Game Of Thrones Season 5 (1 Viewer)

a pair of boobies, just for you

Galapagos-1024_137002o.jpg

It's not even as if they made any attempt to portray any of the internal conflict going on in his mind when he is deciding to do this (assuming such conflict is going on). Instead it goes down something like this:

"Jeez ... this war isn't going so well for me right now, what with all my supplies being burnt"

"You know what you should do? You should have your only daughter burned alive at the stake".

"Do you think that would help? Oh all right, let's do that then."

It's not even as if they made any attempt to portray any of the internal conflict going on in his mind when he is deciding to do this (assuming such conflict is going on). Instead it goes down something like this:

"Jeez ... this war isn't going so well for me right now, what with all my supplies being burnt"

"You know what you should do? You should have your only daughter burned alive at the stake".

"Do you think that would help? Oh all right, let's do that then."
Well he did look a bit more dishevelled than usual I guess that was supposed to cut it. But I couldn't agree more. The stakes just didn't seem high enough and the immediate benefit vague. The setup was fudged both in terms of the raid and before that in eschewing further references to religious fervour in favour of some father-daughter bonding i.e. setting us up for the fall.

I thought the daughter-burning scene was quite tame really, they didn't even show the bit after where the army smells her cooked flesh, gets hungry, and eats it all up

All I can say to that is more fool them if they do as it's likely to be all charred on the outside but not cooked properly all the way through. Will make them very sick indeed.

Did you not think the under-age prozzie was just as bad?

I guess this all meant to be stomach-churning to the point at which you want to kill the offender. You want to Arya to eviscerate the posh beardy paedo. You want to kill the sexy witch. Stannis, not so much. Nor do you feel sorry for him. His change of heart/steeling himself to doing whatever it takes just isn't believable. I think he's always lacked charisma (possibly the actor's performance -- belongs in Taggart or Bergerac or something) in any case and the screen time devoted to him just doesn't work for me. He's boring. So as the character most invested in the girl's burning you just feel nothing. Hence it feels gratuitous, just a play for audience-shock.

Great episode, the whole way through, in spite of the above. I love the wildling giant. More of him please.

Oh and, burning your own daughter is definitely worse than burning some random farm boys or skinning an aulwan, in the whole identify-with-the-character scheme of things. It doesn't surprise that Hugh and Egg, as fathers of girls, were the most appalled by this scene. I found it extremely hard to take too, in spite of not buying into the Stannis character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back