Home improvement (1 Viewer)

Was that how long it takes or was a first time doing it lap time?
Asking for a *friend who might have to do this over xmas

*me
Well that included going up to powercity to buy one that looked similar.

If you can get the same one you're taking down.. half an hour.

If not .. not.

Its like putting up curtain poles, The obstacles are invisible until they are upon you

Spent my day moving shelves between walls and putting up new ones. Involved much measuring tape, spirit level, laser, and drill action. Also put up some pegboards for hanging nerf guns on (note:not for me). Almost took out Avengers Tower when I dropped a screwdriver. Lucky.

When I was finished for the day I decided to clear out the ol’ toolbox so there’d only be actual tools in it and not stacks of “oh I should keep that just in case” stuff. That was a mistake.

trying to figure out how to tidy this up - stripped the wallpaper years ago and found that the plasterboard on several corners in the house is just butt jointed up against some strips of timber. obviously they never planned for anything other than wallpaper.

View attachment 17842

Could you put some corner bead on that and mud a new corner in?

Trim it on one side so it's flush as can be with teh existing plasterboard and then mud it down to meet the door frame there on the other side

trying to figure out how to tidy this up - stripped the wallpaper years ago and found that the plasterboard on several corners in the house is just butt jointed up against some strips of timber. obviously they never planned for anything other than wallpaper.

View attachment 17842
Round it out - nice lil curved edge

why the fuck do paint manufacturers sell water based paints in steel tins, which rust shut if you don't use the paint up within a month or two?

why the fuck do paint manufacturers sell water based paints in steel tins, which rust shut if you don't use the paint up within a month or two?

My experience is that it's the ambient moisture in the air that rusts the lids.
This shouldn't happen with paint stored indoors in conditioned space.
And it certainly shouldn't happen within a few months.

A good tip is to store your paint upside down.
Don't close the lid with your hand, put a rag on top and force it close with your foot.

i have tins of oil paint which are 7 or 8 years old which are fine, stored in the garage alongside the oil based ones.
Respectfully, that paint is likely not fine after that many freeze/thaw cycles.

But just sharing my experience as a painter. I have never been in your garage.

It's not the freezing solid of the paints, it's more the extremes of temps and the effect that has on the composition of the paint. But honestly, I am not a chemistry scientist. It's just how we were trained.
I was a professional painter for a very long time and it was always best practice to store all paint in conditioned space.
You've all seen what happens to paint on walls and trim in houses that have been left without heating; it breaks down and falls off. I wouldn't want to subject any paint to that, whether in a can or not.

But I honestly have no idea what happens to oil-based paint if you leave it in a garage through winters and summers, cos I've honestly never done it and never would.
It might be perfectly fine!

And I shouldn't have stepped on Bastard's complaint.
Just because I'm an oddball that cares about how paint is stored properly.
A rusty, stuck paint is a frustrating and valid paint moan for anyone to have.

It's not the freezing solid of the paints, it's more the extremes of temps and the effect that has on the composition of the paint. But honestly, I am not a chemistry scientist. It's just how we were trained.
I was a professional painter for a very long time and it was always best practice to store all paint in conditioned space.
You've all seen what happens to paint on walls and trim in houses that have been left without heating; it breaks down and falls off. I wouldn't want to subject any paint to that, whether in a can or not.

But I honestly have no idea what happens to oil-based paint if you leave it in a garage through winters and summers, cos I've honestly never done it and never would.
It might be perfectly fine!

And I shouldn't have stepped on Bastard's complaint.
Just because I'm an oddball that cares about how paint is stored properly.
A rusty, stuck paint is a frustrating and valid paint moan for anyone to have.
You’re not wrong, but water based paints are the ones that can break down with freezing but as @ann post says, a lot of agitation can bring it back. The volumes are much smaller but I’ve brought hobby/artist’s paints back from being solid with a bit of elbow grease and adding some medium.

Also, once you have something on a wall, it’s a different kettle of fish compared to being sealed in a tin or tub. You have rain, damp, mould, sunlight, expansion and contraction of surfaces, etc. which aren’t going to be conducive to staying on a surface.

I love paint.

ever smelled gone off emulsion? bad eggy sulphurous smell. was just talking about this with a friend last night - he got 'recycled' paint from the rediscovery centre in ballymun (which we'd been planning on doing) and his house stank for several days after.

anyway, those plastic oval soup containers which first appeared in the shops 5+ years ago are fine for decanting paint into when they come in steel cans which you're not going to finish first time out.

ever smelled gone off emulsion? bad eggy sulphurous smell. was just talking about this with a friend last night - he got 'recycled' paint from the rediscovery centre in ballymun (which we'd been planning on doing) and his house stank for several days after.
No, thankfully. Didn’t know you could get recycled paint to buy.

AFAIK they take in leftover paint from the trades, i'd assumed it'd be fairly fresh but maybe shay got bad batch. you should be able to smell it before you try to use it though.

one other issue i have with the move to water based rather than oil based gloss or satin paint is that it's much harder to use them without visible brushstrokes. i may water down the paint slightly to help it flow better.

because i'm a fucking lunatic, i am stripping all the doors, taking them off their hinges, repainting them, and rehanging them. but i must say i do like the way not having a door on a room makes it look bigger and airier. who needs doors?

All I know is it’s also a bathroom mirror.

I had wanted to rip out the gas boiler and all the existing radiators in a year or two and put those panels in everywhere instead but then we needed to replace the (25 year old) boiler at short notice so that plans been shelved for a while.

Edit. This one I think. I didn’t order it myself

Finally installed this yesterday. Finally got it working today, after reading the manual. Will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back