Georgia (1 Viewer)

Yep, Saakashvili's screwed no matter which way this turns out--what was he thinking? As for Kakha Kukava, if you say his name you sound like a crow.

Or a chicken.

chickendance2.jpg

"Kakha Kukava, Kakha Kukava"

bell512x384.jpg

so, Russia has responded to the Polish - US agreement to deploy missile shield technology in Poland by asserting that it reserves the right to make a tactical nuclear strike against Poland if deployment goes ahead.
Meanwhile Polish troops parade to mark a rare defeat of Russia almost 900 years ago, while Georgian President/Washington stooge warns the world that "we are staring evil in the face"

On the plus side, expect to hear less and less about the terrific danger of al-Qaeda etc.

Paranoid? at least I'm enjoying my symptom...

Doubt they'll use a tactical nuke. They'd probably just send in some planes and take out the missile launchers. It won't come to that though. It'll be the Cuban thing all over again. Take your missiles out of Turkey and we'll take ours out of Cuba. Etc.

They'd get The Fear.

It'll never happen. But there's going to be a lot of "detente" ahead. With the end result that th eyanks won't put their missile defence shield in either poland or Czech.

So there's no obligation to roll in behind the Poles? Was there something about a mutual defence pact in Lisbon or was all the military stuff to do with the battle groups?

There's an obligation with NATO, not the EU. Although the EU would have to more or less side with the Poles, if it wants to be taken seriously.

The Common Defence Policy mularkey was part of Lisbon. But there's already some of that in there with the Boche and the Vichy crowd.

So there's no obligation to roll in behind the Poles?

There is an obligation because Poland is in NATO and that's a mutual defence arrangement. And that's why Russia aren't going to go bombing Poland as they don't want a war with NATO anymore than NATO wants a war with Russia. It's all talk .....

I think the Russians wouldn't give two flying fucks about taking on Nato at the moment. They're not going to have that missile shield in their back yard. But I can't see them going into Poland again. Not yet anyway.

I think the Russians wouldn't give two flying fucks about taking on Nato at the moment. They're not going to have that missile shield in their back yard. But I can't see them going into Poland again. Not yet anyway.

agreed.. russia is not the ussr, it doesn't have the power to invade eastern europe in any kind of expansionist mode as before. but that's not the point. throughout the cold war, and it's easy to forget this, the USSR was convinced that the USA would not hesitate to clobber them with a first strike at the slightest opportunity.

since the cold war nato has placed bases in kosovo and afghanistan through military invasion - going against the UNSC for kosovo, while turning down UN mandate in afghanistan specifically to exclude russia and china - and has signed treaty pacts with former soviet satellites.

the missile shield is seen in russia today in exactly the same light as it was when reagan started pushing for it. it's nothing to do with defending the US, it's basically checkmate to allow the US to destroy - or subjugate - russia. they won't allow that to happen, and with the US army bogged down in the middle east, now's the best chance to stop it.

Yeah. I think it's a bit of USA's difficultiy is our opportunity, etc.

The yanks are pushing it a bit to see how far they can push Russia, a nuclear power. Obviously, if they can take on the Russian's, then Iran will be more likely to listen.

But Russia just can't allow that to happen. And they won't. If they have to, they'll use nukes. Albeit on a small scale. But they'd probably nuke Czechnya or Georgia to prove the point.

There'll be deals made soon enough. And they always have the Cuban option, which they've already hinted at.

I really can't see Poland getting the missile shield anytime soon. Which means the Czech Republic will back out too.

I was talking to a Russian lad in work about this. He was saying that essentially Russia is involved in border skirmishes all the time, and has been for years. Normally no one cares or notices in the rest of the world, leading Russia to steadily up the ante over time.

This one just blew up very badly, but its been coming for a while.

In his words, the situation out there around Georgia is "all bad, really bad".
He was saying that he doesn't necessarily think that this was being done as a direct Fuck You / saber rattling at the US, but if that's an outcome they are more than fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back