Funkiest tunes you like (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by captain anomie
Stu Hamm is the reason I boycotted Bonners. Its a nice Pub, But Stu Hamm ruined it.
He is also one of those guys who can play miliions of notes in a really short time and make it sound like millions of notes on a short amount of time (I think). I know a bit about him, but refuse to find out anymore because he has the ability to make guinness taste crap without even being there.
bonners

Charles Mingus is a good bassist...

Ha ha ha ha :p :D :p :D ....sound.

Charles Mingus is a jazz Guy, I once landed in caked at about 4 am and fired on Lyric FM on the headphones, Thanks To Charles Mingus I saw God, or at least something.....it might have been a duck with a bowler hat and a broadsword.
Who would think that limerick could ever be the source of such em...Mighty Duck Spirituality...

Originally posted by Wooly
Have you heard the slap stuff on woodpeckers from mars? It was deadly.

Never heard it. I'm into funk mainly for:

The Riffs,
The Clavichords, and Synths
The Whas,
The Aggression,

...like Led Zeppelin are still one of my favourite bands ever, but I can appreciate other genres and use them as an influence. So many bands in Ireland sound similar, like they're all listening to the same music, caged, and afraid to stray too far into foreign lands. Experimenting is everything.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Really, think about it. You're saying that anything influenced by funk in this town stinks? Come on. Thats rubbish.

that is more or less what I'm saying. In my experience funk influenced muci in dulbin is lazy and formulaic, none of the imagination or spark of Theres a Riot Going On, or Talking Book.

I have yet to see anything to alter my opinion on this. I know every brand of music has its villains, in this town as much as anywhere else, but funk, is one of the biggest casualties. I have never seen any Dublin "funk" band come with in a million miles of the funk music I love. Mostly its just a sap with some souped up strat and a Digtech 800xl mudderfucker FX board with an expression pedal doing "whakka chikka, wakka chikka" and a bass player with some god awful Mark King stylee bass under his chin playing root, octave and walking up and down the third and fifths. And a singer growling lurid and sexually offensive noises into a microphone. I swear I've seen it so much it bores me to tears.

I ain't saying white people can't play funk,
just that Irish people can't play funk, in my experience!

Until I see something that proves me wrong, and not the Global fucking Funk Orchestra, I'll remain very very cynical about Irish Funk. Sorry!

(and I know you are saying all "uh music is universal" and I know, I know, on paper I agree.... but in practice funk comes off so badly on the dulbin live circuit its nothign short of a crime)

I'm ranting, I know, but its something that really irks me

I still love you like!

speedy, he say:

To be honest there's an absolute lack of knowledge on the subject of Funk and Reggae on thumped

jesus speedy, it's been a while since you've come out with such crap. nice to see you're back to your former, eh, glories. no no, lecture us some more. list things some more. miss the point some more.

the funkiest band is funkstorung, obviously.

Most Cultures have a natural sort intrinsic (inbred?) roots music thing going on - I cant imagine how a bunch of pasty skinned alcoholics could ever possibly make a career playing funk, I mean since when does a pile of turf, bigotry, a big spike, some of the most incoherent spoken english on earth and pool of instruments that only involved a bit of goat for percussion, a harp? (anyone got another suggestion..accordion perhaps" for bass and a feadog for melody ever equate to "lets play Funk"?
I'm not saying its impossible, just a bit unlikely...

Originally posted by Pantone247
that is more or less what I'm saying. In my experience funk influenced muci in dulbin is lazy and formulaic, none of the imagination or spark of Theres a Riot Going On, or Talking Book.

I have yet to see anything to alter my opinion on this. I know every brand of music has its villains, in this town as much as anywhere else, but funk, is one of the biggest casualties. I have never seen any Dublin "funk" band come with in a million miles of the funk music I love. Mostly its just a sap with some souped up strat and a Digtech 800xl mudderfucker FX board with an expression pedal doing "whakka chikka, wakka chikka" and a bass player with some god awful Mark King stylee bass under his chin playing root, octave and walking up and down the third and fifths. And a singer growling lurid and sexually offensive noises into a microphone. I swear I've seen it so much it bores me to tears.

