other cosmetic stuff around the outside of the house too.

You would be amazed at how badly/dangerously anyone of those jobs could be done.

I want to install some smart (zigbee) TRV jobbies on my radiators that currently don't have TRVs. On a scale of 1 to GAMI, what are we talking difficulty/risk of flooding the house-wise?

If you need to replace the valves, you're looking at draining the system I think? Unless your existing valves are compatible with those ZigBee ones. Then you'd need to refill with inhibitor etc.

Just had a hour long powercut here with the lightning, which makes my immediate reaction to be install the dumb valves instead, they are electricity proof.

Just had a hour long powercut here with the lightning, which makes my immediate reaction to be install the dumb valves instead, they are electricity proof.
the TRVs are battery powered but i don't think the gas boiler would work without electricity anyway

which reminds me i still need to wire a backup power socket up to the battery in the attic

If you need to replace the valves, you're looking at draining the system I think? Unless your existing valves are compatible with those ZigBee ones. Then you'd need to refill with inhibitor etc.
yeah that's the problem - if we had normal TRVs already i'd probably be up for swapping them out, but i don't know what's involved in putting in TRVs in the first place

TO YOUTUBE!

the TRVs are battery powered but i don't think the gas boiler would work without electricity anyway

which reminds me i still need to wire a backup power socket up to the battery in the attic
My thought was that they'd keep balancing the residual heat load while the power was out, but I don't know anything about the battery ones. Batteries do have a shelf life though. Not an area of expertise for me.

My thought was that they'd keep balancing the residual heat load while the power was out, but I don't know anything about the battery ones. Batteries do have a shelf life though. Not an area of expertise for me.
what i want them for is to do the normal(?) trv thing of turning the radiator on and off to maintain a set temperature, but also to turn off the radiator if the room is empty for X minutes / turning back on if motion is detected (I've motion sensors in every room), or if a specified minimum temperature is reached.

yeah that's the problem - if we had normal TRVs already i'd probably be up for swapping them out, but i don't know what's involved in putting in TRVs in the first place

TO YOUTUBE!
we have a honeywell system here - wireless TRVs talking to a central controller. it's dead handy - you can set all sorts of schedules and thresholds for each room.
right now, because the lads are still working here (they're finishing the wiring in the kitchen) with loads of doors open, i'm sitting at my desk with just the rad in this room on, using the manual override on the TRV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back