Fontaines DC (5 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

lad from the Smiths loves them. The Brits are lapping them up. I suppose that makes them the 'Mrs Browns Boys' of music.

The brits owe us for giving David gray a career

This is a fairly decent approximation of the Whipping Boy sound but his vocal delivery is bizarre. It's like he's doing a comedy impression of a Dublin accent in parts of it. I know I've joked about him/them before but it really jars how awkward it sounds, "the lights they gaw ekauw, ekauwwwww!" In fact, his vocals remind me of some Irish trad or Irish trad punk bands from other countries where the lead singer approximates an Irish accent.

This is a fairly decent approximation of the Whipping Boy sound but his vocal delivery is bizarre. It's like he's doing a comedy impression of a Dublin accent in parts of it. I know I've joked about him/them before but it really jars how awkward it sounds, "the lights they gaw ekauw, ekauwwwww!" In fact, his vocals remind me of some Irish trad or Irish trad punk bands from other countries where the lead singer approximates an Irish accent.

Yeah - sounds like a parody of themselves. It’s pretty dire.

the vocals sound like a pisstake whatever he's trying to do.
the nursery rhyme parts are really silly. he needs electrocution lessons. and people take this seriously?
A friend of mine is a buyer for a major French media chain and has some of the most respectable music taste of anyone I know. Serious record collection, he used to work for some cool labels, etc. He cannot believe that I would hate these guys because as far as the rest of the world is concerned, they are authentically representing the real Dublin and are a breath of fresh air amidst all the phoniness out there.

If a non English speaking band was doing the same thing they might get a pass as we'd put any lyric deficiencies down to accent/second language or whatever?
and the music is unremarkable at best but so is most mainstream crap.

actually I'll bring up a wider point. Fontaines DC are no more representative of Dublin than the two Johnnies (Tipperary comedy song/radio presenter duo with lots of novelty songs about hurling) are of me.

the idea that someone is only a product of where they live or grew up is bullshit.
if someone is just being a cliche then they'd probably be a sucker where ever they came from.

there has been thousands of crap bands from Dublin but that's no sllght on all the good ones.

This is the first time they have ever actually sounded like Whipping Boy! Woeful stuff altogether.

actually I'll bring up a wider point. Fontaines DC are no more representative of Dublin than the two Johnnies (Tipperary comedy song/radio presenter duo with lots of novelty songs about hurling) are of me.

the idea that someone is only a product of where they live or grew up is bullshit.
if someone is just being a cliche then they'd probably be a sucker where ever they came from.

there has been thousands of crap bands from Dublin but that's no sllght on all the good ones.
I think I've said it before on here that their representation of Dublin is pretty valid to me as it's a representation that no one who is actually from Dublin could do. It's kind of cool to me that they found the romance.

Yeah, I mean obviously they are not real but the marketing and styling is clearly working to pull the international audience in. And how many Irish bands fail to do this, even when they’re brilliant?

I was sorta thinking about it - to the internationals its 'aha - irish music, with accents and geographical notes'

and this is traceable to national stations in ireland being petrified of playlisting loads of irish artists all day - in the abscence of a sense of identity and pride, some pagentry is all the tastemakers can comprehend.

What's real?
So they're not from the Liberties. But Paul Weller ain't from Chigaco, he's from the Surrey Delta (which isn't a real thing, it confused me too), like a whole bunch of other white English guys. None of them from New Orleans or Harlem or Missisippi.

The Band are mostly Canadian, but play the most Americany music that American music can be.

The Pogues are London based.

I don't know what my point is. Music moves I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back