Hellworld Thread (1 Viewer)

I know I'm weeks behind on this, but it kind of was a pogrom

The Holocaust was its own thing, but if you go through a town trying to kill every Jew you see, there's a word for that

Do you think anti-Semitism in Ireland exists as something distinct from generalized xenophobia/racism? I have literally never come across it
In contemporary Ireland, I wouldn't say I've personally witnessed it much but I'd imagine some of the conspiracy people will have opinions on Soros, cultural Marxism and global banking conspiracies.

Just a little bit of it is fine?
No certainly not. Historically (pre-Israel 1948 - era of nearly all anti-Semitism you cited) Ireland was one of the least anti-Semitic countries in Europe although this could well be because few Jews lived in Ireland.
I was aware of all the things you mentioned.

Ah yeah sorry that came across a bit harsh ... I suppose what I'm getting at is if someone who believes 5G is part of a global conspiracy is also anti-Semitic it seems different to me. They probably also hate travellers and Ukrainians and Muslims and the EU and vegetarians etc etc. If I was Jewish I think I'd find that kind of diffuse hatred a lot less worrying than the more specific kind, and I'm not convinced the more specific kind is really a thing here - though obviously it's very hard to tell

Ah yeah sorry that came across a bit harsh ... I suppose what I'm getting at is if someone who believes 5G is part of a global conspiracy is also anti-Semitic it seems different to me. They probably also hate travellers and Ukrainians and Muslims and the EU and vegetarians etc etc. If I was Jewish I think I'd find that kind of diffuse hatred a lot less worrying than the more specific kind, and I'm not convinced the more specific kind is really a thing here - though obviously it's very hard to tell
I don’t think it’s any less frightening just because they’re the lunatic fringe. There is enough of a groundswell behind those conspiracy types that I think it’s a growing concern that they will boil over into more violence or even a push towards a populist government who might put any small group in the firing line.

De Valera offering some condolence to Germany after the war and the Blueshirts are probably about as close as we got to fully blown fascism here which is kind of harmless in comparison to other countries.
I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to imagine a different version of Irish nationalism in the early part of the last centaury which was opposed to an ethnic or religious minority within Ireland and became violent but instead we had a sort of anti colonial version against foreign power or a even social class.

My grandfathers family in Belfast were Jewish, and still managed to be quite senior in the IRA, but that was 1940s-1970s and he had a lot of guns, so there’s no way they wouldn’t have wanted him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back