have you learnt to play an instrument as an adult? (1 Viewer)

I was going to have a go at the violin last year, then I shattered a finger, so that was out. My mum gave me a wooden flute for Chrimbo, but what with the wonky finger and all, I can barely hold it when trying for some notes. Mostly, I'm avoiding any kind of practice - if only there were some way to control Grand Theft Auto with it....

yeah, i started playing guitar again about five months ago, hadn't picked it up in years so i decided to take it into work with me everyday and practiced for an hour and a half.
i'm now way better than i ever was before and i think it's all down to focused practice
so yeah, it doesn't matter what age you are at all i think

all the posts seem to be from muso's who are talking about learning a new instrument in addition to the one they already play which is a totally different thing.if you have the same dedication as a 12 year old kid who is completely obsessed with their instrument youll be fine if not, you'd be better off becoming a musical equipment horder like most people who cant play worth a dam but dont want to give up.

all the posts seem to be from muso's who are talking about learning a new instrument in addition to the one they already play which is a totally different thing.

'cept Stan, I can vouch for him, boy didn't know his frets from his fingerboard a couple of months ago, and he's aces now

two friends of mine (both girls no less) started guitar in their twentys and are both coming on really really well, much quicker then I ever did in my teens

instruments I half-taught myself:
mandolin
banjo
tin whistle

instruments I can mess around with to some end:
piano
melodica

instruments I tried to learn but were too hard:
violin
drums

only instrument I can actually play:
guitar

oh and bass....but that's kind of a guitar anyway

so....learn something semi-easy like banjo or mandolin. Harp, I would imagine, is quite hard. But if you were serious about it, it would be worth it. The harp is "kool" now, thanks to that "kool" guy in the Jameson ad.

Some people are completely non-musical though. I have a friend who is very intelligent in every way except musically - he can't get the rhythm of a tune, and he can't understand how something can be in a key (I mean he can logically understand it - just his "musical ear" can't)

You can actually do ear tests to see how musical your musical ear is, I think.

but I've never played an instrument, apart from fluting around on a little honda keyboard when I was a kid

f61024p0pkv.jpg

violin is a tough1 one though..... i heard takes about 5 years to get the hang of..... and thats w/ focused practice......

I cant play geetaur. I was gifted a tiny one after nipper was born, but never really took the time with it. Taught myself bad piano, which i'm really good at, but would love to play the fiddle. tin whistles , harmonicas and the like are pretty simple once you get the scales. I had a girlfriend that played the trumpet. Let the entendres commence.

Rogue drew frets on to his violin to help him get the right spot but his one was purple and he played it on his knee as if it was a cello. he probably plays his cello on his shoulder

he does;) he was stickin the violin through a million fx on his laptop too and that was balanced on his head!

bollox, I was thinking about buying one
the idea of just knowing by feel where the notes are, rather then using frets, is sort of scary...

I've been playing violin since I was a nipper and I still can't get the hang of it.
It's an amazing feeling when you do play a load of shit in tune though. You get this celestial ringing in your head (as opposed to hearing banging from below or above telling you to shut the fuck up with the swinging cats) and you feel all special.

I think with a lot of instruments once you play one you can pick up most similar ones, actually doing something fluid or articulate with them is another thing altogether. Who cares but, it's all about the buzz. Playing instruments is in my top three buzzes of all time.

I've been playing violin since I was a nipper and I still can't get the hang of it.
It's an amazing feeling when you do play a load of shit in tune though. You get this celestial ringing in your head (as opposed to hearing banging from below or above telling you to shut the fuck up with the swinging cats) and you feel all special.

I think with a lot of instruments once you play one you can pick up most similar ones, actually doing something fluid or articulate with them is another thing altogether. Who cares but, it's all about the buzz. Playing instruments is in my top three buzzes of all time.

do you give lessons or have any recommendations for teachers? someone was telling me the other night i ought to get lessons so that i start off doing the holding and bowing etc properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back