fil ums of 2006 (1 Viewer)

krossie

krossie is blaming it on a. the sunshine b. the mo
Website
www.ilovephilosophy.com
My own completely personal chart!
The ones the critics and, in many cases, the punters ignored.

In no particular order except for number 1 which was my favourite.

1. Redrock Dir: Andrea Arnold. – This got honourable mentions from a few critics noticeably Philip French in the Observer – Subtle, bleak and complex thriller set in a housing scheme in Glasgow. A female security woman scans banks of TV screens and becomes riveted by a man involved in a sleazy outdoor sex act at the back of a garage. Slowly she moves from behind the screens and cameras into the pretty shoddy reality of his life but why the obsession? Utterly stunning central performance from – throws you curved balls to the very end. – Superb film.

2. Mary Antoinette Dir: Sofia Coppola. Dissed by critics and ignored by the public. Unfortunately, in many respects, they were probably right – not the greatest film ever made but vastly enjoyable purely as eye and ear candy of the highest order “massive luxury overdose” – file under guilty pleasure I suppose.

3. Romanzo criminale Dir: Michele Placido. Every single critic featured The Departed some where in their chart. I think this tells us more about their relief that Scorsese had managed to drag out an OK ish if very over the top interpretation of the vastly superior Korean film: Infernal Affairs!
This Stylish gem pissed all over Martin’s OTT stuff with a subtle and awesomely stylish thriller about the 30 year or so reign of a gang of crazed suburban crims who decide to “invade” Rome. That Fredo lad (and the way he might look at you), a bumbling but sympathetic Boratt like police inspector and one savagely sexy and scary woman character – a master class in how to make a decent crime film. Scorsese should have the print super glued to his back side for future reference.

4. The Host Dir: Joon-ho Bong Superb Korean film. Some sorta giant fishy dragon yoke with fearsome gills is speeding through the sewage systems by the river. Horror, comedy, family soap opera or political statement? All the above and so much more. In fairness the great Donald Clarke from the Irish Times did big this up continuously. As to the punters there were about 5 single fellas in IFI2 the night I was at it - pity!

5. Que Vadis Baby Dir: Gabriele Salvatores Golly Gosh I never knew I was such an Italian film fan! This actually came out in 2005 but was slipped into the screen for a week or 2 for some strange and unexplained reason. Nothing like the joy of going to a film which no one has reviewed cause it doesn’t officially exist – weird.
A middle agedish, slightly unkempt Joy Divison loving, gothy female existentialist detective tries to investigate the mysterious death of her party hard sister back in the eighties.
Subtle and excellent from start to finish.

6. A Scanner Darkly dir: Richard Linelaker - Wickedly good casting of Keano Reeves especially after they suck his brain out! A really genuine tribute to P K Dick’s darkest moment – believe the hype the rotascope animation is superb – especially those face changy suit things!

7. Isolation Billy O’Brien: What’s this? - A genuinely good and disturbing Irish Horror film. Aliens crossed with cattle. What’s not too like?
(Good review at http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62580 Where one Mr. Hugh K David tells us: As one is always aware of in the art of cinema, it is easy to take a serious concept and render it in a comic manner, but it is very hard indeed to take a ludicrous-sounding concept and make the audience take it seriously.)

8. I’m Your Man Dir: Liam Lunson. Depends a lot on your position on Leonard Cohen I suppose but I loved this documentary of various assorted bods covering his tunes and commenting on his work. Needless, to say, his own contributions tend to tower over most of them. Check out the hapless Bono Vox – his leaving cert poetry knowledge clearly completely out of place at this, the deeper end of the philosophical swimming pool. I wasn’t the only punter in the Screen Cinema with their head in hands muttering: “you bring shame to our nation”. Watch out for the bizarre version of Tower of Song. U2 all in Rhinestone suits grinning like cats at the irony of being Leonard Cohen’s “band” (wow man – look at us) and Leonard quietly laughing on the inside (think rustling of dry Autumn leaves) at the god like ease with which he outclasses the loosers around him! Last laugh on him as ever. Fear not though there’s not enough U2 to ruin it thankfully. Also the beginning of total Martha Wainwright obsession for yours truly with her searing version of The Traitor being me second favourite song of the year!

