Guitar strings, and the breaking thereof... (1 Viewer)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
Alright, cue the muso nerds...

I don't break guitar strings very often. In fact, before a few weeks ago, I can't remember the last time I broke a guitar string. But the other week, I did. Here's why I think it happened -

So Karl, our bass player decides to fiddle around on guitar a bit during a break in rehearsal. Being as he is just a little smaller than me, he adjusts the guitar strap to be a bit shorter.
So, when I pick up the guitar again, it's a bit higher up than I'd normally have it. Being, as I am, a bit of a lazy 'auld chap, I decide to go with it. Two minutes later, I broke a string.

It's always bothered me how some people break strings every second song, and some people can't seem to break 'em, even if they try .

So - guitar string breakage as a result of strap adjustment preference...discuss!

I used to break strings loads on me old guitar but when I got the Dano, not at all. I have no clue as to why this is. Hmmm. And yes, the G string does seem to be the easiest one to break.

i broke a bass string at our last gig

Funny enough, I broke a bass string at our last gig....
(wasn't the first time either)
In my case, it was a combination of being to lazy to change the strings, combined with the way I play.

Our singer who also plays acoustic, breaks strings more often than he changes socks.
It's not his quitar, it's not his pick...
He seems to always do it on any guitar.

And does it matter wether he's sitting down or standing up?

I say, to all you string-breakers out there... adjust your guitar strap!
(then tell me if it worked)

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
And does it matter wether he's sitting down or standing up?

I say, to all you string-breakers out there... adjust your guitar strap!
(then tell me if it worked)

More often than not he breaks them while standing...
I will get him to try out your theory and let you know if it makes any difference....

Originally posted by GrRrrrR

So - guitar string breakage as a result of strap adjustment preference...discuss!

has to be bollox. i think it's down to the way you play and the guitar to a lesser extent. both me and anthony use 10's/11's and heavy plecs. i'm always breaking strings, usually the d string. although recently i've started using this stuff called 'fretfast' before and after rock. it lubes up the strings real nice and offsets the rusting effects of my sweaty mitts and so i seem to be breaking fewer stings. it has the added bonus of making me play like Yngwie Malmstein.
.|..| .|..|

Aye, but the basis of my theory is that I NEVER break strings. Like, NEVER EVER . And yet, after a dude in my band shortened the strap to a length I'd never usually use, I broke a string within 2 minutes...
Coincidence?

edit : I use .11's and .73 or .88 plecs.

reason it's the g that goes most is that it bears the brunt of over vigorous strumming, which the d string is just strong enough to take.

if yer breaking a disproportionate amount of strings, and they tend to be snapping at the bridge, check the saddles. might be a little nick chipping away at them.

i break millions of strings, but then i rock like a motherfucker

I hope you're reading this Dudley.

Used to break the odd string, I'd wait till I broke a few before changing strings. Now I change them every now and then regardless of wether they need changing or not. String breakage has almost stopped. Plus I have a good load of backup strings in case I do.

There is a million reasons for brakeing strings, playing style is a biggy, if you change your strap up it means that your hitting the strings at a different angle and a different force than your used to, so it puts more stress on strings. I never brake strings either, I go through about 3 packs of strings a year and thats to keep them fresh and I play a hell a lot.

I play 10's with a .78 or .88m matchpick

Does anyone here fix strings like me? it saves a lot of money!

Nahh, I'm one of those bitches who likes that 'new strings' sound, I tend to change 'em fairly often. Mind you, they are ridiculously expensive these days.
Oh, by the way, has anyone used those 'Elixir' acoustic strings? My advice - don't buy 'em.
You'll never go back to normal strings (and you'll be a lot poorer for it).

i think the answer might lie in the chap you gave your guitar to, not in the adjustostrap theory. north county hardcore techniques on a decent guitar by a chap who thinks plecs are for nancy boys can only result in string breaking chunddgery. you need ernie ball super slinkies (medium gauge) to survive a karl assault. you should know better, dont you remember the doyles gig where he impaled his paw on the tremelo arm from said antics?
he's a passionate possum bless him

Back in the day I used to break the D string constantly. So I wrote to D'adario and asked them if they changed the manufactring process at all. The wrote back and said "No" and apologised. No freebies though. Unlike Krabby who wrote to some drumstick company (can't remember who) and gave out shit about the tips constantly falling off leading to the sticks destroying the drum skins. They sent him about 20 sets of drumsticks. Nice one.

you only actually get about 10 hours playing time from a set of strings before they die and sound dull.

always been jealous of bands that can afford to change strings in between every gig.

bass player from pinback breaks a few strings at every show, and he plays with his fingers.

To make strings last longer I do recommend the "fret fast" that Mark spoke of. It really works and makes the strings all smooth and lovely, Give it a go Dudley.

Has anyone gotten strings on the internet? in bulk Loike? I've been concidering it, but I don't change mine that much, so if I left them in me room me brother would just nick them all.

Edit: 900 post! (that's how far I've fallen:( )

Originally posted by dudley
you only actually get about 10 hours playing time from a set of strings before they die and sound dull.

always been jealous of bands that can afford to change strings in between every gig.

bass player from pinback breaks a few strings at every show, and he plays with his fingers.

I play with my fingers also, but only tend to break a bass string if they are quite old....

As far as I'm concerned, you should replace the strings before every gig ... (for Acoustics and Electrics at least)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back