Headline band not providing backline (2 Viewers)

you have a point, but i guess its personal. I used to enjoy plugging into different headlining bands' bass amps as they were always better than mine and I'd get various different concoctions of awesomeness that could never be repeated on my shitty amp. .

i'm sure the other bands were also delighted by this!

And who pays when the amp gets broken by someone borrowing it? I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.
Also,when a band is on tour,having to rely on equipment night after night,how come some people don't understand that it may make sense to bring an amp so they don't have to use the headliners amp?
Or,what if the headline band conveniently forgot to bring amps?
Or howabout bands who are repeatedly told to bring an amp and then on the night say they don't own one? Is it not possible to share this information after the first time it's suggested? Definately bands not owning equipment,and therfore showing they don't give a shit about how they sound is a big reason why a lot of bands in ireland plain suck. And there's a lot of them.
I'm with Dudley all the way on this one,Andy has some great points too.

i'm sure the other bands were also delighted by this!

they were delighted by the sheer wizardry of my bass playing everytime, oh yes.

gary, you are dead right. in truth, i loaned out my amp way more then using other peoples, and it burnt out my others turning it up to 11, not me.

Or howabout bands who are repeatedly told to bring an amp and then on the night say they don't own one? Is it not possible to share this information after the first time it's suggested?

That's gotta be the worst thing.

Definately bands not owning equipment,and therfore showing they don't give a shit about how they sound is a big reason why a lot of bands in ireland plain suck. And there's a lot of them.

Tis true, also. Not that I can speak.

I mean,I know it takes a while to afford an amp and even to figure out what you want. But until then,at least have the decency to sort out equipment for yourself and it shouldn't be left to the promoter,have they not done enough in organising the gig?

if the band (headline or support) get a guarantee then definately they should bring backline. if it's a case of 'we usually try give each band a few quid' then let the promoter sort it out.

which brings me nicely to .....

in dublin, if your band expects to get paid for gigs are they labeled absolute scabby bastards by the people putting on the shows?
should a band be thrilled to play a gig for little or next to nothing?
is 'the exposure' really good enough to live on these days?

are there any similar threads on here?

if the band (headline or support) get a guarantee then definately they should bring backline. if it's a case of 'we usually try give each band a few quid' then let the promoter sort it out.

which brings me nicely to .....

in dublin, if your band expects to get paid for gigs are they labeled absolute scabby bastards by the people putting on the shows?
should a band be thrilled to play a gig for little or next to nothing?
is 'the exposure' really good enough to live on these days?

are there any similar threads on here?

Regardless of a headline band being on a guarantee,if a local band borrows equipment ,breaks it,and then potentially fucks up the next gig or two for the band,does the local band pay the guarantee for the missed gigs and also the price of repair?

Regardless of a headline band being on a guarantee,if a local band borrows equipment ,breaks it,and then potentially fucks up the next gig or two for the band,does the local band pay the guarantee for the missed gigs and also the price of repair?

yes. definately.

though.. a promoter should bring backline (at least some of it) if they can't guarantee the bands $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s at the end of the night. after all, the band are supposed to be artists after all. after all. after eights.

One the best ones ever was when a guy in a band I'm in loaned his amp to another guy who didn't know how to use a standby switch so there was no guitar for their first song.

They were cool about it but some people in the crowd were saying we sabbotaged their sound hahahaha.
Guy used my amp after me at a gig once and never figured out that the distortion was still on. Plugged his guitar in through a distortion pedal and kept switching from amp distortion to amp distortion+pedal distortion. Went up once or twice to try and explain the amp distortion was on and he kept saying "no, it's ok, i have my pedal". Came up to me after the gig and said "your amp sounds pretty shit for a marshall".

Guy used my amp after me at a gig once and never figured out that the distortion was still on. Plugged his guitar in through a distortion pedal and kept switching from amp distortion to amp distortion+pedal distortion. Went up once or twice to try and explain the amp distortion was on and he kept saying "no, it's ok, i have my pedal". Came up to me after the gig and said "your amp sounds pretty shit for a marshall".

Was he deaf?

The bigger problem is promoters not having a clue what they are doing.

We got a call last night saying "can you bring a bass amp and a drum kit?"! This was for a gig that had been booked months ago. We got there tonight and all of the other bands (decent blokes to a man) were all standing around going "we were told we didn't have to bring anything". The "promoter" arrived half an hour before the gig was supposed to start and started playing CD's over the PA while we were soundchecking.

Some people are in love with the idea of being a promoter but don't want to do anything resembling hard work.

My advice: if you are asked to do a "Pandamonium" gig in the Hub, politely decline. The worst organised gig I've ever been involved in.

The guy doing sound was a trooper though.

actually one further point...(and hit me if this comes across as stupid or shortsighted),
i know amps are expensive, etc..., but surely if you're in the position of headlining a gig, then you've (kind of) been around long enough to amass some sort of gear
...or am i reading into that completely wrong..?
seriously...

:confused:
- leigh

actually one further point...(and hit me if this comes across as stupid or shortsighted),
i know amps are expensive, etc..., but surely if you're in the position of headlining a gig, then you've (kind of) been around long enough to amass some sort of gear
...or am i reading into that completely wrong..?
seriously...

:confused:
- leigh

Maybe but the point(I think) is to make sure its sorted out beforehand, especially if you're borrowing stuff ie don'y turn up expecting to be provided for whether you be headline or support.

Touring bands however shouldn't have to share with the support as they need the gear for the next few nights/weeks so can't really risk some idiot breaking their gear, if you turn up expecting to use the headlines gear without having checked it out beforehand you're an idiot.

Maybe but the point(I think) is to make sure its sorted out beforehand, especially if you're borrowing stuff ie don'y turn up expecting to be provided for whether you be headline or support.

Touring bands however shouldn't have to share with the support as they need the gear for the next few nights/weeks so can't really risk some idiot breaking their gear, if you turn up expecting to use the headlines gear without having checked it out beforehand you're an idiot.

yeah, i know - just wondering
with me not being in the position of using amps, i've never been quite sure

yeah, i know - just wondering
with me not being in the position of using amps, i've never been quite sure

Ok to answer your question I reckon most headline bands would have amassed better gear alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back