Hail, Caesar! - for whiter than white whites (3 Viewers)

They're racists? They're auteurs that grew up in a white Jewish Russian suburb in white Minnesota and their milieu informs their oeuvre?
The Coens thought about it and don't feel they can authentically voice people of colour? Wes Anderson includes POCs and gets called out on his racism. Do we want tokenism from the Coens? Black-friendism?
Can the Coens accurately even speak to the black experience in any authentic way? Do we want them to?
I honestly have no idea tbh

haha i didn't say they were racists I said they rarely, if ever, cast anyone who isn't white in their films.

Just for context, more people saw the last Vin Diesel movie than saw all of the Coen movies combined, ever.
They are not mainstream filmmakers. They only matter to people that subscribe to the New Yorker and/or like their coffee just so.

Maybe no one goes to see them because they speak to no one in America except a couple of rich white guys.

BTW did you just equate a Vin Diesel film with their films in terms of race? Vin Diesel is to African American people as the Coen Brothers is to White American people?

And as far not mainstream. Please see the following list of Academy Awards this apparently obscure duo has been nominated for and also won:

List of awards and nominations received by Coen brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

haha i didn't say they were racists I said they rarely, if ever, cast anyone who isn't white in their films.
No one's calling anyone racist. I gave you a list of possible answers to your question as to what the 'actual deal' is with their casting

I don't know the actual answer. It's unknowable for the most part. I still don't know what your concern is. Nor what the remedy is.

BTW did you just equate a Vin Diesel film with their films in terms of race? Vin Diesel is to African American people as the Coen Brothers is to White American people?
I was talking about Furious 7. The Fast & Furious films as well as being terrific entertainment are as diverse in their casting as they are in their directing.
They're an example of what people want to see at the movies and how mainstream cinema can cater to the population at large.
The F&F films matter in that way, the Coens don't and never have.

I gave you a list of possible answers to your question as to what the 'actual deal' is with their casting

I don't know the actual answer. I still don't know what your concern is.

Ok, my concern is that the original article was posted and everyone decided to have a good old sneer at it and shout it down instead of thinking that maybe it has a point. Everything doesn't have to be all one thing; Coen Brothers can be questioned on their all-white cast and still be seen to be making good films.

The Oscars are for movies that people don't see on a telecast that no one watches. They're Michelin stars.
The Academy is very white. Probably quite Jewish.

Is there a point coming at all or just more Wikipedia links?
I apologise for presenting my points with evidence rather than half-baked thoughts backed up only by my own machismo.

Ok, my concern is that the original article was posted and everyone decided to have a good old sneer at it and shout it down instead of thinking that maybe it has a point. Everything doesn't have to be all one thing; Coen Brothers can be questioned on their all-white cast and still be seen to be making good films.
I read that article three times looking for an actual point.The original piece was empty of everything except sneer.

No one's thinking except you? I thought about it plenty. Come on, man.

I read that article three times looking for an actual point.The original piece was empty of everything except sneer.
ah fair point.

No one's thinking except you? I thought about it plenty. Come on, man.
I dunno man, you read Jezebel, only the other day they posted the most brainless post about the Coen Brothers new film.

2273339-coreleone.jpg

Coen Brothers can be questioned on their all-white cast and still be seen to be making good films.

Sure, question them on their all-white casts. But don't question them on their all-white casts, when they are making a film about a period in Hollywood where the majority of films made had all-white casts.

I mean, to me it seems hilarious. There was clearly a major problem in 50s Hollywood with including any non-white actors. If the Coen brothers make a film about that period, and have any major roles occupied by non-white actors, it would be like they are saying "there never was any kind of problem like this in Hollywood".
I can't see how that's not far worse than making the film using a white cast because that's how fucking Hollywood worked back then!

It's not a film about the red carpet at the Academy Awards, there were many people of colour working in 1950's Hollywood.

Last edited:
It's just such a giveaway

"Look at how white this is!" as if white people were an offence in and of themselves. Dude is out hunting for this stuff so much that he doesn't know a non-problem when he sees one.

There's no cultural appropriation in it, no whitewashing of history or casting a white person in a POC's role.
They can't point to anything particularly wrong but are essentially saying there is something quite wrong going on overall in having a period movie cast all white.
Is the same criticism leveled at Downton Abbey?
I'm presuming that's fictional also.
If there's a problem with casting these dramas this way, I'd love to know it.

There was a thing in Britain this summer over the casting choices of some Shakespeare play, I think it was one of the Richards, being all white whereas in recent years BME actors have been getting roles in these, and not just playing Othello. It is sort of worth remembering that actors are pretending to be other people, and not actually being themselves

It's not a film about the red carpet at the Academy Awards, there were many people of colour working in 1950's Hollywood.

Yeah, it's not a film about them either. It's a fictional film about a major Hollywood actor of the time being kidnapped. Maybe they should show some of the work being done by poc at the time just to completely trivialise them. Have a mystical one in for extra street cred.

Hey did anyone watch Downton Abbey the other day? I can't believe they didn't focus more on that Irish potato-seller when they walked through that market.

There was a thing in Britain this summer over the casting choices of some Shakespeare play, I think it was one of the Richards, being all white whereas in recent years BME actors have been getting roles in these, and not just playing Othello. It is sort of worth remembering that actors are pretending to be other people, and not actually being themselves
Yeah, I thought they'd broken the mold on that ages ago. Hasn't the RSC had a black Hamlet?
I mean there is next to zero verisimilitude going on in Shakespeare anyway, they're always changing things up to make it more interesting.
Maybe that's the way to go. Or pull a Todd Haynes.
Maybe traditional storytelling is on its way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back