have you learnt to play an instrument as an adult? (3 Viewers)

Im 'learning' to play keyboards.
I wouldnt even use the term 'piano' as I reckon your really setting yerself up for a fall.
I can play a few simple tunes but really think I could do with some proper lesson.
I just reckon they would all start trying to make you take exams ect. for each individual grade which is not what Im after at all.
Just wanna know how to play it for enjoyments sake not for a peice of paper.

do you give lessons or have any recommendations for teachers? someone was telling me the other night i ought to get lessons so that i start off doing the holding and bowing etc properly.

I played traditional for 7 years and then went to play classical for a while and found some of the bad posture/holding habits I'd developed really hard to break. If I hadn't tried to play classical I woudn't have noticed though. I don't really know much about teachers and shit but lessons do tend to be quite expensive. I found an awesome teacher in Waltons and left the school when she left. Don't think she teaches privately anymore.

Sociable Music Skillz group anyone? I'd like to learn to play the drums and the cello please.

im teaching myself to program this f****r right now.......

yowza

panel1.jpg
panel2.jpg

im trying to get to a point where i can think (or copy heheheh) any sound that comes in to my head. for no more flukes......

you're more of a mentaller than me.
every flute lesson i went to i found it embarrassing because my instructor was shit hot and there was alot of sexual in-your-end-os and also that she was my 'flute instructor'.
she was so hot my dad made a comment. tough times.

We should've swapped flute teachers so. Mine was in her early 80s, called Doris. I dont think you would've had any problems, yknow?

Sociable Music Skillz group anyone?

ha ha ha

I bloody love getting a smoke on and disscussing chord stucture and stuff

"like it's an A Major *strums chord* and it, like sounds all strong and forceful, but, like, you flatten the third... *strums chord* and suddenly... it's... so.... sad.... like..."

the whole thing is just mental, isn't it?

I played guitar for about ten years before i got lessons. there's an awful lot you can teach yourself. Learning how to play an instrument was the best thing I ever did in my life (apart from getting hitched of course).

Learning how to play an instrument was the best thing I ever did in my life (apart from getting hitched of course).

I don't know what people who don't play instruments do with their free time to be honest, have happy long term relationships, take holidays and advance their careers I imagine.... poor bastards...

I don't know what people who don't play instruments do with their free time to be honest, have happy long term relationships, take holidays and advance their careers I imagine.... poor bastards...

I think it's the other way 'round: a person's relationships falls apart and naturally, some would say heroically, they learn the chords for 'Monster Mash'.

There's a broken trumpet in my attic. I was thinking of getting it fixed and trying but its so completely alien to all the other instruments I can play. Its disappointing to hear its so difficult.

I taught myself drums a couple of years ago but thats not like what I usually associate with "practice" because playing the drums is so damn fun. And once you realise one thing, you learn another little bit, try to copy bits from songs, etc... I've tried to learn other things but I've never ever gotten the hang of the harmonica... I mean obviously you can just breath in and out and it sounds alright as long as you're using the right one but generally I can't fucking fathom it for anything specific.

I played the cello for a few weeks when I was 12. The basics didn't seem too hard at all.

Being left-handed/small-handed makes no difference whatsoever in terms of guitar, just need to get callouses and remember to practice both hands rather than just the fingering hand.

I really want to learn how to, but I'm not one for learning if I know i'll never be any use at it. Do you have to learn this kind of thing when you're young? Is there any hope that I could become deadly at an instrument at my age?

I can learn most things pretty ok technically speaking, but I've never played an instrument, apart from fluting around on a little honda keyboard when I was a kid.

It seems to me that you have to learn music stuff early. Like at five or something. Also I'm left handed and have very small hands.

I want to play a banjo or a guitar or a harp. Can people teach you if you're left-handed?

i know he won't post about it himself, so: mr. le cookiemonster started playing the drums about a year and a half ago, and is now competant and sounding interesting.

thing is, he loves them and practises lots, and i realise now that this is the difference between him and my abortive attempts to learn instruments - being really really into it, and playing lots.

i very nearly took up banjo last year and am still tempted but have too much else going on right now. also, i spent a few years trying to learn (classical) guitar and found my short fingers made it a bit awkward and painful, but maybe i'm a wuss/your little hands would be fine.

I didn't pick up guitar until I was 22. I've also never had any lessons(yeah,yeah,it shows) and it was a long time untill I started asking mates how to do stuff on guitar. I had been in bands before but I''d been playing drums.
It's never too late if you really want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back