Green Card Lottery (1 Viewer)

The online entry registration period for the DV-2011 Diversity Visa lottery is between noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), Friday, October 2, 2009, and noon, Eastern Standard Time (EST) (GMT-5), Monday, November 30, 2009.

quick quick!

It's Important to Apply Early

I was just looking at the eligibility rules for this. I'm eligible via my profession. But then I see this;

1. WHAT DO THE TERMS “ELIGIBILITY”, “NATIVE” AND “CHARGEABILITY” MEAN? ARE THERE ANY SITUATIONS IN WHICH PERSONS WHO WERE NOT BORN IN A QUALIFYING COUNTRY MAY APPLY?

Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your country of eligibility is not related to where you live. ―Native ordinarily means someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country of residence or nationality. For immigration purposes, ―native can also mean someone who is entitled to be ―charged to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

For example, if you were born in a country that is not eligible for this year’s DV program, you may claim chargeability to the country where your derivative spouse was born, but you will not be issued a DV-1 unless your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2, and both of you must enter the United States together with the DVs. In a similar manner, a minor dependent child can be ―charged to a parent’s country of birth.

Finally, if you were born in a country not eligible to participate in this year’s DV program, you can be ―charged to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the your birth. In general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized if they are only visiting the country, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily in the country for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a country other than the country in which the applicant was born. If you claim alternate chargeability, you must indicate such information on the E-DV electronic online Entry Form, in question #6. Please be aware that listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry.

what a pile of shite. When I go through immigration I fill out an I-94 form. On it it asks me 'Nationality'. I answer 'Irish'.

For this they use the term 'NATIVE'. By their definition of the term I am thus disqualified because I was born in England.

Not that I wanted to apply but it would have been nice to know that I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back