Guitar strings, and the breaking thereof... (3 Viewers)

Originally posted by Wicker
I play with my fingers also, but only tend to break a bass string if they are quite old....

As far as I'm concerned, you should replace the strings before every gig ... (for Acoustics and Electrics at least)

Do you not find that it leads to a lot of tuning problems?

Grrrr. I reckon Karl might be responsible for battering the shit out of your strings. I used to breaks strings all the time when I started playing but rarely do these days (3 times in the last year?). I use very light gauges (9's) and light plecs (no idea what thickness). Most of my 'fretwork' would tend towards string breaking moments. So I reckon some people just batter the shit out of strings and some don't.

Anyones fingers start bleeding after gigs? I did three gigs in three days and my fingers bled Bryan Adams stylee:D

Originally posted by sparse
Has anyone gotten strings on the internet? in bulk Loike? I've been concidering it, but I don't change mine that much, so if I left them in me room me brother would just nick them all.

Wooly, what sometimes post here, bought strings on the interweb, I don't from where, but it was something like "BUY 10,000,000 STRINGS FOR $19" or some"I can't believe thats not a rip off!" type deal.

So he gets his big box of guitar strings, and they are short.. like really short... like "they'll never fit on no guitar ever dude!", short. Perfect apart from that.

ha ha ha!

I rarely break strings because I play like limp wristed ponce

Do you not find that it leads to a lot of tuning problems?

it would if you didn't break them in with a rehearsal before the gig.
I'd never change them if I wasn't going to get the chance to break them in..... it would be tuning hell alright

Originally posted by Pantone247
Wooly, what sometimes post here, bought strings on the interweb, I don't from where, but it was something like "BUY 10,000,000 STRINGS FOR $19" or some"I can't believe thats not a rip off!" type deal.

So he gets his big box of guitar strings, and they are short.. like really short... like "they'll never fit on no guitar ever dude!", short. Perfect apart from that.

ha ha ha!

I rarely break strings because I play like limp wristed ponce

He be right
Wooly was duped

Not telling anyone which site though, out of pure spite for all things good & fair

It's always the G for me too, for some reason...I was going to submit some theory about it being the most tightly wound string (WHY it's the most tightly wound, of course, would require further explanation, which renders my theory utterly useless), but then it appears others find the D the weakest, so I think the only conclusion we can come to is that I'm talking utter shite. Ah shite.

fer me it was always the G or the hi E, the thinnest strings. the d is stronger than the G, altho i've broken the D a phew times as well. generally happens when trying to bend the fuckers over 2 frets up at the 12th fret upwards.
and usually end up slicing me fingers to ribbbons as well.
hence, i go for the lower gauges where possible, cos i'm a big wuss.

and that fretfast stuff, big thumbs up! had some a few years ago, but i havent seen it since. who's stocking it now?

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
So - guitar string breakage as a result of strap adjustment preference...discuss!

I dunno now Peter - as you know whenever myself and Karl alternate the ould bass playing I shorten the strap and neither of us have ever broken a string on it (ok, I know it's much harder to break a bass string but a)I've done it on other basses and b)we both belt hell out of it most of the time).

However... as Mark (I think) said, given the laws of physics etc the fact that you're used to playing the guitar at a lower angle meant you were hitting the strings at an earlier point on the 'arm-movement' trajectory and are therefore were probably hitting them harder.

And on the topic of changing guitar strings - I'm proud to say that I once went without changing the strings on my acoustic for five years!! I liked the dulled sound...

all them mammies boys who have monies to guy buy new strings between each show, pah! bet she sits minding your jackets and comes and collects yous after each gig too. mammies little soldiers

ehhh.......no offence like

Does anyone here fix strings like me? it saves a lot of money!

I do that on my stay at home and make stuff up guitar, and have the same strings on it for over 2 and 1/2 years.

Also, if there are nay nylon string junkies out there, the sound of ancient strings is better - like 3 year olds ones.

Trivia fact :

Neil Young likes the sound of old strings so much that he has his roadies fuck them up for a while before he uses them.
Mad, I tells ya.

I find it very hard to tune the g string, it seems to be the same on all guitars, it never sounds like you think it should.
That wouldn't be that when you tune it open, it sounds out of tune when you play it on the frets, and vice versa, perchance? I had that problem for ages, until I discovered it was just the intonation...of course, I haven't fixed it yet...but it does seem to turn up on G strings a lot, for some reason...

intonation..

Intonation - takes about 10 mins like...

If you get a tuner of the chromatic variety do this:

1. Check the harmonic on the twelth fret till its tuned to G
2. Play the twelth fret and see if its in tune.
3. If its not turn the screw at the bridge a bit, loosen it if the string is flat ( i think, its hard to rember using a PC keyboard) or tighten it if its sharp.
4. tune the harmonic on the twelth fret to G again, and repeat the above till it ends up that the twelth fret is the exact same as the twelth fret harmonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back