Good man Stephen Ireland... (3 Viewers)

I'm not being a smartarse. Do you want to take a bet on it not being Greece, unless you think Latvia will beat them in Greece and/or Greece won't beat Luxembourg at home after drawing with Latvia? Put your money where your mouth is smartarse.

It's possible I know fuck all about the strength of Latvia current squad. it's also possible Sweden will get second in their group over portugal so in answer to my earlier question it is possible for us to get into pot 1.

Fuck sake. Look:

1 Russia (6th)
2 Croatia (9th)
3 France (10th)
4 Greece (12th)

5 Rep of Ireland (38th)
6 Sweden (41st)
7 Norway (43rd)
8 Bosnia (46th)
9 Slovenia (54th)

That's correct, but what Washingcattle is saying is that if Latvia were to win in Greece and take second place in that group, and assuming that Portugal or the Czechs don't take the respective 2nd places in their groups you'd then have:

1 Russia (6th)
2 Croatia (9th)
3 France (10th)
4 Rep of Ireland (38th)

5 Sweden (41st)
6 Norway (43rd)
7 Bosnia (46th)
8 Slovenia (54th)
9 Latvia (58th)

But Latvia probably won't win in Greece, making it all a bit unlikely..

That's correct, but what Washingcattle is saying is that if Latvia were to win in Greece and take second place in that group, and assuming that Portugal or the Czechs don't take the respective 2nd places in their groups you'd then have:

1 Russia (6th)
2 Croatia (9th)
3 France (10th)
4 Rep of Ireland (38th)

5 Sweden (41st)
6 Norway (43rd)
7 Bosnia (46th)
8 Slovenia (54th)
9 Latvia (58th)

But Latvia probably won't win in Greece, making it all a bit unlikely..

Yeah

Jesus fucking christ i was only fucking saying.

I know when you talk about mathamatical possibilities and the like you're fucked anyway but for fuck sake.

and in fairness greece won an international tourniment (one of nine winners all of which have already qualified) so they deserve all the trappings that come with it.

I know thumped is for pricks but jeeeeeez.

Pretty sure Norway can't qualify as they are destined to finished as the worst ranked 2nd placed team because their group was so overwhelmingsly shit, even though it was the five team group.

I also like how my completely unfounded, ill-thoughtout FIFA-need-Cristiano-Ronaldo conspiracy theory is really gathering momentum.

I also didn't realised we were fifth of the eight teams at the moment - thats a real sickener. To be honest I'd just like an open draw where anyone could play anyone. We all know the heated balls would come into play so there'd be no France vs Germany, but at least we could hope for a moment or so that it would happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_UEFA_Second_Round

Stock up on your FIFA 2010 World Cup Qualifiers UEFA Region Round Two facts in here. We could still technically miss out on second place in our group of course - but whoever gets second in our group, barring an unlikely s set of results that involves Bulgaria and us losing every single game we have left, Norway will be out.

How the fuck are Greece ranked 12th in the world? So they won the Euros over 4 years ago, big fucking deal, they were shite then and they've been shite ever since, what the fuck?

Winning the European Championships is a big achievement, you know. And they qualified for the last one too, and are in line to get to the play-offs this time. The rankings aren't made on aesthetic value.
Sure Ireland were in the top 5 way back when.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_UEFA_Second_Round

Stock up on your FIFA 2010 World Cup Qualifiers UEFA Region Round Two facts in here. We could still technically miss out on second place in our group of course - but whoever gets second in our group, barring an unlikely s set of results that involves Bulgaria and us losing every single game we have left, Norway will be out.

Too late to edit that into a proper sentence:

If we get one point we'll move ahead of Norway and even if Bulgaria get maximum points and finish ahead of us Norway are gone. For Norway to qualify we'd need us to lose our two remaining games, yet still finish second in our group.

Pretty sure Norway can't qualify as they are destined to finished as the worst ranked 2nd placed team because their group was so overwhelmingsly shit, even though it was the five team group.

I also like how my completely unfounded, ill-thoughtout FIFA-need-Cristiano-Ronaldo conspiracy theory is really gathering momentum.

I also didn't realised we were fifth of the eight teams at the moment - thats a real sickener. To be honest I'd just like an open draw where anyone could play anyone. We all know the heated balls would come into play so there'd be no France vs Germany, but at least we could hope for a moment or so that it would happen.

Yeah exactly. What the fuck is wrong with having a draw where anyone could end up playing anyone? Same fucking bullshit in the Champions League too, it's this fucking seeding nonsense that makes it all so fucking boring. As I've said before, they may as well just give all the big teams a bye into the next round.

No, it drew the really big teams like Arsenal etc. against the moderate teams, and some moderate teams against some small teams. So when the really big teams got into the group stages, they had even less competition to actually play against.

No, it drew the really big teams like Arsenal etc. against the moderate teams, and some moderate teams against some small teams. So when the really big teams got into the group stages, they had even less competition to actually play against.

Agreed.

So in the unlikely event that we get though to the world cup proper what seeding will we get? we've always gotten tough groups in the past Holland, England, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Nigeria, and of course Norway, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

based on the world rankings at the moment and the likely qualfyers we'd be third seeds again but if a few of the bigger teams like Czech and portugal get thorugh we're the whipping boys.

So in theory we'd end up in a group with for example Spain, Serbia and Mexico. It's hard to see how they work out the rankings we've dropped 12 places since february in spite of not losing a competitive match.

I'd imagine we'd be third seeds alright if we did make it through..

I like how the Stephen Ireland thread has just become the Ireland thread. It's what he would have wanted.

Agreed.

So in the unlikely event that we get though to the world cup proper what seeding will we get? we've always gotten tough groups in the past Holland, England, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Nigeria, and of course Norway, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

based on the world rankings at the moment and the likely qualfyers we'd be third seeds again but if a few of the bigger teams like Czech and portugal get thorugh we're the whipping boys.

So in theory we'd end up in a group with for example Spain, Serbia and Mexico. It's hard to see how they work out the rankings we've dropped 12 places since february in spite of not losing a competitive match.

Yeah the ranking system is ridiculous, how the fuck do you go down 12 places without losing a match including an away draw against the current World Champions? And how the fuck are Greece 12th?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back