Funkiest tunes you like (1 Viewer)

I dunno about that, you're pretty funky. Herv's funkier though.

But you as funky as a wild thang.

Funky as a hoyeah bebby.

Funky as a funky judo chop. As a take it around town. As a put the tea cups on the shelf. As a dig the grave. As a stir the cauldron. Play that funky music, white boy, you're too sexy for your cat.

i know, I seen you playing "Junkies for Jesus" and it's a funk epic.

Anyone ever heard Babes in Toyland's take on 'We are Family' - v interesting example of what happens when funk meets grunge.

Funk can be great but slap bass :( I try not to think too much about that cos it makes me upset.

Originally posted by snakybus
i know, I seen you playing "Junkies for Jesus" and it's a funk epic.

baby,

don't you be going telling me I is funky

I knows I is funky!!

I love 70's funk and soul but, Curtis Mayfiled and Sly Stone are two of my very favourite songwriters, indeed Family Affair is one of my favourite songs ever.

But god the crap people pawn off as funk in this town... :(

Freda Payne has some great "I want to be a chick" songs.

Stevie Wonder's seventies output is cracking stuff.

Many fond memories of wah-wah guitars and hammond organs. Sixth year in school... ah jaysis... I was so funk-affected my testicles turned into mirrorballs.

Now they're just wrecking balls.:(

Fank and Wank Bass

slap bass = bold. so 80's.

Slap Bass isnt wank, its a bit more like some kind of S+M deal....all that slapping and popping and double stops (I should get extra abuse for know what one of those is) sound quite emm..anyways - plectrum bass is also wank.
Nobody Mentioned that "groove is in the house" thing did they? Or the Theme from Dallas?

Herbie Hancock a d his crazy Headhunters. Wonderful Mojo-inspiring stuff.

Weather Report - mildly cheesy although I still have to hear the wonderfully-titled "I sing the body electric"

Nothing wrong with bass-slapping. Better than back-slapping.

So 80's Wank

slap bass = bold. so 80's.

Worse than wanky slap bass though is definitley all that muted guitar wah wah business that they got away with.

If you play funk backwards it turns into ska.

I hate when I reply to my own posts, but I just had an audio version of a mental picture of a guy doing that wah wah thing and thunk to myself what a wonderful world...

Originally posted by Alex
Funk is good. Anything from Corduroy would be my first choice

Ok maybe i've missed something, but i'm assuming you're not talking about the British band Corduroy who were banging about a few years back, fronted by twin brothers because if you are..........................

POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Fank and Wank Bass

Originally posted by captain anomie
plectrum bass is also wank.

!?

and playing violin with a bow
or playing football with a football

Originally posted by Pantone247
If you're not black, on a truckful of drugs and living in Detroit in the early 70's its ussually wank.

Why do people think slap bassing through the blues scale and going "whaka chikka" on a wah pedal constitutes funk? Funk is the most abused music ever, mostly by white Irish teenagers who've never heard of Sly Stone.

I could rant long time on this one

Really now? If you're not black your funk is wank? Thats Bollocks. Like saying if you're not from Memphis you're Blues is wank. Thats ridiculous. Music is universal. Fucking Universal. Who would have thought that a bunch of Liverpudlians would inspire generations with their take on Rock n' Roll. You know your statement was bollocks don't you.

If you're not black you can't rap too I suppose.

...I could go on, and on

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Who would have thought that a bunch of Liverpudlians would inspire generations with their take on Rock n' Roll. .

yeah - the anfield rap has a lot to answer for

Originally posted by Pantone247

baby,

don't you be going telling me I is funky

I knows I is funky!!

I love 70's funk and soul but, Curtis Mayfiled and Sly Stone are two of my very favourite songwriters, indeed Family Affair is one of my favourite songs ever.

But god the crap people pawn off as funk in this town... :(

Don't mean to state the obvious but this towns take on Rock music is sometimes the worst shit ever heard, ditto for indie, blippy, avant garde (don't make me laugh), metal. So much AWFUL CRAP.

Really, think about it. You're saying that anything influenced by funk in this town stinks? Come on. Thats rubbish.

David Bowie also released one of the funkiest albums ever with Young Americans.

Stevie Wonder wrote the greatest funk albums EVER and should be regarded as a Genius, surpassed only by the Beatles. He's one man though.

and playing violin with a bow, football with a football etc.

Refering to the above, I was quoting the guy I know in Ballybofey who always comes up to me in "bonners" on friday night and starts telling me that I'm a shite bassist, based on the facts that:

A: He hasnt heard anything I've done and I dont know who Stu Hamm is.
B. He has never seen any of my bands live and I dont know who Stu Hamm is.
C. He doesnt play bass and I dont know who Stu Hamm is.
D. I dont know who Stu Hamm is.
E. You should get some Stu Hamm stuff, he's an ACCOMPLISHED BASSIST, and you seriously have never heard of Stu Hamm?

Fuck I hate Arm chair Musicians, their worse than Arm Chair Politicians, they are actually worse then poiliticains.

Although it probably came across a bit incoherent, I've seen the plec vs. finger thread on fastfude a few times, and the whole argument is a load of football without the foot.

There's also rappers delight by kool and the gang i thunk.

As a bass maniac me thinks:

Most of funk don't even have slap bass!

Slap bass can be great when it's done to add groove, there are many things you can do with slap which are impossible if picking

E.G. [for the funksters]

http://www.marcusmiller.com - Best bass player EVER

E.G [for the rockers]

Chillies, Rage Against The Machine, Faith no more, etc.

Slap bass sucks when it's done just to impress

E.G. [for the suckers;)]

Stuart Hamm (Joe Satriani), Limp Bizkits (!!)

Ed, about Corduroy don't know if they're British, twins, etc. it's a band who play fast funky groovy acid jazz stuff. They have one of the best rythmic sessions ever and were pretty big in the early nineties.

Originally posted by Alex
As a bass maniac me thinks:

Most of funk don't even have slap bass!

You are so right Alex. To be honest there's an absolute lack of knowledge on the subject of Funk and Reggae on thumped, and in Dublin generally. Complete ignorance in fact. Go listen to:

Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind, Talking Book.
Sly and the Family Stone - Stand
David Bowie - Young Americans, Station to Station.

There's no slapbass. Never has been. Not even on Sly and the Family stone.

Faith no More's attempts were shit. They DID use slap bass.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Chillies has some very respectable Funk/Rock angles on it, but the 'big snare' Drum sound they went for is rubbish and kills some of the grooves. Sir Pycho sexy is one of the best Funk/Rock songs I've evr heard.

Stu Hamm is the reason I boycotted Bonners. Its a nice Pub, But Stu Hamm ruined it.
He is also one of those guys who can play miliions of notes in a really short time and make it sound like millions of notes on a short amount of time (I think). I know a bit about him, but refuse to find out anymore because he has the ability to make guinness taste crap without even being there.
bonners

Charles Mingus is a good bassist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back