Hellworld Thread (1 Viewer)

I thought it all changed with the Second Vatican Council?

Anyway I never heard any anti semitism growing up. Actually, I did, but that was more slagging off the one Jewish kid in school. It was slagging off a difference, rather than any conspiratorial type of thing. Nobody actually knew any Jewish tropes.

compared to what I have heard in hushed tones over here, from many varied people, it doesn't compare with Ireland at all. "Well, you know what they're like",, etc.

There was a lad in school who used to call me "jew" from time to time because of my big nose. I don't think he really had any clue what a Jew was but our teacher told us that they have big hooky noses. He used to call me "lamp post" too because I was tall, the little stump

Only proper consistent anti semitism I encountered in Ireland came from a) one acquaintance of an acquaintance who was a self identified Nazi and b) one lad from Terenure (where there is/was a Jewish community)

“Don’t be a Jew” was standard for “don’t be mean with sharing your sweets” or whatever when I was in school. Nobody really gave it much thought but it had to have come from *somewhere*.

“Don’t be a Jew” was standard for “don’t be mean with sharing your sweets” or whatever when I was in school. Nobody really gave it much thought but it had to have come from *somewhere*.
I used to like the phrase "jewed down" - as in "He wanted €50 but I jewed him down to thirty"
But abandoned it a long time ago, obviously.
I miss it though. I kind of think of it having more to do with being good in the art of negotiation. But it does not sound good anymore.
I suspect I would use this phrase heavily if I were actually of the tribe, and got a pass on it.

I love Yiddish words. Love saying stuff is verkakte or I got bupkis or being sick of someone's shtick, or having a good kvetch. Super language.
Yes, some of my best friends are Jewish words.

My father in law was once giving out about a vet in the local practice (who was absolutely fine) and made reference to her being 'a Jewess' but neglected to explain quite who that aspect was an issue.

Our next-door neighbours when I was growing up were Jews, but I never learned anything about that. They kept to themselves. I don't ever remember meeting either of the neighbours from either side of us when I was growing up, but there were big hedges separating the properties.
The part of Belfast I'm from is where most of the Jewish community in Belfast probably is, as the synagogue was about 15 minutes walk away - it's also where Chaim Herzog's family lived in Belfast. But we never heard anything about the Jews, it's almost as if there was some other religious thing people preferred to be distracted by or something.

I'm sure she feels genuinely under attack but writing out Eve Fartlow as an example of the left's genocidal Jew hate is pretty funny

Whoever gave her the name went in too soft on her.

Shartlow.

This is the woman who tweeted about a friend of her's being triggered a couple of years ago because she misread a "Free Parking" sign for "Free Palestine."

"and on that day a new hero was born - Fartlow"

Captain Marvel GIF by Marvel Studios

[constant fart noises]

Also, have zero idea who this person actually is

get a metal water bottle and use a tap.
are there many public places where water bottles can be refilled though?
most toilets are in places that expect you to buy something first. I have to go to a bar or fast food joint and buy a drink in Dublin just so I can use a toilet!!!

I am expected to carry a bottle around all the time while other drinks are routinely served out of paper cups, cups and glasses? unless I buy something else in the latter case.

If I buy a plastic bottle of water and I do have a bag I will hold onto the bottle and use it many times.
But with no bag what am I supposed to do?

when I go to a gig it usually involves being away from home for 13+ hours, I cannot feasibly bring a metal bottle into a gig. I avoid drinking at gigs because of the travelling involved to get home.
I don't drink alcohol. It's 5 pm and today I have only drank water - not unusual.

It ain't that simple unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back