9. Dumplings dir: Fuit Chan. A Hong Kong film I really liked but would not like to say again. Took a few hours before I could face any food after it and I had much pity for my vegetarian companion who toughed it out despite looking ready to die at any minute. A black, black, black, black comedy about wealth, youth and the rapidly declining value of pretty much close to every in advanced state capitalist society

10. Volver dir: Pedro Almovadar – Yeah I liked this loads – though no Penelope Cruz fan by any means. Simple and effective, funny and moving. This guy in lowest gear is still way in advance of almost anyone else. The usual subtle, some times affectionate but still highly ambiguous portrayal of women and families in strange and tangled situations.

Bubbling just out side the ten we have – Pan’s Labyrinth, Little Miss Sunshine (pure Hegel!), Flushed Away (cracking stuff!) Lady Vengeance, Flag of Our Fathers and Broke Back Mountain which had me bawling, .

And there’s the one that got away – The Squid and the Whale – if one more person tells me how good this was I may have to go straight to do a festival of cruelty on their ass…oh and Tommy Lee Jones “The three burials of Melquiades Estra” which sounds really amazing.

Er I'm pretty sure your favourite film of 2006 is called Red Road-Maybe you confused the title with early Nineties neo-Noir 'Red Rock West'. Either way 'Red Road' was, I agree, a great lil' fillum.

I was well impressed with The Departed, The Proposition and Caché & thought movies like The Three Burials..., L'Enfant, Undertow, Junebug, Brick and Paradise Now were well worth the entrance fee.

Bit of an underwhelming year for movies though, all in all. IMO obviously.

Bit of an underwhelming year for movies though, all in all. IMO obviously.

I thought it was a great year for films. These are one's that I especially enjoyed :

Pan's Labyrinth
The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine
The Squid and the Whale
Tideland
Volver
Thank You For Smoking

cling_film1.jpg

cling_film3.jpg

cling%20film.jpg

my favourite...
moblog_c1fcb5e31ca4f.jpg

I'm sure I saw plenty of good movies earlier this year but they've been erased from my brain by the last four I saw on a bus recently:

"little man", "bring in on 2" (!!!), and jean claude classics, "kickboxer" and "bloodsport". all dubbed into spanish.

Tideland
The Prestige
Hidden

Not sure what else I saw and liked (possibly forgetting loads)...I thought Volver was ok, but not great, same for various other stuff.

Mitchum
Er I'm pretty sure your favourite film of 2006 is called Red Road-Maybe you confused the title with early Nineties neo-Noir 'Red Rock West'. Either way 'Red Road' was, I agree, a great lil' fillum.
Eeeek - garsh darn it you're right sorry - Red Rock West had its moments too!

I forgot about Thank you for Smoking which was rather excellent and The Prestige was dead clever and also provided the final decisive proof that Scarlet Johanson is a talking piece of wood - though maybe with less charisma then a nice bit of pitch pine
...Damon are those real films??
I have time for Mr. Pharmacist's selection also!

kp

I will get this out based on your recommendation, Johnny. And also the plot summary:

When her big brother decides to ditch for a couple weeks in London, Viola heads over to his elite boarding school, disguises herself as him, and proceeds to fall for one of her soccer teammates. Little does she realize she's not the only one with romantic troubles, as she, as he, gets in the middle of a series of intermingled love affairs.

Football, love and gender bending. All the classic elements.

I will get this out based on your recommendation, Johnny. And also the plot summary:

When her big brother decides to ditch for a couple weeks in London, Viola heads over to his elite boarding school, disguises herself as him, and proceeds to fall for one of her soccer teammates. Little does she realize she's not the only one with romantic troubles, as she, as he, gets in the middle of a series of intermingled love affairs.

Football, love and gender bending. All the classic elements.

I can also heartily recommend " The Devil wears Prada"

I notice that nobody has gone for the obvious Wind That Shakes the Barley and Capote. Not buy into the hype or simply forgot these ones?

Also, although probably not a popular choice, I enjoyed the two musicals I saw this year : The Producers and Romance and Cigarettes. I was surprised. I went to them on a whim not knowing anything about them and not even realising they were musicals and ended up getting really drawn in. Romance and Cigarettes was definitely the strangest movie I saw all year, with Tideland a close second.

I didn't bother with Lady Vengeance after seeing Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. I found it all style and no substance really.

I forgot about The Host. That was a really cool movie too.

anyone see shes the man? heard its fucking awesome. also only got through the first 20 minutes of little man so nobody go posting any spoilers alright.

wind that shakes the barley was excellent "chicken cooooop"
the prestige, though hampered by a predictable conclusion was still great.
the departed was without doubt my favourite movie of the year as was little miss sunshine.
total recal was really good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back