Funkiest tunes you like (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by conor
damn straight - korn actually do some amazing stuff with slap too sometimes if that's your bag. sometimes its over the top. i've just seen so many technically great bassists overuse slap 'cos its showy. they end up sounding like the seinfeld music.

nah - i ain't got the hang of slap meself so just flippantly dismissing it ;)
faith no more were pretty much the first band i really got into. (after def leppard :eek: )
me - i'm all plec trom!

No you're right .... dismiss it ! Slap bass is an abomination in my opinion. It put me off Seinfeld for years because of the the slap bass intro. My older brother (who also plays the bass) had loads of Stanley Clarke records. Stanley was the king of slap and 2000 note per second jazz-bass-improv in the 1970's. It left me traumatised forever. And it sounds like muck.

Stick with plectrums. Think Jean Jacques Burnell. Think Bob Weston. Resist all 'funk' impulses. That way lies the dreaded PAMF.

Leave the fancy stuff to the guitar players ....

I'm not gonna bother giving my opinion on the lists and stuff, mostly because i couldn't be arsed.
2 Funk Albums to listen to:
Dap Dippin' with Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Pure Funk, none of this watered down shite that people seem to think is funk.

Fat and Funky vol. 1, Funk 45's - Early soulful funk singles, the origins of funk.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind, Talking Book.
Sly and the Family Stone - Stand
David Bowie - Young Americans, Station to Station.

great records
add Songs In Key Of Life and Innervisons to the Stevie stuff
70s Herbie, HEadhunters, Manchild
Curtis til Short Eyes
Issac Hayes parts of

anything from 1973

Originally posted by Pantone247
I have never seen any Dublin "funk" band come with in a million miles of the funk music I love. Mostly its just a sap with some souped up strat and a Digtech 800xl mudderfucker FX board with an expression pedal doing "whakka chikka, wakka chikka" and a bass player with some god awful Mark King stylee bass under his chin playing

did you ever see P.A.M.F... i thought they were damn funky...or maybe i was just locked every time i saw them, but i remember, or think i remember, a certain funkiness to their music that may or may not have been good...i was drinking a lot of bulmers at that stage (damn you rotten apples, damn you). They had some american members though so maybe they were cheating.

i also remember seeing ravers at Tension gigs, possibly warming up for the nights festivities by dancing to Tension. Tension were funky, though obviously not a funk band as such, but funky nonetheless.

yer man from pamf had a half fretless bass. that was cool, but arsehole.

i invented bass back in the 1980's, and i don't remember inventing slap. it's obviously some kind of musical terrorism. i suggest we bomb mark kings gaf back to seventies.

Seems to me that slap bass was a real 80's thing. Like too much cocaine in the studio, nasty reverb, delays on drums and drum machines etc. I dismiss 80's as worst decade ever. The best music of the 80's steered clear of these horrid fads.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Seems to me that slap bass was a real 80's thing. Like too much cocaine in the studio, nasty reverb, delays on drums and drum machines etc. I dismiss 80's as worst decade ever. The best music of the 80's steered clear of these horrid fads.

It makes much more sense if you consider the culture of the 80s, *everything* was bought or done to show off and the music reflects this.

Consumerism, big cars, clothing, big Tv, stereos, etc. that's the 80s! Big guitarrists were Yngwie Malmstein (sp?), Satriani, Steve Vai, etc. bass players were Stu Hamm, Gregg Bisonette, John Patitucci, etc. rock bands were kinda Spinal Tap...

Yet there was quite a lot of good music... what about the prog wave of the early 80s? Bands like Alan Parson's Project or Bush, Rush, Goblin... that's good stuff for instance.

Duran Duran were cool too, remember the bass riff of "New Religion"? :cool:

Originally posted by Alex

Duran Duran were cool too, remember the bass riff of "New Religion"? :cool:

me and you should get together... i used to play along to this one.

they played that song on the last ever Tube....

Talkin' about Dublin funk... Sometimes around August 2001 I went to Thomas House on a Friday and there were three guys (Bass, Drum and Guitar) who were playing some Excellent funk (covers though).

They were absolutely amazing. Especially the bass player (Kieran was his name) but I never managed to see them again...

Anybody?

Originally posted by egg_
The two funkiest songs I have ever heard:

Funky Kingston by Toots and the Maytals
Strike by Union (off some rare funk gems compilation whose title escapes me at the minute)

So funky it's un-funking-believeable :eek:

Are you comin to the gig on saturday Egg? I think you'll like it, definitley our piano numbers. Ask Unclealo;)

Originally posted by egg_
Fraid not - this Saturday I'm gonna be in Portlaoise (or is it Portarlington? - better ask my wife)

No worries, Maybe next time then. One o thems got a prison. Careful now.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
me and you should get together... i used to play along to this one.

they played that song on the last ever Tube....

you know the original line-up is reforming and touring later this year? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back