giving up smoking. an internet journal. (1 Viewer)

how can anyone possibly find the time to smoke 60 fags in one day?

I worked with a man who used to get up specially at 5am so he could smoke twenty fags before work. He was on a hundred a day but he gave up successfully by replacing fags with pistachio nuts.

Me da used to smoke about 80 a day. He was a mechanic and he'd be lying under cars smoking! Then had a heart attack when he was about fifty and it put the shits up him.

Funnily enough, i don't know one dude that the book didn't work on, and i don't know one dudette it did work on.

I now a bunch of lads who lasted between two and six months.

Liquorice is supposed to great for the cravings, something to do with the strong taste I think.

I found that persuading myself that the high/buzz wasn't worth the expense/health risks worked for me but I'm odd. My logic is if it ain't gonna get me high I ain't gonna smoke it. Worked for me so far, two cigs in five years and they were four years ago.

HMD you get through the weekend with no smoking? I didn't see you smoking on Friday anyhow.

1 year, 3 months and 4 days without a smoke. Hypnosis did it for me. 300 quid but well worth it. Still miss 'em sometimes.

What was hypnosis like? The idea of that kind of scares the bejaysus out of me...thinking of going for acupuncture..anyone any success with that???

Hypnosis was great, really enjoyable! First we had a chat for about half an hour and talked about when I smoke, why I smoke and when/why I started. Basically I was a boozy smoker and never before made the connection that I started smoking and boozing around 16 so the two were kind of inextricably linked - couldn't have one without the other kind of thing. Then I lay back, closed my eyes and he did all this relaxation stuff. I felt quite conscious for most of it and then all of a sudden he went '3,2,1 open your eyes' and I felt like I'd been asleep.

I wasn't a magic wand - I still craved them but it was so much easier to not give in to the craving. I don't get a lot of cravings now, but every now and then when I'm pissed I'd love one. Haven't given in yet though!

Sounds quite good, but still feel a bit funny about Hypnosis though..it's suspicious! Think I'm going to go for acuncture and see how that goes first. My mam was dragged for acupuncture years ago by her sister for them to both give up (her sister was afraid of needles..ha!). My mam hasn't smoked since but her sister was back on them within the day..so who knows.
Bizarrely i had picked the 15th Jan as a random date to give up same as someone else here...weird. Strategy will be to avoid the pub for 2 weeks at all costs..figure if i can get past that point i should be ok.

I'm going to have a fairwell fag party on the 14th....if i haven't smoked myself to death by midnight...then the 15th is d-day.

Hypnosis is no different from advertising or any form of suggestion really. Tis expensive though! Why would you avoid pubs? Are you in England? There's a smoking ban coming in July I think.

Hypnosis is no different from advertising or any form of suggestion really. Tis expensive though! Why would you avoid pubs? Are you in England? There's a smoking ban coming in July I think.
]

Nah live in Dublin..but the smoking ban has made no difference in that i seem to spend half the night standing outside smoking anyway..in all weathers. Avoiding pubs means i'm staying off the gargle too for a few weeks to get past the danger period!

HMD you get through the weekend with no smoking? I didn't see you smoking on Friday anyhow.

Yeah, wasn't too bad as i'm not drinking for a while. I had one or two pipes but no tobacco. Don't think i'll bother with the pipes anymore might go with the yogurts or on toasties it the mood takes me to get stoned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back