I ain't saying white people can't play funk,

Until I see something that proves me wrong, and not the Global fucking Funk Orchestra, I'll remain very very cynical about Irish Funk. Sorry!

(and I know you are saying all "uh music is universal" and I know, I know, on paper I agree.... but in practice funk comes off so badly on the dulbin live circuit its nothign short of a crime)

I'm ranting, I know, but its something that really irks me

I still love you like!
I can Understand what you are saying but in my opinion I haven't yet heard an Irish Rock band which stretches the imagination. And what you are saying about whacka, whacka guitar and Bass playing the root notes only an octave up is no crime in my book. Once the Song is good. Method doesn't matter to much to me. Like some of my fave evr Rock songs use three chords. No problem to me.

If the artist manages to get the audience off on Three chords or a five note riff and some grooves, then he/she's a good writer.

I was amazed by Neosupervital last week. Not cos what he was playing on the synth guitar was technically amazing, but because some of the song writing was amazing. And his singing only made things better. Legend.

Originally posted by silo
jesus speedy, it's been a while since you've come out with such crap. nice to see you're back to your former, eh, glories. no no, lecture us some more. list things some more. miss the point some more.

the funkiest band is funkstorung, obviously.

Ah jayzus there's the wet Haddock I adore.

Originally posted by captain anomie
Most Cultures have a natural sort intrinsic (inbred?) roots music thing going on - I cant imagine how a bunch of pasty skinned alcoholics could ever possibly make a career playing funk, I mean since when does a pile of turf, bigotry, a big spike, some of the most incoherent spoken english on earth and pool of instruments that only involved a bit of goat for percussion, a harp? (anyone got another suggestion..accordion perhaps" for bass and a feadog for melody ever equate to "lets play Funk"?

Yeah but Van Morrison is from a shit hole called Belfast. Think about it. Rory Gallagher wass from Cork. Shit happens

YEah and the R@$'s are from donegal. Thats two versus about 1200 on thumped and 600 on fastfude.
Rory Gallagher's did some cool trad on the 'whistle test' not so long ago, VanM Is still hardcore Celtic in My book.

Our biggest Export is Enya....

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
speedracer - may I suggest you add "sir duke" by stevie wonder to your list of funk ?

I know, I know, I didn't want to fill the list with Stevie, but it would actually be justified.

....also I would have thought Louis Walsh related muck was our biggest export. But yeah...maybe its the awful Enya.

I hate it when Bowie tries to be a soulman

I think it was a low point for him

I don't like Young Americans

He goes on about being "very sexual", and he's not. He's very British, and that's not sexy.

It's like Sinead O Connor doing her famine rap - "there woz no focking fommin, roight", or her reggaed up version of baidin fheidhlime, aagh, gag me with a spoon. White people wanting to be black Americans or Jamaicans, eh? Irish white people wanting to be groovy. Saints preserve us.

She's not that bad, she's less commercial than feckin anything on this board - she's never played live and she still can sell fuckin bucket loads. I have big respect (bo...etc) for anyone who can pull that off. And she also had the only ever Irish language No. 1 in the UK...
I'd like to see Loser Walsh try it.

Vote against Mickey Harte (please)

Originally posted by pete
I happen to like Country Music: A Night In Hell.

That's actually a class tune :)

Did you notice how he imitates other instruments? He makes his bass sound first like a guitar, then a banjo, then an harmonica... basically he was doing a whole country session by his own! :D

However, great technic but artisticlywise (made up word?:)) he never did anything so amazing... he's kinda Satriani of bass guitar and indeed used to play with him

Originally posted by snakybus

It's like Sinead O Connor doing her famine rap - "there woz no focking fommin, roight", or her reggaed up version of baidin fheidhlime, aagh, gag me with a spoon. White people wanting to be black Americans or Jamaicans, eh? Irish white people wanting to be groovy. Saints preserve us.

I´ve endured many many mc´s at drum n bass nights attempting to be black.

ít´s quite a pitiful sight

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back