Holiday book (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
The Algebraist or Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks (sci-fi). First one for more fun, the second for more head-melt (but not too much head-melt - none of yer time travel or multiverses or any of that shite)

Happiness by Niall Williams. A fucking delightful part coming-of-age part-older-person-romance thing, with trad music, set in Co. Clare

The Happy Return by C.S. Forester (or any of the books in that series). Rip-roaring adventures on the high seas, I listened to a bunch of these on audiobook and they were fucking class

Also if you've never read Catch-22 it's probably my favourite book ever. That and Slaughterhouse 5

Oh and The Once and Future King is a great big doorstopper of a thing, a good bet if you're stuck with nothing to do. It's the King Arthur story. The first section of it is essentially a (very good) kids book, and the last section of it is a bit shit, but the rest of it is amazing

The Algebraist or Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks (sci-fi). First one for more fun, the second for more head-melt (but not too much head-melt - none of yer time travel or multiverses or any of that shite)

Happiness by Niall Williams. A fucking delightful part coming-of-age part-older-person-romance thing, with trad music, set in Co. Clare

The Happy Return by C.S. Forester (or any of the books in that series). Rip-roaring adventures on the high seas, I listened to a bunch of these on audiobook and they were fucking class

Also if you've never read Catch-22 it's probably my favourite book ever. That and Slaughterhouse 5

Oh and The Once and Future King is a great big doorstopper of a thing, a good bet if you're stuck with nothing to do. It's the King Arthur story. The first section of it is essentially a (very good) kids book, and the last section of it is a bit shit, but the rest of it is amazing
Excellent recommendations . I've read a few of these ..well The banks and Vonnegut and catch 22

Thin Air by Richard Morgan is a good sci-fi one. Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds is fairly hefty and good (bit like the Rama books by Clarke though). Rejoice - A Knife To The Heart by Steven Erikson is good craic, utopian near-future sci-fi that Banks would have liked.

I'm about halfway through this

(Pete Paphides' memoir)

I have to admit to knowing almost nothing about him before reading it, but the book itself is a hoot. He'd be of our vintage so a lot of his recollections from his childhood will strike a chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back