HOLOCAUST DENIER TO SPEAK IN NUIG!! (1 Viewer)

The reason why he's such a great draw for debates in Ireland is the protests and
publicity that come with him. Just by inviting him, the college society will have
created a new debate on censorship and free speech that will enter a more public
domain than if a debate against Irving went unchallenged. It could be argued that
this is a good thing, but it has become boring and repetitive.

I believe that the furore kicked up every time Irving's name pops up does more to
spread his ideas than if he were to simply be debated and verbally pumelled each and
every time. His ideas make him an oddity in the eyes of any sane person, but
demonising him to the point that his very presence in our country frightens people
gives him a power he never would have earned had he always been allowed to debate
and lose. People wouldn't be interested in seeing him if this happened annually!
Instead, because he has been disallowed from speaking more and more people have
become interested. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; the more you try to ban a thought
the more powerful it becomes.

But freedom of speech/censorship is different to having the cunt speaking at your university! They won't let me talk there, doesn't mean I'm being censored or that my freedoms are encroached upon. I can stand in the street and blame the Jews for the death of the celtic tiger but an institution has the right to choose who can talk under their aegis. Kenn's point is important, the people who invited and will bankroll the cunt deserve opprobrium.

As far as I know there's just a debate on whether he should be invited; he hasn't
been yet. Were he to be invited and then the debate cancelled close to the date he
would get his expenses paid for sitting on his arse. The least you could do is make
him work for his money! I don't get what you mean by using yourself as an example
of someone who also hasn't been invited to debate, though.

I only mean in the sense that when people use the term freedom of speech it is a misnomer when referring to an institution hosting someone. One doesn't have the freedom of speech to talk to Dáil Eireann but can picket it etc. That's all I meant by it. Alot of people don't seem to understand what freedom of speech entails. I'm allowed be a crank on the street but RTÉ doesn't have to show my rants. They aren't limiting the freedom of my speech by doing this.

Not another nazi thread!

I thought we put this shite to bed people?!

After the Monkey jokes ion the Obama campaign.!?

I know I learned me le4sson.

When Joe Duffy cuts me off for spreading my explosive political manifesto
during a call-in show about how it hasn't snowed in Dublin properly for ages,
it's not a freedom of speech issue - it's a relevancy issue. When people try to
stop another person from speaking publicly because they disagree with them -
it's a freedom of speech issue. When this declaration comes from a society in
an educational institution created to share, formulate and manifest ideas only
serves to make the irony more delicious.

Nazis, moderators and tags, they're the dark underbelly of Eirecore.

When people try to
stop another person from speaking because they disagree with them it's a
freedom of speech issue.

Speaking where though? Trying to stop him speaking at a publicly funded institution and getting paid for it isn't the same as stopping him rant in a more public space or stopping him publish his drivel online.

Speaking where though? Trying to stop him speaking at a publicly funded institution and getting paid for it isn't the same as stopping him rant in a more public space or stopping him publish his drivel online.
It's not like randomers are chipping in to get him to make a speech in the
canteen. It is up to the debating society to decide who will be their guest
speakers and to decide how to spend the money they are given annually.
Do you think that non-members of the debating society should decide who
the members should and should not debate? I think it's fair enough if you
have an interest in the society itself, but otherwise it shouldnt be a concern.

The reason why he's such a great draw for debates in Ireland is the protests and
publicity that come with him. Just by inviting him, the college society will have
created a new debate on censorship and free speech that will enter a more public
domain than if a debate against Irving went unchallenged. It could be argued that
this is a good thing, but it has become boring and repetitive.

I believe that the furore kicked up every time Irving's name pops up does more to
spread his ideas than if he were to simply be debated and verbally pumelled each and
every time. His ideas make him an oddity in the eyes of any sane person, but
demonising him to the point that his very presence in our country frightens people
gives him a power he never would have earned had he always been allowed to debate
and lose. People wouldn't be interested in seeing him if this happened annually!
Instead, because he has been disallowed from speaking more and more people have
become interested. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; the more you try to ban a thought
the more powerful it becomes

Just like fucking teenagers!.|..|

I only mean in the sense that when people use the term freedom of speech it is a misnomer when referring to an institution hosting someone. One doesn't have the freedom of speech to talk to Dáil Eireann but can picket it etc. That's all I meant by it. Alot of people don't seem to understand what freedom of speech entails. I'm allowed be a crank on the street but RTÉ doesn't have to show my rants. They aren't limiting the freedom of my speech by doing this.

They are limiting the freedom of the society that's inviting him though.

I wonder have any of these gobshites been to one of the concentration camps, and for that matter also have any of yous been to one?

I went to Dachau 2 years ago. It was the first one opened in Germany. 10 miles north-west of Munich.

Ah I heard that visiting those places changes you some way or another. Me and the lads were toying for a while with the idea of going to Poland to visit Auschwitz; only ever went to the biggest one in Italy that in comparison to the Polish and German ones is relatively tiny, but still shocking.
That is how universities, colleges and related societies should spend money: get students to see those places to even just have an idea and a feel of what those places were and the feeling of death you feel all around, not inviting a scumbag like Irving and paying all his expenses.

I'd be inclined to agree with Bob. A free trip to Auschwitz for every member of the
Auschwitz Society in NUI would be a much better idea than a stupid debating society. It
might need a good bit of funding, though. You can't put a price on the chilling sensation
of death, so it'll be worth it.

have any of yous been to one?

I went to Dachau 2 years ago..
I have too, about 8 years ago myself and Doyler went.I've stood in a gas chamber while someone explained to me how it worked.It was horrific. What's your point? Like do you want a fucking medal or something? Are you more informed or right on than folks here who haven't been because you went? Do you seriously think these neo-nazi folks don't go to concentration camps as sightseeing trips?Because I've been there and was horrified to see the reality of it up close, should I feel ashamed of the fact that I don't feel the urge to smash David Irving's face in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back