good 4 lunch in town? (1 Viewer)

hag said:
yeah, but it's actually wrong. you just don't mix basil or oregano with pineapple. it's wrong. and evil.

I ate in an amazing pizza restaurant in London a few weeks ago that will put pretty much anything on your pizza but pineapple. The menu says: 'Pineapple is a pudding. It does not go on pizza.' I love when Italians get all bossy...

Personal favourite: spinach and egg. Or anchovies, but only in Italy - the ones we get here are pitiful.

Good places to eat lunch in the city centre: Soup Dragon (they ply you with fruit as you leave); any of the Bar Italias; Christophe's in the Epicurean Centre; Cornucopia (duh).

And I'm starting a campaign to bring back the Alpha Cafe, which used to be in a place upstairs off Wicklow Street. They'll never be able to reinstall the 1950s decor though (Gruel do a good imitation, but at five times the price for food). Best hangover food in the world. Ever.

If you go into Gruel just before they close they'll occasionally give you huge servings of whatever's left at bargain prices. Just make sure and smile nicely.

lorcanzo said:
has anyone any idea where i could get some food that isn't hot, spicy, solid, chewy, doesn't contain dairy or sugar and isn't water?
thanks.

If you're not taking the piss: Soup Dragon. Blazing Salads. Fresh. Cornucopia.

heh heh heh, are you sure the menu didn't say "Pineapple is a desert"? hee hee :p

mendozy said:
I ate in an amazing pizza restaurant in London a few weeks ago that will put pretty much anything on your pizza but pineapple. The menu says: 'Pineapple is a pudding. It does not go on pizza.' I love when Italians get all bossy...

I had my lunch in Govindas today. Yum yum.

If Dunne and Crezenzi is packed go to La Corte in the Powerscourt Centre.

Milano have the nicest pizza I've ever had (even though it's a soulless chain) - capriciossa - egg, peppers, ham, anchovy, capers.

hag said:
heh heh heh, are you sure the menu didn't say "Pineapple is a desert"? hee hee :p

Darling, I frequent only the best pizza establishments, and the menu would never say anything so uncouth. Besides, pineapples are tropical fruits and as far as I know, are never found in deserts. Occasionally in desserts, but only the tinned kind. (Upside-down pineapple PUDDING, on the other hand, is to die for.)

Wagamama under stephans green rocks, although it's a "non destinational eaterie" which means they churn people in and out at an alarming rate. The ramen or chicken katsu curry are highly recommended.

Pizza Stop on the lane opposite Bruxelles does fantastic pizzas, despite sounding like a poxy fast food chain. The chilli oil in there is great.

Has anyone actually tried those McDonalds salads? Apparently they are as bad for you as a big Mac (i.e same fat/calorie content) so I don't reallyt see the point.

A

mendozy said:
Darling, I frequent only the best pizza establishments, and the menu would never say anything so uncouth. Besides, pineapples are tropical fruits and as far as I know, are never found in deserts. Occasionally in desserts, but only the tinned kind. (Upside-down pineapple PUDDING, on the other hand, is to die for.)
i can't believe i made that mistake. for shame. when i was doing the entrance exam for templeogue college, there was a list of essays to do on the english portion. one of the choices was "a desert adventure". one guy raised his hand and asked if it meant "a desert adventure" or "a dessert adventure"... i vowed never to be as stupid as that guy and now look, almost 17 years later, i haven't progressed a bit. if anything, i've gone backwards. for shame hag, for shame.

jenko said:
Wagamama under stephans green rocks, although it's a "non destinational eaterie" which means they churn people in and out at an alarming rate. The ramen or chicken katsu curry are highly recommended.

Pizza Stop on the lane opposite Bruxelles does fantastic pizzas, despite sounding like a poxy fast food chain. The chilli oil in there is great.

Has anyone actually tried those McDonalds salads? Apparently they are as bad for you as a big Mac (i.e same fat/calorie content) so I don't reallyt see the point.

A
yes, they've genetically bred special lard laden lettuce - larduce, and fattening tomatoes - Fatatoes. For serious guys.

actually it is true, but only if you have the ceasar salad or the full fat vinaigrette dressing on top of the deep fried gunk they put on top of the larduce and the fatatoes. If you have the low fat dressing the salad comes in at approx 10 calories less than a borger n chip. Probably.

hag said:
i can't believe i made that mistake. for shame. when i was doing the entrance exam for templeogue college, there was a list of essays to do on the english portion. one of the choices was "a desert adventure". one guy raised his hand and asked if it meant "a desert adventure" or "a dessert adventure"... i vowed never to be as stupid as that guy and now look, almost 17 years later, i haven't progressed a bit. if anything, i've gone backwards. for shame hag, for shame.

Heh heh - dessert adventures would be way more fun. Diving into pools of rhubarb fool, wading through chocolate mousse, intrepidly carving a slice of cheescake...And, as a very bright girl I know said recently, one can't be smart all the time, it would intimidate people...

mendozy said:
Heh heh - dessert adventures would be way more fun. Diving into pools of rhubarb fool, wading through chocolate mousse, intrepidly carving a slice of cheescake...And, as a very bright girl I know said recently, one can't be smart all the time, it would intimidate people...
yes. indeed. can i take comfort in that so?

hag said:
where is this Dunne & Crezenzi?

South Frederick Street, off Nassau Street. Mr Crescenzi also owns the Bar Italia chain ;)

My favourite thing about this place, apart from the killer caprese salads: listening to all the yummy mummies trying to pronounce "Crescenzi".

A guy/mup i worked with had never tried a kebab/baguette in his 20 years and upon hearing its contents screwed his face up in disgust. Far from tasty, he'd never had a big mac or a whopper either. Livin dangerously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back