Funkiest tunes you like (3 Viewers)

Originally posted by michaelknight
Yeah, that's true. But I think to the Stage suffers the least from that complaint...I prefer Funkadelic to Parliament anyway, as they're that bit weirder, whereas Parliament is more cheesy or something...which can be good too, of course...

Me n Mastah rove the cheese in de funk. See back in the 70's bein cheesy was so coor! Now evelybody say "Oh, thats so cheesy", it kirrs the buzz.

Mastah say: "Speakin of cheese me gotta go wash rittre fu yung. Its been a rongtime!"

Originally posted by michaelknight
Yeah, that's true. But I think to the Stage suffers the least from that complaint...I prefer Funkadelic to Parliament anyway, as they're that bit weirder, whereas Parliament is more cheesy or something...which can be good too, of course...

The cheesy party atmosphere on alot of funk records seems to ruin its credibility or something. Like the raw stuff (2 guitars, one sax, one keyboard, bass, drums) remains more timeless, but the over the top stuff (6 back up singers, lead singer, brass section, 3 guitars, 2 synths, a keyboard, a drummer, a bongo drummer, 2 bassists!) seems like too much going on all of the time. If you know what I mean. Simplify Maaaan!

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
speaking of The Devils what about the Arcadia and Power Station albums,

Arcadia one was ok, Power Station was shit.
rarely see them 2nd hand but

Election Day

Who are these ' Arcadia'? and what year were they about? and where are they from?

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Who are these ' Arcadia'? and what year were they about? and where are they from?

They were Simon Le Bon and Nick Rhodes's pretentious we-wish-we-were-members-of-Japan-instead-of-Duran-Duran side project, from '85-'86. Being a pretentious 12-year-old Durannie I thought they were the bee's knees. I still love the album, but largely for nostalgic reasons.

In an attmept to unify this thread, I got into Sly and the Family Stone because Nick Rhodes mentioned they were one of his favourite bands in an interview. Also got into the Velvets via Duran Duran as well. God bless those lipstick-wearing, mullet-headed brummies.

Oh yes, and it's Nick R. who's looking like a housewife on crack these days, John Taylor is still looking pretty fine. Simon le Bon has got skinny again but he now has the largest nose in pop.

Originally posted by Lolo
They were Simon Le Bon and Nick Rhodes's pretentious we-wish-we-were-members-of-Japan-instead-of-Duran-Duran side project, from '85-'86. Being a pretentious 12-year-old Durannie I thought they were the bee's knees. I still love the album, but largely for nostalgic reasons.

i gots now 6 on vinyl and it has that arcadia track on it. great stuff.

OH MY GOD!! I just bought Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin on (1971), and its fuckin AMAZING! They don't make stuff like this no more. Christ, the singing is wild. I'm lovin these dudes more and more. .......Shamone!

...by the way, not a hint of slap bass. Definitley belonged to London in the 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back