free 1yr subscription to tape op magazine (1 Viewer)

herbert interview is good.
not a whole lot in it....cant complain for free though

beats playing 8 quid for Sound On Sound like I did at the weekend... awful awful mag full of jargon and bad hob nob jokes....

hoping my tape-op is at home, I agree there's not a lot to it, but for free...

also their reviews are hilarious, something about the bad writing, mixed with the over enthusiasm, combined with wanting to name drop all the writers own gear and facilities at the same time... endearing...

i got mine last week and havent read it yet. i like sound on sound's chocolate biscuit gag too, it never gets old. not that i buy SOS anymore, or record either really for that matter... you can always get sound on sound for free at http://magesy.net/ if you feel like it

if you put the sos reviews in tape op youd have a good mag

Are you fucking high?
The TapeOp reviews are THE best around.
Hands down.
The SOS reviews use the word 'esoteric' in every paragraph and pretend to be impartial by finding some pointless, insignificant flaw with every product.
The Hugh Robjohns ones are usually fine, but that Paul White dude needs to fuck right off.

AllAmerican_card.jpg

IMO, the SOS reviews are 80% describing how many knobs and sockets something has, along with a whole paragraph of specifications lifted off the manufacturer's website. If you're lucky, they do 20% or so of what the thing sounds like and/or how useful it actually is.
Now, maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather those percentages were the other way around, so the TapeOp reviews suit me much better.
That and they get different (and sometimes big-name) engineers in to do reviews for every issue, not the same 4/5 staffers.

I agree with R/T, I could do with more opinion on the SOS stuff. When I was buying my first condensor I read a lot of them and over time I reaslised you just scrolled to the last paragrpah where they generally just say "yay" or "nay". The rest of the piece is just shite about how the metal casing for the PCB was machined in China in a similar, but equally disimilar process, to another mic they reviewed in March 2005 (see p42 March 2005)

I've got my issues with Tape Op reviews, I think they're amatuer (though they're not pretending they're not) and you rarely, rarely, here any negatives... just guys who can't believe someone sent them a mic to fuck around with (!!!)

problem with gear reviews are that obviously theyre very subjective. so, if hugh robjohns is reviewing a moog ring modulator he may not be looking to do with it what i would. so, what id be interested from him are things like describing what features it has & how well they work. i dont particularly care how he useful he thinks it is or how well it sounds.

so, what id be interested from him are things like describing what features it has & how well they work. i dont particularly care how he useful he thinks it is or how well it sounds.

Ah, different strokes and all that, good stuff.
I get my spam about features offa the manufacturer's website, so I do rather care about what someone who's used it thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back